GC deal on Sabian APX

Bluesman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thru August - buy a Sabian 16" APX crash for $159 and get a 14" APX crash free ($119 value).
Anyone played/heard these? I haven't, but this sounds like a deal.
From what I read these are cutting rock type cymbals.
whatta ya say? 8)

Bongojimi

Founder
Reaction score
Nothing is "Free" ...That being said how Good or durable can they be.
I own one Sabian and I 'm exstremely satisfied HH raw bell dry 21" ride.
I'm sure their marketing to the Kids just getting started and need cymbals.
They ain't Paiste sig. Fast crashes.

Bongo

jrfrond

DFO Master
Reaction score
dtk said:
Bermuda (Weird Al) is touring with them I think. I heard them this August and they sounded good thru the house....FWIW

Thanks for letting us know about the deal.
dtk
Yes he is. I heard them live when Al played NY. Sounded great. I've tried them as well. They seem to have the cut of Paiste, but with a more solid feel like typical Turkish-style cymbals. Pretty nice.

Bluesman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
jrfrond said:
dtk said:
Bermuda (Weird Al) is touring with them I think. I heard them this August and they sounded good thru the house....FWIW

Thanks for letting us know about the deal.
dtk
Yes he is. I heard them live when Al played NY. Sounded great. I've tried them as well. They seem to have the cut of Paiste, but with a more solid feel like typical Turkish-style cymbals. Pretty nice.
Well, I reckon I need to get to GC this weekend...

bermuda

Pro
Reaction score
bongojimi said:
Nothing is "Free" ...That being said how Good or durable can they be.
I am indeed using the APX (Solid) series on tour, and my first question to Sabian was "how do they hold up?" They weren't sure at the time (at NAMM in January) as they were new, but they know how hard I play and that I would put them to the test.

First, I will say that the Solid cymbals are GREAT! Lots of body, lots of sizzle, and plenty of volume, yet they'e not too clangy when played lightly. The regular line are really nice as well and would work perfectly in moderate to loud situations. The sound is very Paiste-like, in fact they are extremely close to 2002/Signature sound. If you like that, you'll love the APX and the price. They're definitely power cymbals though, too heavy & bright or quiet clubs or jazz.

As for durability, I am very impressed. If those were Paistes on my kit, they would have all been cracked after a few shows, a week at the most. The fact is, I did crack a 20" crash... but only after 35 two-hour shows of beating the hell out of it. I show cymbals no mercy, hit them straight on, and that's my main crash and takes the worst beating of all. The other cymbals - including my 16" splash - have held up just fine. I don't think most other drummers would punish them like I do, so they would certainly last longer for 99% of the guys out there.

The GC deal sounds pretty good, definitely check them out.

Bermuda

Bongojimi

Founder
Reaction score
Go for em
I'm a fan of Sabians....and I'd like to think that their honestly passing on a value. I've heard nothing but the best of their company and that their in it for the music..As much as the profit..
I guess I'm turning into a cynical old "Jazz" Fart...Oh well

Bongo

Aqualung

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I played a set, some of the worst cymbals i've ever heard. I heard NO Paiste similarity, unless you compare them to to PST 5's. They're pretty much a glorified B8.

Cannons

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I test drove some of the APXs recently and found them not to my liking. I couldn't get them to open up unless I really laid into them, similar to my experience with the Paragons. I adore Sabian's B20 cymbals, but their B8 offerings have always left me cold. For my money, Paiste and Meinl are the kings of the B8 alloy.

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
Without going into all the details of a recent review I would say that Bermuda's use of the cymbal is right on ... it'll take his style of playing and really was designed more for that than as a subtle style of playing. The reviewer indicated that it takes a pretty good wallop to get the sound up on those puppies. Perfect for Bermuda's self described style and also would account for the good sounds that J.R. and a few others mentioned hearing.

The price point is good and I would say that if that's a sound and effort to achieve that sound fits your style then go for it!!

Robb

Latest posts