Gel Dampners Review

Gretschrbguy

Reaction score
I too use the window clings…
Dirt cheap- go to hobby lobby and buy a whole sheet for buck or two. Added bonus: hobby lobby sells seasonal packs. Hearts for Valentine’s Day ❤️ , shamrocks ☘️ For st pat’s etc.
They work great!!

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've kept a container of Moon Gels around for those situations when I needed just a bit of control to the sound. I switched to the clear version when it became available, and I was pretty happy. They do eventually get gooey and messy.

This past November I was looking for Moon Gels and the shop that I was in was out of the clear version. They had Drum Dots, so I decided to try them. Five months in I think that I'm a Drum Dot convert. By now the Moon Gels would have turned to goo, the Drum Dots are still doing their job.

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
I used to use gels for years. Bit annoying when they lose their grip etc. And I always felt that a whole piece dampens too much so I had to cut them to smaller pieces, which would grip even worse.
But the last straw what when I started getting Moongel pack where the pieces had partially melted so you couldn't get them apart. Disgusting mess!

So I went back to duct tape, but this time just rolling small short tubes from it (glue on the outside) and they work great, AND in my opinion sound better that gels.
If I don't push the roll flat in to the head, they jqust trim the upper harmonics, not really cutting the sustain that much. And if I push them flat, they cut sustain too.
Cheap, movable, sounds great. I'll never go back to gels.

View attachment 555469
Inside out loops of gaff - I agree 1000% Once I started doing this, I knew the quest was over - unlimitedly versatile (can be any size large or small and placed anywhere), dirt cheap, stay attached, yet come right off and ZERO maintenance.

I've often used one liked pictured above - but placed right up against the rim - so that only a sliver of tape extends past the bearing edge onto the drum... providing just what I need but no more.

As I've posted many times - one roll of decent gaffer's tape and you're set for muffling for 20 years!!!

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I too use the window clings…
Dirt cheap- go to hobby lobby and buy a whole sheet for buck or two. Added bonus: hobby lobby sells seasonal packs. Hearts for Valentine’s Day ❤️ , shamrocks ☘️ For st pat’s etc.
They work great!!
I stopped using those cheapies years ago when I got colorful stains all over my white heads.

T-Dub

Reaction score
I like Drumtacs, thin rings and homemade dampeners from small pieces of old drum heads. Never liked moongels for all the reasons others have given. It's great that we have options and I appreciate everyone's experience!

Vicegrips

Reaction score
Anyone else like to experiment? Take a look at gekko tape. Sold at dollar stores, hardware stores etc as "Alien Tape". Thick, clear, no adhesive, washable. So no residue to leave. I had some left over from attaching a faux Dr. Who police box face to the apartment entry door. So I'm playing with small pieces on the kit. It's having very noticeable effects, so I trim another chunk and play some more.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I used to use gels for years. Bit annoying when they lose their grip etc. And I always felt that a whole piece dampens too much so I had to cut them to smaller pieces, which would grip even worse.
But the last straw what when I started getting Moongel pack where the pieces had partially melted so you couldn't get them apart. Disgusting mess!

So I went back to duct tape, but this time just rolling small short tubes from it (glue on the outside) and they work great, AND in my opinion sound better that gels.
If I don't push the roll flat in to the head, they jqust trim the upper harmonics, not really cutting the sustain that much. And if I push them flat, they cut sustain too.
Cheap, movable, sounds great. I'll never go back to gels.

View attachment 555469
I recently went back to this as well. When I first started playing I just used a small piece of duct tape rolled like this. I’ve got pics where I apparently used it on the bottom heads of my toms as well, but I have no memory of that (besides the old pics). Anyway - works great!

cashmanbashman

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will spray that fabric adhesive you get in a aerosol can on the moon gel when they loose their tacky ness. Spray it right into the container they come in and shut the lid. Let it sit a day or so and they’re good again.