Gene Krupa @ Metropole NYC Sep 1966

KINGTRIXON

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
At the most recent Connecticut Vintage Drum Show, I bought a set of vintage Gene Krupa photos that were taken at the METROPOLE CAFE in september 1966. 8 original, slighjtly faded snapshots arranged in a grid pattern, mounted in a nice picture frame. I couldn't resist, at $40.00, I thought it was a steal, what do you think?? I enhanced these two photos with my camera software.

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
Being the drumgeek that I am I would speculate that the blue sparkle snare in the background is a Ludwig Downbeat?

DrumBob

DFO Star
Reaction score
Can we see the rest of them, Rich?

Imagine being that guy sitting next to Gene. Best seat in the house. If it was me, I would have been staring at Gene the whole time. Did you notice that everpresent stage light to the left of his rack tom? You see that a lot in pics of GK.

KINGTRIXON

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Bob

The little Blue Sparkle snare drum on a stand looks more like a Gretsch 4x14 Max Roach model, with Gladstone lugs on it. The lugs are not the downbeat models that you would normally find on a Ludwig downbeat snare drum.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
richard
i think that was a great purchase. i would have jumped all over them myself. i'd have to hang on to those!

mike

vintagemore2000

DFO Star
Reaction score
Can we see the rest of them, Rich?

Imagine being that guy sitting next to Gene. Best seat in the house. If it was me, I would have been staring at Gene the whole time. Did you notice that everpresent stage light to the left of his rack tom? You see that a lot in pics of GK.
Bob, I was thinking the same thing, that guy sitting to Gene's left,, oh to be in that seat!!! WOW!!!

pete

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
they look great! i think you did pretty well. i love old photos, and to have some of one of the greats is just a really sweet addition to the collection. it's nice they got a shot of the outside of the venue. :occasion5:

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
I was born and raised in Manhattan. In 1966 I was 17 and the Metropole was between 48th & 49th St. Right around the corner from the biggest collection of music stores on one street anywhere. On week-ends the routine was that myself and two of my band-mates would haunt the stores on 48th Street checking out all the new equipment that had arrived that week. It was religiously followed by a trip to the Metropole to catch Woody Herman and his orchestra or whoever was being featured that week. We were too young to go inside because they served booze. But the front door was always wide open and there was generally a crowd out front on the sidewalk of about twenty to thirty people. We would weave our way to the front and watch some of the greatest players in the world play their asses off. Gene was one of the old-school great musicians that I got to watch from about thirty feet away. I watched his hands and feet like a hawk hunting food. That man always had a look on his face while he was playing like he had died and gone to Heaven. Gene would throw his head back sometimes and close his eyes while he wailed the tar out of those drums. It's the same look I saw many years later on a Sufi dancer who was lost in the ecstasy of deep meditation. Gene used to get that same 'far away' look as he played sometimes. It was a gas and a master class to watch him play.

I was a very lucky young drummer to have been able to see many of my drum heros up close and personal as I was growing up. See? New York isn't just a hell-hole and den of iniquity. It is and has always been, a hub of culture, music and art.

Great photos.

John

mlvbs

DFO Master
Reaction score
Great pics!

A good friend of mine went to see Gene at the Metropole dozens of times, he considers those times to be among the highlights of his life. About 10 years ago, he decided to see what had become of the original location (the club closed in the early 80's).

Here's what he found on the outside:

He noticed they were doing construction on the building, and one of the workers told him that they were completely gutting it. My friend paid one of the guys $20 to be able to take a look inside. In the entrance, he found the original mirrored wall still intact. It had been covered by another wall since the 80's.

A little further in, lots of construction, pretty much a mess:

When he looked up, he saw that the original moldings were still on the ceiling, which also had been covered up for years:

The construction guy let him take some of the mirrored wall, since everything was going to be trashed anyway. He gave me a small piece...I like to imagine some of the images that were reflected in these little mirrors...

The old location is now one of countless Broadway gift shops.

Thanks,
Bill

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Bill,

I'll give you $20.00 for just one of those little glass squares from the Metropole. It'll mean a lot to me. But - I will understand if you say no.

Serious... pm me.

BTW, if you were facing the back of the Metropole when you took the third photo, (the one with the worker on the right,) the bandstand was along the left wall running almost to the back of the club. There was a long bar underneath and directly in front of the band stand. Customers drinking at the bar could get hit with musician sweat because they were literally four or five feet away. Talk about up close and personal.

John

marko52

Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Reaction score
Wow! $20 well spent! ( he could have gotten 12 Tshirts instead). Those construction shots were great--love the ornate ceiling.....marko

cdlaine

DFO Star
Reaction score
Richard ...

Thanks for sharing...we are all preservationists...those little

snapshots make me wish I could time travel. Would just like to shake

Mr. Krupa's hand. I'm guessing his little quartet ?

Peace, Chas

KINGTRIXON

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I will post more of these pix later. There is one of Gene doing a drum solo with his sticks right on the upright bass player's bass!!

Wasn't this Slingerland kit up for sale on e-bay last year??

mlvbs

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bill,

I'll give you $20.00 for just one of those little glass squares from the Metropole. It'll mean a lot to me. But - I will understand if you say no.

Serious... pm me.

John
John - pm me with your address.

Richard, was thinking my Metropole shots fit in with the thread, but now realizing in my excitement I may have hijacked it. My apologies. Looking forward to the other pics!

-Bill

KINGTRIXON

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Bill

Your pics and story on the Metropole are entirely relevant, and really make this thread even more interesting ! Thanks for posting them !

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Bill,

Serious... pm me.

John
John - pm me with your address.

Richard, was thinking my Metropole shots fit in with the thread, but now realizing in my excitement I may have hijacked it. My apologies. Looking forward to the other pics!

-Bill
Bill, your pm mailbox is full! Do a little house cleaning and I'll send you my mailing address.

Thank you,

John