General Band Rules...

HHammerHeadD

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I didn't know really where to put this question, or even how to approach it, topic of band rules.

I seriously need to know these things. Its not like it used to be at all.
And The included question of , when do you know you are really a member of a band?
I don't mean some GyppO band either, I don't want no part of any gyp's.
I am summizing Tommy Wells is correct, in re-joining the union...
But, I am sincere in wanting to educationally learn how to interact and wanting to act and do things in an appropiate way of proper respect among band members. not just A band, but, any band
under the general demise of common sense, (rare commodity these days)
Please help me conquer this sense of , I don't know what happened?

Lee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Call me dense, but what is a 'Gyppo" band?

Are you in a democracy or an autocratic situation? Each would have different "rules".

Fortunately, in my current situation, we are a very "open" setting. We discuss ideas, add our input, evaluate and decide whether to continue on the project or move to something different. We are not a cover band, so input is critical in the five piece, soon going to 6 with the addition of Bobby moving up from the bay.

I don't think I have ever heard of band rules, except in a contractual sense. It is either a hobby or a business. If you get lucky, your hobby can become a business. I've been fairly lucky. Never gone national, but regionally have had great times and made some wonderful music.

I'm starting to ramble here...

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Lee said:
Call me dense, but what is a 'Gyppo" band?

howard was talking about a band of gypsys. a big thing several decades ago. :)

mike

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Just 2 members in my band...Me and the other guy :lol:
No rules, except be punctual for gigs and dress nice.
I'm having a blast, shoulda formed a duo a long time ago!

cdlaine

DFO Master
Reaction score
General Band Rules....

never sleep with the bass players wife....unless, of course, you are the bass player.

just tryin' to help.

Peace, Chas

poot

Penncrest Endorser
Reaction score
If the band gear turns up in your basement, it's a good sign you're in the band. :lol:
Don't waste your money joining the union. They'll do noting for you; the union only benefits classical musicians and old-boy jazz players living in urban areas. And the old boys have had the gig market locked unto themselves for decades.

HHammerHeadD

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, the Gyp'O's I was referring to are the ones that pay you by the piece work.

Most of the time, they use the phrase, ''We can 'use' you'', or ''I don't think we'll be able to 'use' you.''

They are the one's who seem to not ''work'' with you on issues that pertain to 'band business',
because, apparently, when they accept you to do a job for them, and even go as far as having someone make up business cards for promotion and such, 'You' don't have the right to post pictures of the band anyplace. Anywhere, or have permission to use their names, anyplace or anywhere.
Without their explicit permission...

Here is where I was told , ''I was out of line.'' My argument is this...
My name is on a business card. I thought I was a part of a band. I was proud of them as much as myself. I actually thought I wasn't doing anything wrong.
But, apparently, I should be ashamed of myself. Then the man says, ''too late, the damage has been done.'' Yet when try to talk to him, can't get a word in edgeways, and cannot find out ,'what damage'.
(I was informed that because of this mumbo jumbo, They aren't going to be able to use me>) :eek:
I would have personally have preferred the useage of the term, "Work with me"... But, no 2nd chances I reckon. I havn't heard anything to the contrary, and maybe just as well. I am in no situation to be argueing with anyone about anything...I just don't need the added stress.

But, this is the real reason for posting this ''band rules'' thread. Definately an experience, and if pictures of yourself and names of yourself are that big of a deal, either change your name, and wear some photogenic makeup to disquise yourselfs... or,

Have some BAND RULES so that every new commer to the band knows what to expect.

I am also referring to a said band, who plays nightclubs and does covers of other artists music.
I have had to join the Music Union for to do this in the past, to work a few places. and this is what I was referring to when I mentioned the union.

am I making sense here? Cuz it makes no sense to me, for what has happened. :?

HHammerHeadD

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Lee said:
Are you in a democracy or an autocratic situation? Each would have different "rules".
I don't think I have ever heard of band rules, except in a contractual sense. It is either a hobby or a business...

Good question, but with the hype, I would have to assume it is an autocratic situation, because of the details of my 'wrong' doings.

I guess I don't know how to answer the question of if it is a hobby or a business, as I havn't experienced this scenario before.
Maybe in light of the individual's eye's, maybe a dictator situation? :|

Monty

DFO Master
Reaction score
EvEnStEvEn said:
Just 2 members in my band...Me and the other guy :lol:
No rules, except be punctual for gigs and dress nice.
I'm having a blast, shoulda formed a duo a long time ago!

A duo eh? what's the set-up instrument-wise, and what kind of music do you guys play?

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
sorry to hear that things didnt go as planned howard. i would have thought that any exposure was good for any band looking for gigs. if it was that easy to mess up, sounds like it wasnt something you needed long term anyway. plus, it gave you the drive and the confidence to get back in there and show yourself that you could still do it. even with the back pain. their loss man,their loss.

mike

HHammerHeadD

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
cdlaine said:
General Band Rules....
never sleep with the bass players wife....unless, of course, you are the bass player.
just tryin' to help.
Peace, Chas
Geez Chas, I never considered that. They both have a closed conversation dialog about them, if thats the case... I would've never guessed :D jk
but, thanks for the humor. hah..haha

HH

cdlaine

DFO Master
Reaction score
made ya' smile ! :D

On a serious note.... sounds like incompatabilty issues... best to find out early before you've invested too much personal energy into the "band". One door closes...another opens. 8)

Peace, Chas

HHammerHeadD

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
cdlaine said:
made ya' smile ! :D
On a serious note.... sounds like incompatabilty issues... best to find out early before you've invested too much personal energy into the "band". One door closes...another opens. 8)
Peace, Chas

Yeah, ya did, ... :)
You are right about the one door closes,...another opens...I can only hope now I can take it, (physically)...
But you're right though, Chas.
Howard

HHammerHeadD

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am seriously rollin over the idea of making up a basic contract of mutual concern and respect for others associated with, in this venture... any idea's? Or, does anybody have anything like this that they wouldn't mind sharing? You know, concerning recorded music that you have participated in, pictures taken at practice or at the gig, posting pix or soundbytes/MP3's, ect., gig money splits, I know I am forgetting something here, but, most of you probly don't get mixed up with incompatabilty issues and Lame Brains/one sided affairs. I sure hope I don't, ever again. But I will be watchin out this time...

homeby5

DFO Master
Reaction score
Like any situation, communication is the key. Be adults and respect each other. I know its easier said than done but lack of communication has led to more hurt feelings than anything. Also, I think it's important for everybody to keep things in proper perspective. What I mean is that everybody has got to get on track with what the goal is. Needless to say there always seem to be some that thinks they are the next supergroup :roll: and on the other extreem some that just want to walk up and plug in 5min before start time (usually the bass player :wink: ).
One "rule" I go by is that if the front guy ain't comfortable than don't push doing a song that you like. I'm not saying he's king but he is the one that looks bad when the song just doesn't work.
Oh, and HAVE FUN!!!!!!!

HHammerHeadD

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I agree, that communication is KEY to any situation. I should have stated, that , It is impossible to read other peoples' minds. sorry, but That is a sense I lack, entirely.