George Fludas is Bonham 2.0 on drums

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey all, thanks for the kind words! I just joined the Forum.

Here is something I did recently for the People's Front Of Zeppelin YouTube channel. It's our cover of Four Sticks , with a twist. I wanted to pay tribute to Joe Morello and Take Five because of the similarity in the 3-2 pattern of the 5/4.

Welcome George.

what’s your take on this from Pages book? Double bass drums on the first album?

F83DD217-0A4F-465B-9761-2EC7A667EDCF.jpeg

Porgie66

Reaction score
George,
Many&massive thanks for making&taking the effort, time, trouble to make&post the videos,
Adrian from "the land down under" Australia hope you&your family are well?,
Love, peace, respect to you always.
Thanks Adrian, so far so good. I've got a bunch of stuff in the works for the YouTube channel... currently working on covering the HTWWW album. Since I've Been Loving You will post this weekend.

Best to you and yours as well!

Porgie66

Reaction score
Welcome George.

what’s your take on this from Pages book? Double bass drums on the first album?

View attachment 491403
I haven't seen or heard of that before!! It's definitely possible although I don't hear double bass drums on that track. He did play the double bass drums in summer '69 on about 5 or so gigs and that was that. Apparently bthe band didn't dig it, and Robert said that he would hide the other bass drum.

paulwells73

Reaction score
Wait! The drummer in the OP is the same as this guy? Jekyll and Hyde!

There are some very famous drummers who are constantly touted as being "versatile." But no one I’ve heard can truly inhabit more than one drumming style and really nail the nuances of feel and authenticity of those different styles like Fludas can.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There are some very famous drummers who are constantly touted as being "versatile." But no one I’ve heard can truly inhabit more than one drumming style and really nail the nuances of feel and authenticity of those different styles like Fludas can.
I'm not a judge of Bohnam authenticity, but, I really like the way he plays straight ahead jazz, which bares no resemblance to the Bohnam style in the OP. Having said that, trying to think of another drummer who can truly "inhabit" more than one style with authenticity, Ignacio Berroa comes to mind. JMO!

Last edited:

stuart s

Reaction score
I don't if its me, but when I hear him play Jazz I do hear a bit of Bonham seeping in here and there. But then again a lot of Jazz seeped into Bonhams playing.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
l
Dang! It's the first time I realize that this tune is ACTUALLY played with 4 sticks :blink: I sort of assumed the flam was some kind of delay/slapback trickery on the toms and the answer was there in the title the whole time, stupid me.... It couldn't have been any more obvious:violent1:
Anyway, good idea for a mash-up, greatly executed too!
Well that makes at least two of us. I didn't know he was playing with 4 sticks, either. I'll have to bring up this track later and have a listen.

GregR

Reaction score
Hey George. Welcome! I am a big fan from Bonzoleum's You Tube channel. Love your drumming!

Tarkus

Reaction score
Here's another fan of your channel (which was new to me), George.

Really liked your research on Bonham's cymbals. Impressive work. I mean, if Jimmy Page uses a Gibson SG or a Les Paul, you'll hear immediately the difference. But Bonzo's cymbals all had so similar sounds, even if they were produced by different companies like Paiste and Zildjian.

And congratulations to your drum sound. About 20 years ago, I was searching for such an old Ludwig kit 26/13/16/18, but had just no chance to find something. And if, prices were like 'I-don't-sell-full-stop'.

Maybe you're the one to ask a question about a particular drum set, John Bonham owned: his Hayman Vibrasonic. I read - years ago - that he owned it for a long time but had it only at home and never played it 'officially', due to his Ludwig contract. If I remember right, it was in midnight blue. I don't know if this is true, and of course I don't find the internet source any more, that mentioned it. Do you now something about it?

Edit: just found information on https://bonzobrosdrums.com/bonham
You know more about it?
Greetings from Germany
Markus

tbird8450

Reaction score
I love George's channel. It's impressive and refreshing to see someone of such extreme talent gleefully share his genuine passion with his audience.

On the other hand, he's an evil, calculating wizard whose hypnotic powers have taken a sizable chunk out of my bank account, as every time I watch a new video I seem to find myself purchasing yet another Paiste cymbal. *shakes fist in George's direction*

dsteinschneider

Reaction score
I really appreciate George sharing his Bonham covers because I can better see and hear how it's played than old footage from the 70's.

jb111

Reaction score
Total respect for George. I only know him through YouTube and Instagram, but he's an incredible musician.

stuart s

Reaction score
I love George's channel. It's impressive and refreshing to see someone of such extreme talent gleefully share his genuine passion with his audience.

On the other hand, he's an evil, calculating wizard whose hypnotic powers have taken a sizable chunk out of my bank account, as every time I watch a new video I seem to find myself purchasing yet another Paiste cymbal. *shakes fist in George's direction*
He needs to collect commissions from Ludwig and Paiste.

Carlos McSnurf

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks Adrian, so far so good. I've got a bunch of stuff in the works for the YouTube channel... currently working on covering the HTWWW album. Since I've Been Loving You will post this weekend.

Best to you and yours as well!
Hi George, you’re really best Bonham style nailing drummer I ever heard. Always pleasure to watch. Greetings

Porgie66

Reaction score
Here's another fan of your channel (which was new to me), George.

Really liked your research on Bonham's cymbals. Impressive work. I mean, if Jimmy Page uses a Gibson SG or a Les Paul, you'll hear immediately the difference. But Bonzo's cymbals all had so similar sounds, even if they were produced by different companies like Paiste and Zildjian.

And congratulations to your drum sound. About 20 years ago, I was searching for such an old Ludwig kit 26/13/16/18, but had just no chance to find something. And if, prices were like 'I-don't-sell-full-stop'.

Maybe you're the one to ask a question about a particular drum set, John Bonham owned: his Hayman Vibrasonic. I read - years ago - that he owned it for a long time but had it only at home and never played it 'officially', due to his Ludwig contract. If I remember right, it was in midnight blue. I don't know if this is true, and of course I don't find the internet source any more, that mentioned it. Do you now something about it?

Edit: just found information on https://bonzobrosdrums.com/bonham
You know more about it?
Greetings from Germany
Markus

Hi Markus,

Thanks so much! I think I read about a Hayman kit, maybe in Thunder Of Drums, but I have never seen any evidence of it. The only pre Zeppelin photo I've seen of John playing is on what looks like a Trixon kit, but maybe it's a Hayman?? This photo is from around 1965 so that's a bit early considering that source you noted says the Hayman kit was acquired in 1968. This photo looks like a Trixon kit. I wonder if he used the Hayman kit to record LZ 1?? I wish Mick Hinton was still around to ask.

Bonham w T. Webb .jpg