Gergo Borlai and the way he mounts his toms (R.I.M.S. mounts upside down)

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This has been discussed here before but it didn’t seem like anyone knew the answer. Maybe someone does now. Why does Gergo setup his toms with the R.I.M.S. mounts upside down? Is there a benefit? Is it harmful to the drum? Check the video out if you’re not familiar with this.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Three possibilities:

1. Personal preference based on experience.

2. Set up by a well-meaning, but brain damaged drum tech. Gergo didn't have the heart to correct his tech.

3. It's a Hungarian thing we can't begin to understand.

Sounds fine to me.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Three possibilities:

1. Personal preference based on experience.

2. Set up by a well-meaning, but brain damaged drum tech. Gergo didn't have the heart to correct his tech.

3. It's a Hungarian thing we can't begin to understand.

Sounds fine to me.
Yeah I just tried it with mine. Flipped the drum upside down and doesn’t make a difference. I think I liked it the regular way better, will stick with that :)

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
No idea why "he" does it that way.
But quite a few have done this. Me, for one.
I did it because it stabilized the drum a bit and looked better.
Not crazy about that RIMS look to begin with.
Look at the toms when this guy hits them ... they don't rock all over the place. Pretty stable.
Anyway, for me ... stabilization and looks. No clue why this guy did it, though.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Putting the RIMS Mount upside down takes the stress off the batter hoop, but places the stress on the shells lugs, so maybe he felt this freed the sound better? I don’t know. I use Gauger Alloy RIM but I’m more than fine with them under the batter hoop.

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
When mounting the toms from the same stand (like on the video), you can get the toms quite bit closer to each other if you mount the RIMS to the bottom hoops. This way the top hoops can almost touch each other, whereas they end up about 2" further apart of you need to squeeze 2 RIMS mounts between the top of the toms.

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ar least the original RIMS mounts would put some sideways pressure on the tension rods, interfering with tuning. Mounting them like in the video puts this pressure on the bottom lug swivel nuts instead. I've seen many drummers do this.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ar least the original RIMS mounts would put some sideways pressure on the tension rods, interfering with tuning. Mounting them like in the video puts this pressure on the bottom lug swivel nuts instead. I've seen many drummers do this.
It looks like they actually WERE engineered to go either way because there is a slot also on the other side of the mount for a memory lock that goes with the rod. Cool!

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It looks like they actually WERE engineered to go either way because there is a slot also on the other side of the mount for a memory lock that goes with the rod. Cool!
You mean the Gretsch bracket? Now that you mention it, I think all Gretsch brackets, from vintage diamond plates and brackets to Techware to modern hinged ones are symmetric so that you can insert the rod from either side. Of course, the old ones didn't have any memory locks.

I don't know if the RIMS inventor thought of mounting them upside down?

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This has been discussed here before but it didn’t seem like anyone knew the answer. Maybe someone does now. Why does Gergo setup his toms with the R.I.M.S. mounts upside down? Is there a benefit? Is it harmful to the drum? Check the video out if you’re not familiar with this.
Billy Cobham’s influence runs far, wide and deep!

Re: the RIMS, maybe the toms sound better when whatever stress the mounts put on the shell is closer ro the bottom bearing edge than the top.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You mean the Gretsch bracket? Now that you mention it, I think all Gretsch brackets, from vintage diamond plates and brackets to Techware to modern hinged ones are symmetric so that you can insert the rod from either side. Of course, the old ones didn't have any memory locks.

I don't know if the RIMS inventor thought of mounting them upside down?
Yeah these RIMS came with my Gretsch. And the memory lock on the DW tom holder fits perfectly into either side of the RIMS bracket. There’s a little slot on both sides for the memory lock to slide into.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So it looks like the memory locks for the toms came with my Gretsch. They’re not part of the DW holder. They are a Gretsch part and those RIMS are definitely made to go either way because those slots are on both sides of the bracket for the memory locks to go into.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
When mounting the toms from the same stand (like on the video), you can get the toms quite bit closer to each other if you mount the RIMS to the bottom hoops. This way the top hoops can almost touch each other, whereas they end up about 2" further apart of you need to squeeze 2 RIMS mounts between the top of the toms.
This.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
This is exactly correct! It allows you to get the toms closer together as long as their depths are different (and in most cases, they are).

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is exactly correct! It allows you to get the toms closer together as long as their depths are different (and in most cases, they are).
Yeah it works perfect with mine because the two toms are 1 inch different in depth

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah these RIMS came with my Gretsch. And the memory lock on the DW tom holder fits perfectly into either side of the RIMS bracket. There’s a little slot on both sides for the memory lock to slide into.
- RIMS came with your G's, or factory provided suspension mounts came with them? They're not quite the same thing.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
- RIMS came with your G's, or factory provided suspension mounts came with them? They're not quite the same thing.
Yeah I’m glad you mentioned it because they say Gretsch on them but they look like RIMS mounts. As far as I know, Gibraltar does the hardware for Gretsch. And doesn’t Gibraltar make RIMS?