Gergo Borlai and the way he mounts his toms (R.I.M.S. mounts upside down)

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Done it for many years. It's totally safe, the advantage is it's less hassle when changing the top heads, which you do a lot more then change bottom heads. This is my Dunnett kit with that set up, this is from about 25 years ago.

Dunnett.PNG

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah I’m glad you mentioned it because they say Gretsch on them but they look like RIMS mounts. As far as I know, Gibraltar does the hardware for Gretsch. And doesn’t Gibraltar make RIMS?
Yeah I’m glad you mentioned it because they say Gretsch on them but they look like RIMS mounts. As far as I know, Gibraltar does the hardware for Gretsch. And doesn’t Gibraltar make RIMS?
- RIMS is a trademark of Gauger Percussion. They are not made by Gibraltar. I replaced the G version that came with my 8x12 with a current version of RIMS; the difference in resonance is notable.

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes - I have done this in the past and the main and only reason I did it was to make it easier to change the batter heads. If you work a lot you are changing the batter head at least weekly. I change my resonant heads yearly at the very most. I have found the toms are less stable with the RIMS on the bottom and without the whole weight of the drum pulling down (when mounted on the batter side), so I've gone back to mounting them under the top (batter) rim.

halldorl

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did this all the time back when I had my Brady kit. Works just fine. Like Whitten above I did it to make it easier to change batter heads.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easier to change batter heads too!!
I'd guess that's the primary advantage. Most drummers change their batter heads a lot more often than they do the resonants, and changing heads with a RIMS mounts involved is a PITA.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
When mounting the toms from the same stand (like on the video), you can get the toms quite bit closer to each other if you mount the RIMS to the bottom hoops. This way the top hoops can almost touch each other, whereas they end up about 2" further apart of you need to squeeze 2 RIMS mounts between the top of the toms.
^^This. Took the words right out of my...hands.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think mounting on the bottom defeats the purpose of the "suspension" mount. I think, technically, it will inhibit resonance; sort of the difference between holding a drum by the top rim and placing it on a snare stand.
Of course the difference may not be discernible.