Get Back

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I took the opportunity to watch the entire series over the weekend. It reminded me a little of a statement about the reality of war from the perspective of the average soldier: "Long periods of boredom punctuated by short bursts of intense violence" (or something along these lines).

The Get Back film makes a similar statement about the reality of creating music and the indeterminacy of projects. As such, even it its highly edited state, I think the duration helps to give a sense of this reality as opposed to the experience of the final product of a recording session (such as a polished album). It is a fascinating study of group dynamics, of the struggles and breakthroughs of the creative process (which is often more on the spur than what people tend to think for even the most "visionary" of groups), character studies (and what characters!), and the ability to be one in the room, as it were, during the creation of some music that many of us know so well. It's the next best thing to being able to visit Apple Studios for a day and hang out with the band while they are working. As such, it is fascinating to witness, and to feel that intimacy, while still acknowledging that they knew the cameras were rolling, and that (as George says at one point) if they had discovered who they really were when they went to India, none of them would be there in the studio acting their part at that moment (suggesting that they are still not being their authentic selves).

It's probably not for everyone (it's not the best entry point into the Beatles, for sure). A shorter, tighter version could be culled for a more general audience, but then the feeling of the long endurance and existential angst would be diminished in a more truncated form. It would be like cutting the spanning desert scenes from Lawrence of Arabia to make it move along more quickly, when that desert expanse is key to entering into Lawrence's world.

Ringo throughout was quiet, relaxed, resigned - however you want to read his pound dog eyes. He often looked like he was tired (and seemed to have some late nights out). His drumming seemed to be taken for granted; he was a solid presence, never questioned, always playing the right thing at the right time. His drums sounded great. Aside from a few light-hearted moments from him, the most forceful and meaningful thing he said came near the end when there was still discussion if the rooftop concert was going to happen. George said he didn't want to be on the rooftop, and before Paul or John could waffle around some more, Ringo interjected, "I want to be on the rooftop." After keeping silent during so many of the other back-and-forth conversations among the others, Ringo (just like his drumming style), punctuated the conversation with a strong fill at just the right time. It was brilliant.

Thank you.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw "Let It Be." I read books quoting the Beatles themselves. I have seen quite a few Disney Corporation productions in my life.

I know I shouldn't bother engaging on this...but again, NOT a Disney production. This is a Peter Jackson (WingNut Films) and Apple Films production. Disney bought distribution rights for a property. That means they control the delivery system of the product (streaming, video, threatrical, etc.) and where it is delivered. They have no editorial control.

If you don't like the series, disagree with the objectivity/subjectivity of the film, or feel there's a whitewash, then you're entitled to your opinion and feelings.

But at least get your facts straight.

Last edited:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I know I shouldn't bother engaging on this...but again, NOT a Disney production. This is a Peter Jackson (WingNut Films) and Apple Films production. Disney bought distribution rights for a property. That means they control the delivery system of the product (streaming, video thratrical, etc.) and where it is delivered. They have no editorial control.

If you don't like the series, disagree with the objectivity/subjectivity of the film, or feel there's a whitewash, then you're entitled to your opinion and feelings.

But at least get your facts straight.

So, Disney has no editorial control over the content that goes out on their family-focused network?

It's notable that IMDB's Parents Guide give "Get Back" a "mild" rating for drug and alcohol references and a "moderate" for profanity. You'd expect more from the band who gave us "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" and "I Am the Walrus (Everybody Smoke Pot)," wouldn't you?

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So, Disney has no editorial control over the content that goes out on their family-focused network?

It's notable that IMDB's Parents Guide give "Get Back" a "mild" rating for drug and alcohol references and a "moderate" for profanity. You'd expect more from the band who gave us "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" and "I Am the Walrus (Everybody Smoke Pot)," wouldn't you?

I didn't say that at all. I'm saying they did not steer the editorial process of the film. They did not dictate what was and was not in the film. That's all I was talking about.

As far as the IMDB parent guide...not even a part of this conversation.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
VB , why must you always be so contrary?
I mean yeah go for it . But it seems that’s all you contribute . Nothing but snark .
You seem pretty smart .
??????????

Up to now, the most watched Disney Channel shows were episodes of "Phineas and Ferb" and "That's So Raven." Those ratings benchmarks may soon soon be eclipsed by "Get Back" Ep. 1 (spoiler alert) in which four things happen:

1. Five people sit n a circle. Four (The Beatles) make music and smoke. The fifth sorts her mail, silently.

2. Paul McCartney somehow pulls the hit "Get Back" out of the ether in what seems like a few seconds.

3. George Harrison quits the band in a huff.

4. Yoko Ono starts caterwauling into a microphone while the remaining three Beatles egg her on.

According to fitsy, watching "this is a privilege!' and my "Contrarian remarks are garbage!"

It's a Drum Forum, fitsy! You can't expect to have only your own opinion repeated back to you.

As for myself, there's four or five hours of Disney Beatles® ahead!

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Up to now, the most watched Disney Channel shows were episodes of "Phineas and Ferb" and "That's So Raven." Those ratings benchmarks may soon soon be eclipsed by "Get Back" Ep. 1 (spoiler alert) in which four things happen:

1. Five people sit n a circle. Four (The Beatles) make music and smoke. The fifth sorts her mail, silently.

2. Paul McCartney somehow pulls the hit "Get Back" out of the ether in what seems like a few seconds.

4. Yoko Ono starts caterwauling into a microphone while the remaining three Beatles egg her on.

According to fitsy, watching "this is a privilege!' and my "Contrarian remarks are garbage!"

It's a Drum Forum, fitsy! You can't expect to have only your own opinion repeated back to you.

What does the Disney Channel have to do with Disney+? They're not even close to the same thing.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
VB, your shtick has my full support. Hate on, brother.
I would just like more than just the shtick , I know you have to have more than just contrary remarks in there somewhere .
Heck , I’d miss the snark ……

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
The series is amazing. We get to watch 50 year old footage of the creation of iconic music, and it’s visually and acoustically clear as day. Contrarian remarks about this are garbage. This is a privilege.
If you say so.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score

5 cult members agreed with Having a Fitsy.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited: