Get Back

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yes, and people will disagree with your opinion. That's also OK.
We've had the bleak, more negative version of events (the original film) for 40+ years already. This is an attempt to show a more realistic version of what actually went down. You apparently have a problem with that, albeit you have NO IDEA what actually went down during the filming.
From my experience...
I was playing in an alt-rock band, everyone under 35. I got asked to jam one afternoon with Paul. I went into it thinking it was going to be Dad rock. He came in the room, strapped on a Les Paul and proceeded to let rip, screaming down the microphone etc. I had to check my prejudice at the door.
I spent a year in the studio making an album with him, and pretty much every day we were doubled over with laughter. Quite often he would just make up a song on the spot with crazy lyrics about some news event that had happened that day.
I can quite imagine with the intelligence and wit of both Lennon and McCartney, trying to outcompete each other, that the Let It Be sessions were filled with some crazy madness and a lot of laughter.
After three years with Paul I decided I needed to move on. Paul was pissed and I haven't spoken to him since. So it's not as if I'm posting at this forum because I owe him anything.
Go back to your cut and paste magazine articles. :headbang:
Always helpfull and inspiring to get first hand information. Cool story Thanks Chris

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Good summary of Ep. 2 (2 hours, 53 minutes).
6A7EE1D6-51B7-4487-90BE-70DE0353643D.jpeg

covinasurf

Reaction score
There’s a scene where Ringo is sitting behind the kit with this kind of bored look on his face while the others are twiddling around with guitar parts and vocals. I know that look, I have that same look at rehearsals with my band.

JH

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't read all 7 pages of this thread so don't know if someone's mentioned memorable drum moments, but....

Episode 2, last day at Twickenham...Mal picks up Ringo's bass drum with his left hand and the one-and-only 1963 BOP JazzFest - on it's Buck Rogers stand - in his right hand and carried both out. No cases. Anyone else holding their breath while waiting to see if the snare slips away?

Episode 3, roof...proving his hammer is not only good for "Maxwell," Mal nails down Ringo's drum stands to keep them from blowing away. I recall photos of other 60s kits, I think one of Carmine Appice w/Vanilla Fudge in "Ludwig Drummer," showing the same 1960s "bend-the-nail-over-the-stand" technique.

Whilst (seems appropriate) not heard as far as I can observe, is this the only time Ringo set up a splash cymbal?

Zilco drum brochure on top of the piano.

How many of us have been playing "Get Back" doubling on the left rather than the right hand for the past 52 years?

Saddest moment for drummers? I would vote for the look on Ringo's face when Paul says "...and there there were two..."

Listening today to entire Let It Be, Naked, having now watched the video of the weeks leading up, even more remarkable to me how they pull it together and leave another set of legacy tracks. I am grateful for the opportunity to watch how those weeks and songs unfolded.

Ludwig Maple Hollywood offset.JPG

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't read all 7 pages of this thread so don't know if someone's mentioned memorable drum moments, but....

Episode 2, last day at Twickenham...Mal picks up Ringo's bass drum with his left hand and the one-and-only 1963 BOP JazzFest - on it's Buck Rogers stand - in his right hand and carried both out. No cases. Anyone else holding their breath while waiting to see if the snare slips away?

No point in even using a Buck Rogers unless you're going to clamp the snare drum into the basket like it's a vice. ;)

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Making my way through episode 3. Did hit fast forward when Yoko opened her mouth. Enough about that…. I do get a bit agrivated with the the time wasted in the studio when you have George Martin and Glynn Johns at your disposal. But then I remember history hasn’t been written at this point

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Episode 3, roof...proving his hammer is not only good for "Maxwell," Mal nails down Ringo's drum stands to keep them from blowing away. I recall photos of other 60s kits, I think one of Carmine Appice w/Vanilla Fudge in "Ludwig Drummer," showing the same 1960s "bend-the-nail-over-the-stand" technique.

Whilst (seems appropriate) not heard as far as I can observe, is this the only time Ringo set up a splash cymbal?

How many of us have been playing "Get Back" doubling on the left rather than the right hand for the past 52 years?

Saddest moment for drummers? I would vote for the look on Ringo's face when Paul says "...and there there were two..."

Listening today to entire Let It Be, Naked, having now watched the video of the weeks leading up, even more remarkable to me how they pull it together and leave another set of legacy tracks. I am grateful for the opportunity to watch how those weeks and songs unfolded.

View attachment 531055

...Anyone else holding their breath while waiting to see if the snare slips away?
- Yep

...Whilst (seems appropriate) not heard as far as I can observe, is this the only time Ringo set up a splash cymbal?
- Raised my eyebrow

...How many of us have been playing "Get Back" doubling on the left rather than the right hand for the past 52 years?
- Yep, but remember - Ringo's appendages are paradoxical

...Saddest moment for drummers? I would vote for the look on Ringo's face when Paul says "...and there there were two..."
- Tough scene

...Listening today to entire Let It Be, Naked, having now watched the video of the weeks leading up, even more remarkable to me how they pull it together and leave another set of legacy tracks. I am grateful for the opportunity to watch how those weeks and songs unfolded.
- Ditto to that!

Last edited:

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
There's another scene I think part one that I thought was funny, Ringo setting up the blue throne with back rest, almost like...."Well I'm going to be sitting a lot while these guys figure stuff out". The throne looked like it was a tractor style? Didn't look round. Also never seen one from that era with a back.

The finality of it hit when the roof top show was over and the sub titles read that it was their last public performance. I don't listen to them that often but I'm sure I'll be on a binge for a while now.

jb78

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved this documentary more than I can express in words.

Anyone know what cymbal Ringo was crashing down by his floor tom on the rooftop?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what cymbal Ringo was crashing down by his floor tom on the rooftop?
discussed in the Later Era Ringo cymbals thread post #81
and the small indoor 12"ish cymbal post #39

Last edited:

Muns

Reaction score
Great scene part 2:
Fop wierdo, Michael Lindsay-Hogg: "Do you like India?"
Ringo with massive eye roll: "Not really."

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I loved this documentary more than I can express in words.

Might have been his 18" A that was floating around during the sessions, but I didn't look closely.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, and people will disagree with your opinion. That's also OK.
We've had the bleak, more negative version of events (the original film) for 40+ years already. This is an attempt to show a more realistic version of what actually went down. You apparently have a problem with that, albeit you have NO IDEA what actually went down during the filming.
From my experience...
I was playing in an alt-rock band, everyone under 35. I got asked to jam one afternoon with Paul. I went into it thinking it was going to be Dad rock. He came in the room, strapped on a Les Paul and proceeded to let rip, screaming down the microphone etc. I had to check my prejudice at the door.
I spent a year in the studio making an album with him, and pretty much every day we were doubled over with laughter. Quite often he would just make up a song on the spot with crazy lyrics about some news event that had happened that day.
I can quite imagine with the intelligence and wit of both Lennon and McCartney, trying to outcompete each other, that the Let It Be sessions were filled with some crazy madness and a lot of laughter.
After three years with Paul I decided I needed to move on. Paul was pissed and I haven't spoken to him since. So it's not as if I'm posting at this forum because I owe him anything.
Go back to your cut and paste magazine articles. :headbang:

Thank you, Chris! Flowers in the Dirt is where I first became aware of you and your playing, though I'd heard it before(Waterboys, Julian Cope, Edie Brickell, etc.), I've cribbed a few fills from you, especially Figure of Eight(LP version), also saw you twice on that tour. Rock on!

Dan

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed that as well, not only carrying the bass drum one handed but with the pedal still attached dangling like a giant lever. That image does the same thing to me as nails on a chalkboard. If only they knew then what does drums would be worth to some.

View attachment 531055

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed that as well, not only carrying the bass drum one handed but with the pedal still attached dangling like a giant lever. That image does the same thing to me as nails on a chalkboard. If only they knew then what does drums would be worth to some.

Reminds me of these days, still good old Mal....

1638460772032.png

1638460801733.png

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

View attachment 531055

Ringo is a lefty playing right handed drums, so his dominant hand is playing the main hit, like yours is.
On tour I played it all single stroke, hand to hand, because it sounded better to me.

robthetimekeeper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm watching part 2 now. They put a solid barrier in front of Ringo's drums. Since I can only see his head, and not his hands, I unfortunately tend to focus on his eyebrow. His weird, thin, creepy eyebrow.