header.nohb.html

Getting a modern workhorse kit, which one should I go with?

Which one should I go with?

• Stage Custom

Votes: 33 57.9%
  • Catalina birch LE

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Something else, propose!

Votes: 21 36.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have always been into vintage drums and still am. I don’t see any way I would sell my 3-ply Mahogany Premiers, or replace it with any other vintage set unless it is something really really special or for some reason I have to, and I don’t need a second vintage set, although I would love a 20/14/12 Rogers set. So, I’m keeping what I have.
However, I want to get a workhorse modern kit that tunes well, looks nice, has sturdy and reliable hardware, records well, plays well live, portable, etc. Something I can do everything with.

I want a brand new kit, in this price range you don’t save much on used kits. I want to stay under $1000. There are some options out there for both birch and maple but I want to pick the best drums in terms of quality and sound. Premiers are already Mahogany, so I’d get something else.

Sizes: 20/14/12+matching snare, add ons are bonus but not must. I prefer bass drum mounted toms.

My top picks are stage custom in white and Gretsch catalina birch limited edition with a duco finish (recently discovered it). I am not really a Mapex or Pearl or pdp guy in this price range.

Stage custom: shell depths not my ideal but ok, I like the pure white finish. I have heard SO many good things about this kit. At first I was tinkering with the idea of getting tour customs but at $1350, I think SCs are better value.
$709 for 20/14/12/10, 16” floor add on is $199.

Catalina birch limited edition: 7-ply birch shell with limited finishes available, the duco is cool but not everyone’s cup of tea. Cool touches here and there. Traditional depths. Not sure how the quality is compared to stage customs and how it would hold up but I like it overall.
$799 for 20/14/12/10

Any other proven amazing kits that fit the bill?

DFC40152-65F6-4112-B9F5-F6641605374F.jpeg

C09399B4-ED1A-4DAD-A0E8-4FE1E066D53A.jpeg

Real color:
82D5120C-0450-4DA7-86C2-B0ADAB65D044.jpeg

Last edited:

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Get a modern maple kit with unsupported shells without rerings. The sound difference between my Montineri maple and Premier mahogany are day and night. The maple provides a louder and cleaner tone.

drumbum91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm playing a "modern" kit although its discontinued but you can sometimes find them barely used. The premier genista, I have the 24,13,16 setup.. I've been looking for a 22" bass drum and 12" tom to open up the options but I cant find them in the same finish. Birch shells and they sound killer, super reliable. I leave them in our band trailer and I dont have to worry about them..

That said, I'm looking at the stage customs too. Yamaha seems to have some really good hardware and every SC kit I have heard really turns heads. They might be the most workhorse kit out there right now. If I can afford to do it, I really want some Tama Starclassics or Gretsch Renown drums.. Good luck with the search!

Omega27

Reaction score
My vote for either the Gretsch or Yamaha. I have the SC and Gretsch Catalina mahogany (can't vouch for the birch) and love them both. The Yamaha surprises me every time I sit down to play them and the Gretsch...same thing! Aaahh... screw it, just flip a coin!

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My vote for either the Gretsch or Yamaha. I have the SC and Gretsch Catalina mahogany (can't vouch for the birch) and love them both. The Yamaha surprises me every time I sit down to play them and the Gretsch...same thing! Aaahh... screw it, just flip a coin!
Do stage customs have better build quality when you compare both of your kits?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do stage customs have better build quality when you compare both of your kits?
The only Gretsch line I didn’t like were Catalina’s. And I’ve had them and loved them all!

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I typed some stuff. I deleted some stuff.

Given a choice between these two kits I’d go with the Yamaha.