Getting a modern workhorse kit, which one should I go with?

Which one should I go with?

• Stage Custom

Votes: 33 57.9%
  • Catalina birch LE

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Something else, propose!

Votes: 21 36.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Oh sorry , misunderstood . No Brooklyn’s .
I was fortunate with the Brooklyns. Sweetwater gave me a nice discount on one of their micro kits back in November. I love smaller format kits, and I REALLY love the Brooklyn line from Gretsch. I would have been happy with the Renown RN2 kit I was eyeing, but I am ecstatic over the Brooklyn.

D

DBT

I was fortunate with the Brooklyns. Sweetwater gave me a nice discount on one of their micro kits back in November. I love smaller format kits, and I REALLY love the Brooklyn line from Gretsch. I would have been happy with the Renown RN2 kit I was eyeing, but I am ecstatic over the Brooklyn.
I’m restoring / modifying my RB’s which are going into my sound room and aren’t moving from there . I just sold my Anniversary’s , my very first 72’ SSB’s I’ve finally decided to sell ( they’ve been sitting stacked in cases along with all my Camco hardware since the mid 80’s . I had a 10 pcs. 87’ USA kit up until Christmas . I have my little student the Bop part of the kit and I’m playing the rock sizes but they are going to be going to him too . That leaves me no gigging kit . The last week I’ve been thinking about a new White Marine Pearl Brooklyn kit a lot .

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I’m restoring / modifying my RB’s which are going into my sound room and aren’t moving from there . I just sold my Anniversary’s , my very first 72’ SSB’s I’ve finally decided to sell ( they’ve been sitting stacked in cases along with all my Camco hardware since the mid 80’s . I had a 10 pcs. 87’ USA kit up until Christmas . I have my little student the Bop part of the kit and I’m playing the rock sizes but they are going to be going to him too . That leaves me no gigging kit . The last week I’ve been thinking about a new White Marine Pearl Brooklyn kit a lot .
Here's my Brooklyn:
brooklyn-6.jpg

SteveParadis

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you checked out Canopus Yaiba- their workhorse.

D

DBT

That’s what I’m talking about . Correct me if I’m wrong but there isn’t much difference in the Brooklyn and USA’s other then the limited colors/ wraps and the badge color . They are still made here and have all the USA hardware along with the 6 ply shells correct ? Excellent valve compared to the USA’s .

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am so tired of seeing and reading about the Stage Customs. They sound and look generic. I find them really boring…in every way. They are the Toyota Tercel of the drum world. I have played several over the years and I’m always underwhelmed by them. Are they functional? Yes. Are they cheap? Yes. Are they great sounding? Hell no.

So, since the OP is really only open to the Gretsch or the Yamahas, I’d vote for the Gretsch set.

/rant over

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
That’s what I’m talking about . Correct me if I’m wrong but there isn’t much difference in the Brooklyn and USA’s other then the limited colors/ wraps and the badge color . They are still made here and have all the USA hardware along with the 6 ply shells correct ? Excellent valve compared to the USA’s .
I think one of the key differences is the USAs have die cast hoops and the Brooklyns have the 302 (stickchopper) hoops. Since I am mainly a brush player the 302 hoops are perfect for me. And, there is a difference in the shells (I think), and the Brooklyn finishes and other options are less than the USAs.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Brooklyns are awesome drums but they are way, way above the level of the other drums mentioned in the original post.

The Brooklyns are maple/poplar, have a different layup recipe, different hoops, etc.. They sound and feel quite different from the USA Customs. They are great drums though.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I am so tired of seeing and reading about the Stage Customs. They sound and look generic. I find them really boring…in every way. They are the Toyota Tercel of the drum world. I have played several over the years and I’m always underwhelmed by them. Are they functional? Yes. Are they cheap? Yes. Are they great sounding? Hell no.

So, since the OP is really only open to the Gretsch or the Yamahas, I’d vote for the Gretsch set.

/rant over
You may not like than; many of us so and mainly for good reason. I am not wild about the bass drum depth on my bop kit, but love the super shallow depth on my hip kit. And owning a few Catalina kits of varying vintages and two Stage Custom kits I think I have a good reference of comparison between the two. That is why I would not hesitate to recommend the Stage Customs over the Catalinas. Have you actually owned Stage Customs? How about Catalinas? I can tell you that the build quality of the Stage Customs are vastly superior to the Catalinas - from experience and actual use.

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

/rant over
I have no doubts that stage customs sound great, but I agree that they don’t have the cool look of some other brands. The fact is that you can never go wrong with Yamaha but I was trying to see what else is out there or if anyone likes other kits in the same league.

stevil

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stage Custom + bearing edge work by a pro drum tech = Recording Custom

I’m also a big fan of DW Performance series, especially if you get the bearing edges cleaned up.

Bottom line: bearing edges will make almost any entry level kit sound and tune like a professional level kit.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
When I was considering the Gretch options (Renown vs. Brooklyn) a serious contender was Tama Starclassic Walnut/Birch. The problem was they were always out of stock and Sweetwater did not offer a snare drum, bundled or separately, so I scratched that off my list of choices. By the way, they are still not carried by anyone that I routinely browse.
Serious bummer.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Stage Custom being the number one selling set at the shop, I am always comfortable recommending it. And the white finish is beautiful. If you were to up the budget just a tiny bit and get a Sonor AQ2 Studio set though, I think you would be very satisfied with it in every way. If someone has stock nearby , I would recommend giving her a look.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You may not like than; many of us so and mainly for good reason. I am not wild about the bass drum depth on my bop kit, but love the super shallow depth on my hip kit. And owning a few Catalina kits of varying vintages and two Stage Custom kits I think I have a good reference of comparison between the two. That is why I would not hesitate to recommend the Stage Customs over the Catalinas. Have you actually owned Stage Customs? How about Catalinas? I can tell you that the build quality of the Stage Customs are vastly superior to the Catalinas - from experience and actual use.
I owned a set of Catalinas and did not like them. However, I have played a bunch of Stage Customs - mostly backline or practice kit situations- and have never found what the appeal is. I mean they are cheap so there’s that, but they lack character in both sound and visual appeal, at least to me.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I owned a set of Catalinas and did not like them. However, I have played a bunch of Stage Customs - mostly backline or practice kit situations- and have never found what the appeal is. I mean they are cheap so there’s that, but they lack character in both sound and visual appeal, at least to me.
Fair enough. Everyone has opinions that are valid based on their own perceptions, and yours is because you have played both. That said, I (and apparently more than a few others) continue to recommend the Stage Customs. And, like I said, for their normal (18, 20 & 22 + diameter) bass drums I find them less than optimum, but cannot argue with the sound, quality or value. The Hip kit, though, is one of my favorites. Would not trade that one for much more expensive kits.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
I am not into pdp or mapex. I may consider used renowns if they are below $1k but not really interested in their finishes.
Look into those Renowns.
The kit I got recently has been an epiphany for me.
I've owned Neusonics,punchy,responsive,very modern sounding.
I own a Ludwig Birch Icon kit,A-B d it with my Stage Customs.
The Ludwig were responsive and punchy but more overtones.
The S.C.s ,to my ear, were stiffer sounding ie cleaner with a presence
I really dig the S.C.s but the Icons,love those tones.

Last edited:

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m gonna vote Pork Pie Hip Pig.

Superior sound. Superior looks. Solid hardware.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Different hoops and I think the shell recipe is a bit different. I’ve had both and prefer the USA Customs as I think they have a brighter tone and a sharper attack. To me the Brooklyns were a bit tubby and bland by comparison.