Getting a modern workhorse kit, which one should I go with?

Which one should I go with?

• Stage Custom

Votes: 31 67.4%
  • Catalina birch LE

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Something else, propose!

Votes: 12 26.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
When I built my gigging set years ago I chose to go with a wrap after seeing my nice lacquer Yamahas start getting dinged up on gigs. That has proven to be a good choice, since after 20 years they still look like new.

At home I have a set of Catalina Maples, and while they sound great to me, I'd hesitate to gig them, both because they're lacquered and because I wonder about the durability of the hardware. I have YESS mounts on my working drums, and they have held up extremely well.

Given the choices stated, I'd probably go with the Stage Customs. Reluctantly.

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ten votes so far for something else.

Built by Bill Detamore himself - Pork Pie $937 or offers. Light years better than a mid-priced new kit

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about a Pearl Decade Maple in a wrap? Great hardware, good sounding kit, good warranty, under $1K USD.

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ten votes so far for something else.

Built by Bill Detamore himself - Pork Pie $937 or offers. Light years better than a mid-priced new kit
Not a fan of hanging floor toms or floor toms on snare stand but nice kit overall. Still 3 piece versus 5 piece and for more money.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'll be the second vote for the Catalina Birch. I've played a set at a rehearsal studio for a band that I was sitting in with and found them to be really nice sounding drums. On top of that, I gig the socks off a Gretsch Catalina Bop kit and love them. They have never had a hardware issue in the 7 plus years I've owned them and they have a couple hundred gigs on them now. They have been repeatedly set up and torn down without a single problem. With the right heads and good tuning they sound great and do the job they are intended to do.

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got a Stage Custom set in those sizes, so I might be a bit biased.
Full disclosure though - I'm a tinkerer and cut rounder external edges on them.
I also have the inverse dyna hoops on them from a Tour Custom set.
I replaced the dyna hoops with S hoops before selling the Tours though, so I feel OK about that.
Bottom line is that they sounded pretty good before I worked on them, but I think they sound great now.

Years back when I was looking for an inexpensive bop size kit, I compared the Stage Customs with the
Tama Silverstars, and thought the Tamas had the edge.
They don't make the Tamas anymore, and Yamaha has made some improvements since then so that I
think they would come out about equal.

About the Neusonics - I think they sound great, but agree that visually, there's not much appealing about them.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in Merced today and there is a stage custom 10 12 14 20 for sale here that seems nice and cheap.....

Screenshot_20220113-120253.png

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
what dimensions specifically and What's Your Target Price limit
@Jazzhead
used to like the (look of) Gretsch Ash and Gretsch Marquee may still be around)

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've got a Stage Custom set in those sizes, so I might be a bit biased.
Full disclosure though - I'm a tinkerer and cut rounder external edges on them.
I also have the inverse dyna hoops on them from a Tour Custom set.
I replaced the dyna hoops with S hoops before selling the Tours though, so I feel OK about that.
Bottom line is that they sounded pretty good before I worked on them, but I think they sound great now.

Years back when I was looking for an inexpensive bop size kit, I compared the Stage Customs with the
Tama Silverstars, and thought the Tamas had the edge.
They don't make the Tamas anymore, and Yamaha has made some improvements since then so that I
think they would come out about equal.

About the Neusonics - I think they sound great, but agree that visually, there's not much appealing about them.
Yes it was about 9-10 years ago as well when Tama had the silverstars bop kit, I really liked the vintage natural Finish I remember and they seemed better built than stage custom of the time. These new improved ones though are nicer.

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
what dimensions specifically and What's Your Target Price limit
@Jazzhead
used to like the (look of) Gretsch Ash and Gretsch Marquee may still be around)
20/14/12, added toms are bonus like 10” or 16” floor, if I need to I can add these on SC.
Traditional or close depths, bass drum is ok to be a little deeper.
Prefer bass drum mounted toms and NO hanging floor toms.