Getting a modern workhorse kit, which one should I go with?

Which one should I go with?

• Stage Custom

Votes: 33 57.9%
  • Catalina birch LE

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Something else, propose!

Votes: 21 36.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For stage customs, Should I do 22/16/12/10 or 20/14/12/10+16” floor?
I don’t play heavy rock or metal but you know sometimes the drums are not miced and you gotta keep up with the guitar player sound-wise.
I’d go 20” easier to set up Tom’s and 20” kick drums always sound good

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I prefer the sound, build & finishes of the catalina mahogany over the yamaha sc for a midrange 20/12/14 gigger.

I assemble both regularly and i have a yamaha sc hip in my living room that constantly detunes.

The tama neo mod w the 20 are really nice as well.

Last edited:

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t play heavy rock or metal but you know sometimes the drums are not miced and you gotta keep up with the guitar player sound-wise.
You can always get a 16 later, they’re not that much money.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My new go to set is CM Ludwig, 9x10, 10x12, 16x16 with a 14x20" bass. I have a smaller and larger set up but the new CM's cover 95% of what I need.

sherm

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

I went with a 20", mainly for tom placement.
If you're talking a new set, the mounted toms are an inch shallower than the older Stage Customs,
so if you go with a 22", you'll only be an inch higher than the older sets - splitting the difference.

The add on toms are a nice consideration.
I'd like to get a 13 mounted and 16 floor to go with the stock set.
If Yamaha would make an 8 lug, 18" bass drum for the Stages, I'd probably get one of those too.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I don’t like Pearl’s tom mount system.
My vote would also be for the Decade Maple, for the same reasons that Steech gave.
If you don't like the tom mounting system, get the bass drum virgin and either fly the tom(s) off the cymbal stands (using whatever tom mount you prefer) or just set the tom on a second snare stand.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
20/14/12, added toms are bonus like 10” or 16” floor, if I need to I can add these on SC.
Traditional or close depths, bass drum is ok to be a little deeper.
Prefer bass drum mounted toms and NO hanging floor toms.
What do you think about 18/12/14 with an additional 22 or 24 BD, that could be used in place of the 18, when you needed a bigger boom under your foot?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
watch it Elvis; this is one of those guys that asks but never buys anything careful..

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What do you think about 18/12/14 with an additional 22 or 24 BD, that could be used in place of the 18, when you needed a bigger boom under your foot?
I don’t really need two bass drums. I’m trying to just get a modern set that would be versatile. 18” doesn’t do anything for me as I am not a strict jazzer. 22” is good but a bit big, so I was wondering if 20” bass would do it but it’s different from drum to drum really. I have played 20” bass drums that weren’t that powerful and I have also played a 20” Rogers bass drum that was amazing.

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
watch it Elvis; this is one of those guys that asks but never buys anything careful..
I asked about Armands and bought a whole set of them just last month. I asked about 20” k custom ride and bought one as well, asked about drum chair and just bought a roc n soc from a great forum member here, and many other stuff, including purchases here from forum members.
How did you arrive at this conclusion?

Plus Elvis doesn’t need to be careful about anything, he is behind his computer probably hundreds or thousands miles away, no danger here…

Carlos McSnurf

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ten votes so far for something else.

Built by Bill Detamore himself - Pork Pie $937 or offers. Light years better than a mid-priced new kit
Exactly. If you can get slightly used custom shop built (and they don't hold their high price) it's absolutely the best bang for a buck here both to studio and live.
Myself I was sceptic until I bought Pork Pies to try.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I don’t really need two bass drums. I’m trying to just get a modern set that would be versatile. 18” doesn’t do anything for me as I am not a strict jazzer. 22” is good but a bit big, so I was wondering if 20” bass would do it but it’s different from drum to drum really. I have played 20” bass drums that weren’t that powerful and I have also played a 20” Rogers bass drum that was amazing.
Fair enough.
FWIW I once had a 20/12/16 kit that I sometimes wish I had back.
Good luck.

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah - 'Carlos McSnurf'. In looking for that one I linked to I found a local Pork Pie for sale. Absoute bargain. Under $1000 for a high end drum set overseen by Bill Detamore.

I play a Custom Pork Pie bop kit and I was going to bring the brand up in this thread, but for whatever reason, they get no traction here. It's like whistling into the wind. I'm not even sure anyone here plays them.

Agreed about Bill Detamore, he's a real gentleman that knows how to build high quality drums.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I asked about Armands and bought a whole set of them just last month. I asked about 20” k custom ride and bought one as well, asked about drum chair and just bought a roc n soc from a great forum member here, and many other stuff, including purchases here from forum members.
How did you arrive at this conclusion?

Plus Elvis doesn’t need to be careful about anything, he is behind his computer probably hundreds or thousands miles away, no danger here…
Or maybe Elvis has left the building?

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Exactly. If you can get slightly used custom shop built (and they don't hold their high price) it's absolutely the best bang for a buck here both to studio and live.
Myself I was sceptic until I bought Pork Pies to try.
I agree, with $1000 or even less you can get a used custom made maple kit that is probably superior to a mid range kit (construction wise), not just pork pie but modern drum shop, precision, drummer’s world, etc. But that’s $1000 just for 3-piece and no add ons possible or every add on is going to be $400 and then 20”x20” bass? I do agree they are better built drums but I wanted to stay closer to traditional depths too.

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I guess my question is would 20” bass cut it when played unmiced with a louder band?

Someone told me once if the 20” doesn’t cut it, probably 22” won’t either, you’ll need a 24” maybe (unmiced).