header.nohb.html

Getting a Supraphonic to sound like a Super Sensitive

Remington700

Reaction score
This might be a strange question, and I'm not even sure which forum to post it in.

Has anyone had any luck maybe using different snare wires to get their 6.5" Supra to sound and play like a 6.5" Super Sensitive?

My mind keeps going back to about 30 years ago when a friend left his 411 at a rehearsal space for a few months. That drum's tone, backbeat, sensitivity, and consistency left a permanent mark on my memory.

I never had the opportunity or means to buy one of my own and should've bought a "B" model SS years ago when you could still get them but wasn't playing anymore then. Now the prices are pretty crazy for them.

SKSMITH

Reaction score
Sell the Supraphonic and buy a Super-Sensitive?
Short of that, Rhythm Tech used to sell a set of snares that were on a frame, giving each strand the same tension. It was more in line with a Rogers Dynasonic frame, but it took the snares off of the head similar to a parallel strainer. The Rhythm Tech strainers have been long gone for a while now, but they do surface for sale occasionally.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to replicate the attack and growl of the SS as the wires are stretched over the head as opposed to pulled up in it. I'd just go ahead bite the bullet and get the SS they can be easily found and fairly inexpensive.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think when we chase a drum or cymbal sound, even with the same drum, cymbal model and weight, etc., it never is the same as the sound in our head. Sometimes the stars just line up one way and don't repeat.
But looking for and buying stuff is fun.

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
OP, methinks your 30 year-old memories are playing tricks on you, cuz i recently had a 5" Supersensitive and a 6.5" Supra, and found them so similar that i purposely switched rims and heads to try and get more separation between them

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
the SS breathes easier and cleaner than the Supra ,plus an extra 1" of wire contact and response . Apples and oranges .

If you're adventurous I suppose you could install an extended strainer assembly from an 80's TAMA Mastercraft or Yamaha 9000 onto a ludalloy shell and come pretty darn close to the Ludwig SS without the inner rod and complicated wire housings .

Last edited:

Skins_in_the_game

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had both, but I found the SuperSensitive had better range when tuned lower. They both sounded similar tuned high. Since the supra had a higher selling value, I unloaded it and have never looked for a replacement.

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You could at least try to get some sensitivity by using those lightweight wires. Maybe the Tama Carbon or whatever. There is probably some Canopus product that is extremely sensitive.

Or even better, those adjustable Puresounds. The center strands can be adjusted separately from the outer strands.

I know that’s not the same, but some less than $30 opportunities that will for sure give you some new sounds and increase sensitivity.

I see Ludwig Super Sensitives all the time for little money. You could just buy one, but I would try almost anything over setting up or carrying around a Super Sensitive.

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
Buy yourself the Super Sensitive. It's like asking a Camaro to be a Corvette...it's just a different type of ride. Same with the Super Sensitive Ludwig. I have many of them in my arsenal and I can tell you 100% that it is a completely different beast from the Supraphonic. I recommend you get one and then outfit it with Canopus Super Sensitive Replacement Wires (or at least the Puresounds) and then put either a genuine Ludwig extra thin snare side (no collar) or even a Remo hazy Ambassador "no collar" (yes, they make them) along with a coated reverse dot CS batter (I like the white dots these days) and that drum will answer all of the memory that your brain is calling for, guaranteed! You just have to make sure that the Super Sensitive mechanism is working properly and not bent up and in rough shape. Many of these drums have screwed up mechanisms and Ludwig discontinued the parts...so you cannot get parts other than what you find in the used market.

Copy.jpg
Copy.jpg
Copy.jpg
s-l500.jpg
s-l500-10.jpg
x9tvorihl91jirlscsqe.jpg
letfh2bphxpmslxqszoc.jpg
v9psczobmffye8vtzxvg.jpg

Last edited:

Rivot

Reaction score
Wouldn't have the faintest idea i suppose just buy one and youl be right mate just being funny here if that's ok.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a super sensitive Black Beauty and didn’t find it capable of too much that couldn’t be done with a standard strainer. Thats part of why I sold it, because I felt limited by the wire choices available. Try a diplomat snare side to increase the sensitivity of your supra and see if you like it

el_37

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They aren't very expensive as far as vintage snares go- 3 sold for under $300 recently on ebay and 2 sold for under $400. A bronze one sold for under $600.

I think it is far easier to just buy one- they are not popular with most drummers anymore so there are plenty to choose from. Just make sure it is complete and working since you can't easily get parts for them anymore.

HalldorL

DFO Master
Reaction score
I always dreamt about a 6.5” SS. Then finally found one in great shape apart from I had to replace some plastic parts in the mechanism, they were really worn. I wasn’t as impressed as I thought I’d be and ended up with a 402 Supra. Put on some Canopus 26 strand vintage wires, Ludwig reso. Love the 402.

Remington700

Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful replies guys!

I was away for a week and had limited internet, so couldn't reply.

Sounds like my best bet is just to find one in decent shape and buy it... when funds allow.