Getting Badges Flush with Shell

feelyat

Reaction score
I've got a Ludwig Standard S-100 snare (from 1968?) with the wonderful, unusual, Standard badge. Perhaps because the grommet is so far away from the corners, the badge seems to want to flatten out -- i.e. it doesn't adhere to the curvature of the shell.

IMG_2751.jpg

I don't really worry that it'll get caught on anything, because I treat it with a reasonable measure of care; it just seems clunky to me.

Is gluing it down a possibility? What kind of glue would be the most effective?

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
double sided tape would work, shouldn't be too hard to slip under the edges; might need tweezers

a dab of epoxy using a paper clip might also do

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Take the badge off and remount it using a grommet bolt and to davezedlee (member) point, double side fiber carpet tape. Don't try to do it with the grommet attached, you are risking a bend in the badge and then you have a bigger problem. Go to Precision Drum for the grommet and tool. Good Luck.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I've tried un successfully w a b/o badge from the same era '69, they didn't have the glue and or application down 100% yet and the tips do and will come up just like yours. I've seen a bunch just like it. After precision taping the drum and badge area I carefully injected a small amount of fast cure clear epoxy under the loose tips and clamped sufficiently. After a few hours I took off the clamps and the badge was tight however it didn't stay for more than a couple days. I think the problem was the original contact cement used had dried out and was still present on the backside of the badge and also maybe some old glue residue on the shell as well. If I tried this again I would probably go the contact cement route(the original weldwood) which maybe more compatible with the old glue, may even re activate it.

feelyat

Reaction score
Take the badge off and remount it using a grommet bolt and to davezedlee (member) point, double side fiber carpet tape. Don't try to do it with the grommet attached, you are risking a bend in the badge and then you have a bigger problem. Go to Precision Drum for the grommet and tool. Good Luck.
Yow. That's more project than I was hoping to take on, but it sounds like it's the only way to do it right. I've never taken off a grommet before, so that might be a fun adventure.

How well does that precision grommet tool work? If it's what they use, I'm a little wary of it. They did a grommet reinstall when they rewrapped a drum for me a couple of years ago, and it looks pretty bad.

IMG_2753.jpg
IMG_2752.JPG

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The drawback of removing the badge is you've reduced collectable and desirable value to zero.

feelyat

Reaction score
The drawback of removing the badge is you've reduced collectable and desirable value to zero.
Really? Is there that much value attached to originality of vent hole grommets?

Since I'm not a collector, I try not to worry too much about the collectability impact on the value of my drums. I very much prefer this drum with 2.3mm hoops, so I replaced the original 1.6mm ones. I'm keeping them, in case I ever decide to sell the drum, but I don't feel compelled to keep the drum in original condition, as long as I can get it back to that condition when the need arises (e.g. no drilling).

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? Is there that much value attached to originality of vent hole grommets?

Since I'm not a collector, I try not to worry too much about the collectability impact on the value of my drums. I very much prefer this drum with 2.3mm hoops, so I replaced the original 1.6mm ones. I'm keeping them, in case I ever decide to sell the drum, but I don't feel compelled to keep the drum in original condition, as long as I can get it back to that condition when the need arises (e.g. no drilling).
Nothing devalues a vintage drum more than a tampered with badge.

jmetatual

Reaction score
How well does that precision grommet tool work? If it's what they use, I'm a little wary of it. They did a grommet reinstall when they rewrapped a drum for me a couple of years ago, and it looks pretty bad.
That grommet installation is unacceptable (pics in post #5). Are you sure Precision did that? If so, you should ask them to redo it properly.

feelyat

Reaction score
That grommet installation is unacceptable (pics in post #5). Are you sure Precision did that? If so, you should ask them to redo it properly.
Quite sure. It was something I didn't notice when they originally did the drum, as I was focused on the wrap itself, but as time has passed, I'm less and less enthused with the work they did for this drum, and not just because of the grommet.

From that grommet installation, it looks like they tried to reuse the original (damaged) grommet, rather than replacing it with a new one.