Getting past the nerves and just "going for it"

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So, just wanted to share an exerience of letting go of fear and nerves and just going for it. One of my bands is an all-original, instrumental rock trio. Together for the fun and the challenge of creating music similar to the progressive rock music we are fans of (Stick Men, King Crimson etc). We've been working on a bunch of structured, composed music for about a year now and recently fiddling around with some improv too.

This weekend we were asked to play a haunted house/art gallery and they wanted some creepy music to set the mood. We decided to just go for it and play all improv. The stick player would begin a piece, or start some loops and then off we went. We played about a total of an hour, and in that time I think I doubted myself a couple times as far as what to play, but when that would happen I'd keep time on the ride, or a few toms until "inspiration" struck, and I was off again.

It was very liberating, exciting and not as terrifying as I imagined it would be! Granted it was a small crowd, but here I was at the age of 53, playing some of the very kind of music I listen to all the time. I don't expect that we will get a ton of gigs, but we do intend to record at some point and play whereever we can.

Many of us can relate - whether it comes down to being asked to take a solo, play in a jazz band or audition for a type of music we are barely familiar with. Even after years of playing, there's areas outside our comfort zone that we sometimes only dream of doing. This was mine and now that I've done it, I look forward to giving it another whirl. Being improv, I expect the next time I'll be nervous also, but this brief period of success has given me confidence and the realization that in a way, what does it matter? Why not "go for it"? The worst thing to do would be to not try it and wish I had done so. Anyway, I'm a very content little drummer today!

20616911_10207635723489648_5164283990899099478_o.jpg

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats! Sounds like a cool gig! I'd be willing to bet that if the gig was recorded, you'd hear some that you played and thought were not great, were very good, and maybe that some of the good might not be as good or could have been tweaked. Either way, a great learning experience. And if nothing else, that kit looks way cool...

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Agreed! One of the guys is sifting through some recordings to see what we have. I am completely ready for what I hear, and in a way I look forward to hearing things that weren't so good or could have been done better. I think it'll help me focus the next time.

Appreciate the kit comment too! The pic is from a different gig last month, but it's my main rig.