Gibraltar Custom Shop Makeover - Nick D'Virgilio

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I hope this setup slides into the truck in one piece because it would take forever to put this erector set together.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
The point of the "Brent's Hang" videos is to sell as much hardware as possible. If you have a drum tech to lug all of this around and tear down and assemble then I guess is serves a purpose. Otherwise it is just unnecessarily complicated.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't even think the solution solves the problem...at least as complex...maybe even more hardware...
Exactly. That set is not complex at all. Quite easy to do with stands and a fe multi clamps but after all of those plumbing fittings it is a jigsaw puzzle that would be much harder to put together and would definitely take up more space when broken down.

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
I don't like the look of the rack thing. It looks better with regular stands.

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
I, as well, do not care for the caged look of a rack system. They often appear over-engineered.

But do as you wish. I’m a guy who uses two cymbal stands and carries a Swiss Army knife that only has one blade

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Yeah, the point of the videos is tell people "Look, we have the goods to solve the craziest tomfool notions. Is your idea as crazy as THIS dude? We didn't think so. Give us a call, we can help you out."

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Did any of you see this new Stealth option (called the Docking Station) at Winter NAMM 2020? You place your 22" bass drum under the arch and mount your tom and cymbals off of it. To some it may look cool, but I'm scratching my head as to how this is more functional than traditional hardware.

Gibraltar.JPG

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Did any of you see this new Stealth option (called the Docking Station) at Winter NAMM 2020? You place your 22" bass drum under the arch and mount your tom and cymbals off of it. To some it may look cool, but I'm scratching my head as to how this is more functional than traditional hardware.

View attachment 425378

Can’t imagine where they got that idea ... ... ...
These have always been a very slick solution to mounting all the stuff drummers like to hit.
I love the direction they are headed.

C1685A7C-9677-4524-B4D9-86ED7C9AAB56.jpeg
F93C4740-D8C4-4A01-9A99-A37841B02912.jpeg

Last edited:

SpinaDude

Reaction score
I saw Sweetwater's video o that. If I played a four piece, I'd be interested on trying that. A tom, a ride and 2 crashes? Could work well on there and significantly cut down the weight of the hardware bag. Booms weigh jack, all the weight is in the legs.

tempobob

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

View attachment 425378
Hmm, If Yamaha made a Crosstown version...

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

I dig it !!!

View attachment 425378

mebeatee

Reaction score
What goes around comes around.
There's a couple of books for instance....Star Sets by Jon Cohan, and The Drum Book by Geoff Nicholls that are great references to the evolution of drumsets and mounting systems.
bt

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

View attachment 425378
I've seen the pictures; this one makes the most since than any I've seen. Although a simple square rack would do the same thing and be easier to pack. Years ago I had one with a wing on each side. The only thing I can see is you have two less connections at the corners. The only plus is saving stage space, the minus is I haven't seen a case it will fit in.

I'm about to create a similar system by using only two cymbal/tom stands capable of holding four (if needed) rack toms and two cymbals plus any clamp on devices that may be needed.

I'll attempt to use two swivel mounts, normally used for swivel seats in bass boats. Turning the mount upside down; with the 3/4" pole/rod facing up and then bolted to a 3/4" small sheet of plywood (the only minus).

Then remove the legs of the two cymbal/tom stands. My preliminary measurements indicate the bottom tube of the stands will slip over the swivel bass rod. Leaving ample floor space on each side of my kit for amplifiers etc.

During pack up the tube stands will unplug and fit in my roller case leaving only a plywood base with swivels that I'll have to carry out to the truck. The size of the plywood base; To Be Determined.

Will it work? WHO KNOWS? LOL Worth a try.

sherm

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score

View attachment 425378
Not an original idea. These date way back to the 30's although they were much lighter. They made more sense back then because of all of the Traps that would be mounted to them.

I wonder how much that thing weighs?

It seems like two extremes. On one end we have companies providing more usable lightweight options for working drummers and the other end we have these overly heavy and complex racks that really suit themselves more to touring drummers who have roadies to deal with these heavy and complicated beasts. Although they really are for touring pros they certainly are marketing them to working stiffs too which to me is laughable.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

View attachment 425378
A ''borrowed'' idea from Chris Achzet Design:

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That is WAY more clean looking.
He did a really good job of cleaning up that mess of stands.
He did, but I still got bored of the video. I simply fast forwarded the the final product. I felt like I was watching one of this home renovation shows. Show what you started with and what you ended with; I’m good.

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The idea is interesting... Definitely inspired by the vintage racks Mcjnic posted. It may cut down on the weight of the hardware bag, if only because it wouldn't fit in any bag! (unless the arch has a hinge somewhere) I appreciate that someone is looking for new ideas, even if I don't see a benefit for me.