Gifted Drummer?

quadrille

Reaction score
Please let me know if this is not allowed on this forum or if it needs to be posted in a different place.

My daughter last year asked out of the blue to take drum lessons. Both my wife and I are not musically inclined. We took her to local music school for lessons. (9 years old) The drum teacher there is older has a lot of experience. I went with her and watched over the next few months as she quickly picked up the lessons. We purchased her a cheap drum set. https://www.guitarcenter.com/Rogue/5-Piece-Complete-Drum-Set.gc It was on sale for $150. She played it every day. She is very focused when she plays and enjoys it.

The drum teacher told us she is only 1 of 2 students that pick up on what is taught to her quickly. He shows her something and she duplicates it with no hesitation. (2 drum sets in the room) It is amazing, he is blown away. He says it is like jamming with an adult. She started to quickly learn entire songs after only a few months of lessons. I put a drumeo YouTube video in front of her
and told her to take her time and play it. She was playing it at speed after 20 minutes. She played it for her drum teacher and he asked how long it took her to play it. After this we decided to purchase her a real drum set. We took her to Guitar center and let her pick. She played a few on the floor (much to the amazement of a few of the customers and employees) she picked this https://www.guitarcenter.com/DW/Performance-Series-4-Piece-Shell-Pack.gc . We also purchased Zildjian cymbals.

Her drum teacher suggested she join school of rock to play and get used to performing with people. So for the last 6 months she has played and at the end of the semester she performed. She had no issues (she takes dance since 3) so no issues getting up on stage.

So she is doing great but I would like to challenge her since I see school of rock does not, it seems like a money maker and for kids to live their dream of getting on stage. She is asked to slow it down or dumb down the beat when it gets complicated when playing so the other kids can keep up. Her drum teacher tells her and me she is playing the way the song is supposed to sound, the only critique is she does not hit hard enough. She is small for her age.

So any suggestions here? I want to challenge her since I see she wants to do more (and she has told me so) But I don’t want her to be the next child star. I want this on her terms. What other things should I be doing?

Thanks
Marc

MntnMan62

Reaction score
That's awesome that your daughter appears to be a natural. And you are right to seek the best way to challenge her because that's the only way she's going to rise to the level she's capable of. Does she gravitate to certain types or styles of music? If she's just been doing some rock stuff, I'd say expose her to jazz and more complicated music. And I would get her a teacher that is a really good player but who also can teach. Not all players can teach effectively. The question is, where are you located. I'm in the NY tri-state area and can recommend some things here but elsewhere I'm not as knowledgeable.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
If she's not already studying piano, I'd suggest she start on that as well. It'll help her become a better musician who understands the music as a whole., vs. just a great drummer. There are tons of us who can do amazing things on the instrument, but don't necessarily make the best musical choices. It's far more important to play the music well, in the larger scheme of things, than to be an amazing drummer. Once we understand why the music is as it is, making good musical choices becomes easier. And when we consistently make good musical choices, the odds that better musicians will seek us out rise.

If you're near a major metro area, there are likely great teachers and performers for her to check out. If she's bitten, and it sounds like she is, she's going to want to be around folks who can elevate her awareness.

If you're not, she could skype lessons. Lots of folks offer lessons in that format.

Rock Salad

Reaction score
Ask her? I like her first teacher's response and attitude as you have described, ask him?
Congrats on raising a motivated kid!

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you're in northern NJ, you're already around many of the greatest players of our instrument on the planet, in most genres. Take her to Trumpets in Montclair on any weekend.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Her teacher should be teaching her to read, rudiments and yes, listening to various styles, jazz, etc. School of rock may be good for playing with others. She should try to enroll in a band class in school. You may even want to explore what performing arts high schools there are. Is she still taking dance? That's awesome. Some of the best players (Buddy Rich, Steve Gadd) were tap dancers. Surely someone here can point you guys to a good source locally for helping her step it up.

Also, this website is a wealth of drummer-related stuff. Have her join up! Good luck, sounds like she's got natural talent for the beat!

Last edited:

MicD

Reaction score
This sort of interest from a parent is inspiring for a teacher like myself to hear. Im sure for other teachers on the forum too. The only thing I would add to this thread is that is important for her is to keep playing with others her age and hopefully build freindships with others who play around her age. This is extremely important for the long run And very motivating for the kids in the short term. A music school is great for this.

Latest posts