Gig kit recommendations

sillypilot

Reaction score
Hi all - I'd like to get a kit for bar/party gigs that is affordable but decent when you put good heads on it. I was looking at the Pearl Decade as well as Tama Imperialstar, but I don't know much about many other options. My pride and joy kit is a Ludwig Classic Maple which I'm not planning on hauling around and getting beat up. Recommendations on brands/models to look at would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yamaha Stage Customs
Big bang for the buck!
Fit and finish excellent
Sounds wonderful ,crisp at the players field,big in the audience. Just how it is to my ears.
YMMV

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Never played a Pearl Decade, but I play an older Imperialstar (circa 1990?) at church pretty much every Sunday, and just played a gig Friday night on an Imperialstar house kit. Both were using Evans-church kit is EC2s the other kit had G2s. The house kit has a red wrap and looked great under the rudimentary lighting system they had.

For context-I have two Rogers Holidays and a Tama Starclassic Performer at home for my personal\regular use.

I would not hesitate to take either of those Imperialstar kits "out" for gigging in any environment. The sound is good and predictable, and the wraps will hold up great to travel and other 'dangers'.

No issue that I can see with Stage Customs, other than they may run you more than the Imperialstars-which can be picked up used for under $500 easily I would think.

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Never played a Pearl Decade, but I play an older Imperialstar (circa 1990?) at church pretty much every Sunday, and just played a gig Friday night on an Imperialstar house kit. Both were using Evans-church kit is EC2s the other kit had G2s. The house kit has a red wrap and looked great under the rudimentary lighting system they had.

For context-I have two Rogers Holidays and a Tama Starclassic Performer at home for my personal\regular use.

I would not hesitate to take either of those Imperialstar kits "out" for gigging in any environment. The sound is good and predictable, and the wraps will hold up great to travel and other 'dangers'.

No issue that I can see with Stage Customs, other than they may run you more than the Imperialstars-which can be picked up used for under $500 easily I would think.
Thats true the later SCs is what i have currentlly used,older ones i have no idea.
Wasnt a fan then,i guess.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yamaha Stage Custom if you want Birch, Tama Superstar Classic if you want maple. No wrong decisions in my opinion.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Listen to me -- Buy USED a Pacific CX or LX model drumset. The best ones are those whose manufacturing date is closest to the year 2000 manufacturing start date. The first year (2000) production have Hard Rock American Maple shells whose wood was chosen from stocks of maple already waiting to be manufactured into DW drums. This wood taken from the DW stocks was then trucked down to the new DW/Pacific plant in Encenada, Mexico and turned into some of the finest drums that DW ever built. Do not doubt me on this.

I cannot imagine a more road-worthy drum set than these. They are build like tanks, and have great tom holders, and all other metal fixtures. And even though prices for these has been going up steadily (The word finally gets around), but you can still buy or assemble a six-piece set for well under $600, and sometimes the seller includes the hardware.

How do they sound? Exactly like DW's standard maple shell drums. Don't believe me? Listen to this: (this is exactly what I hear when I sit down behind my CX kit:

GeeDeeEmm

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Exactly what GeeDeeEmm said. Used, you can get a CX kit for under $400 for a 2 up (10, 12) 1 down (14) kit. The only issue is that the 14” floor is usually hanging. Pick up a few brackets and legs from dFD to turn it into a proper floor tom and you’re golden.

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hmm. I'm going to break with the pack and suggest that you spend the money on good cases and play your pride and joy.

My gig kit is a DW Collector's Series kit that I bought brand new in July of 2008. I have played hundreds of gigs with it in the past ten and a half years. It still looks brand new. It travels in Humes & Berg Enduro cases. I get to play every gig on a kit that I love. I currently have a set of Gretsch USA Customs on order, only because I want to play something different. They too will travel in a set of H & B Enduro cases.

Here are photos of the kit from several gigs.

Attachments

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hmm. I'm going to break with the pack and suggest that you spend the money on good cases and play your pride and joy.

My gig kit is a DW Collector's Series kit that I bought brand new in July of 2008. I have played hundreds of gigs with it in the past ten and a half years. It still looks brand new
This.... I’ve never owned a set I didn’t gig. Ayotte Customs. DW. Gretsch. Ludwig. They are meant to be played. If you’re using cases, and loading them yourself, they’re gonna be ok.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just gigged today with a "beater" kit I recently scored off CList. For our NYE gig, I had taken one of my fancy Gretsch RB kits, but the stage was small at the street festival we played, so I had to set up on the side......and literally in the gutter! Not what I expected....and no thanks!

So I looked for a cheap kit for gigs that I could throw around and would not care - and found a Premier XPK birch/eucalyptus set in 10x12/16FT and 16x22 bass......wow! Not exactly my sizes, but this was my first time out and they were great (but heavy!).......

Find a decent quality kit, not the entry level low end stuff......I got them for under $200 and they are a nice amber finish.......I am sure you will find some decent kit with your budget.......as long as you have good cymbals and good heads, you should be able to sound decent even with lower end drums, though.

Last edited:

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I’m a big believer in playing out all my kits, regardless of the gig! IMHO, kits are made for playing. If I’m worried about a kit of mine getting beat up, it’s gone. The one exception where I hated taking the kit out was my Craviotto’s, so I sold them.

Personally I would not buy a beater or low end kit and waste your money on something you may or may not like. Play your Classic Maple! Enjoy it and be a proud owner.

My 2 cents...

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Another vote for cases. Been playing my pride and joys for 25 years, lacquered finish, yeah there's a few bumps and bruises but they are what I want to play, plus I don't have a drum room at home to play them anyways. But if you are going to buy something I'd go used, maybe even find a used Ludwig kit in your price range if that's what you want.

TheMattJones88

Reaction score
I’m a big believer in playing out all my kits, regardless of the gig! IMHO, kits are made for playing. If I’m worried about a kit of mine getting beat up, it’s gone. The one exception where I hated taking the kit out was my Craviotto’s, so I sold them.

Personally I would not buy a beater or low end kit and waste your money on something you may or may not like. Play your Classic Maple! Enjoy it and be a proud owner.

My 2 cents...
Agreed on all counts. Drums are meant to be played out. I play my nice kit at crappy punk clubs, just take care of your gear while you're there, transport everything in cases and enjoy playing a gorgeous kit.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Whenever I read the replies-the ones recommending playing out on your "best" gear...whether at the Hilton or literally "in the gutter"...

I am always curious what your annual income is? Net or gross... Doesn't need to be down to the penny, within a couple grand would work.

Not trying to be nosy, just genuinely curious.

Ptrick

Reaction score
I like to choose the kit based on the type of gig and venue. If there is no dedicated stage, and we’re on the floor, I’m taking the stage customs. Big gigs, big stage, mic’d up gets the “A” kit. I’ve had drunk people take out a kit with an attempt at dancing.

My stage custom birch with Evans coated G2’s sound as good as any kit I’ve owned (many high end kits included). They lack some attention to detail and bells and whistles, but for $649 shipped for a 5 piece, pretty amazing.

TheMattJones88

Reaction score
Whenever I read the replies-the ones recommending playing out on your "best" gear...whether at the Hilton or literally "in the gutter"...

I am always curious what your annual income is? Net or gross... Doesn't need to be down to the penny, within a couple grand would work.

Not trying to be nosy, just genuinely curious.
My wife and I are solidly middle class. I got my nice kit for a steal, if something were to happen to it I wouldn't be able to replace it, and honestly, I'd probably have used Stage Custom budget for a new kit, and I'd have to save up.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
As they say, you can generally make a lot of drums sound at least pretty good through heads and tuning. Go with what you can afford to and spend the dough on cymbals and a good snare! I can understand not wanting to bring something high end to a dive.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I agree with pride and joy!!! I just purchased a new Ludwig CM last December and nice Ahead cases. I pack them; I transport them, I set them up; just take care of them. My Ludwig late 80's of 55 years of gigging are now my practice kit and may use one or more of them from time to time and they look nice.

BTW: GeeDeeEmm's drums do sound nice I really like that 14" tom sound. WoW!!

sherm

Latest posts