Gig Video, Band's First Time Out

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Finally got some video from my band's gig on June 1st. This was the first paying gig for this version of this band. Some of you may recall an earlier post about this band back in December. After nearly two years of prep we played our very first gig only to have the guitar player quit the next day (at his wife's insistence) followed shortly thereafter by the other guitar player. We regrouped and I think the result was much better anyhow but these sort of setbacks are frustrating nonetheless. Now we're ready to get out there and start playing again. Our 70 year old lead singer has an extended back-story as a musician around these parts that we hope to be able to exploit....and if not that I still think we sound pretty darn good, so that should help.

This first gig went well musically (although the club was far from packed). I was especially happy with the sound the house engineer got out of this set of three ply Ludwigs that I had recently re-done. The bass drum seems to be somewhat buried in this video mix but must have been more prominent FOH since the cameras exhibit a slight jiggle in unison with what I was playing. I think this all turned out rather well except I was pushing the tempo, especially later in the song. I guess I was excited. Hopefully this is just the start of bigger and better things...and further instigation to buy even more drums LOL.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dude.. that kills! I would proud as heck were that my video also. Nice playing and good front of house sound as well. 2 Thumbs up for sure!

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
Kick is there, just way down on the bottom. Sounds good with my sub, crowd definitely felt it.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sounds, great, K.O. I have a good speaker system hooked up to my computer, and your bass drum is thumping just fine in the mix. My subwoofer is shaking!

bkny110

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great Job KO !!!! You got a cool sounding band! Ludwig drums and SHIRT!!! That's commitment !!

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just the mood I'm in this morning, but I was simply mesmerized by those two performances. I absolutely love the band's interpretations of those two songs - especially I Am The Walrus. It's obvious that a lot of thought went into Walrus, with the keyboard, drums, and guitar parts really making it happen.

And I absolutely LOVE your singer and his Little Dutch Boy hairstyle. Watching him is like watching an old craftsman at work, dutifully performing his craft with a firm and solid hand. He's a keeper.

And the audio and video were just great. Every instrument came thru very realistically and well-placed in the mix.

Thanks so much for posting those. I'd love to see more. This is cover band at its best!

GeeDeeEmm

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Maybe it's just the mood I'm in this morning, but I was simply mesmerized by those two performances. I absolutely love the band's interpretations of those two songs - especially I Am The Walrus. It's obvious that a lot of thought went into Walrus, with the keyboard, drums, and guitar parts really making it happen.

And I absolutely LOVE your singer and his Little Dutch Boy hairstyle. Watching him is like watching an old craftsman at work, dutifully performing his craft with a firm and solid hand. He's a keeper.

And the audio and video were just great. Every instrument came thru very realistically and well-placed in the mix.

Thanks so much for posting those. I'd love to see more. This is cover band at its best!

GeeDeeEmm
Wow, that really makes my day, thanks so much for the kind words. After my last band broke up I figured that was going to be the high point of my modest musical career, now I'm not so sure that is the case.

Last edited:

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Very cool! You may have been anxious on the inside but with both songs the band came across as relaxed and in control. nice work!

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
There's a couple more videos from that night that I posted to youtube but here's just one more I'll put here that I just finished dressing up. Some Jimi Hendrix, and not a song you hear too many bands doing.

Reactions: bob