Gigging bop kit

richiegarcia4

Reaction score
Jazz drummers, do you gig with your vintage kit?
I have a 60's Ludwig Downbeat that I occasionally play out with. It's in great condition, so I don't like moving it around too much. However, it's so light compared to my USA custom that it's actually more convenient for gigging.
How do the weights of the vintage kits compare to something like a USA Custom? Rogers, Gretsch round badge, Camco, Premier, Slingerland, etc.?

LarryJ

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big band and bebop gigs with my '65 Slingerland Shelbyville 12/14/20 kit. They are lighter than the Gretsch Renown 12/14/20 kit I had and about the same as my Gretsch Catalina 12/14/18 kit that has been converted to a practice kit.

As for gigging vintage kits, I have sold my "modern" kits over the last year and gig exclusively with the above kit for all jazz gigs and a '60 Slingerland Chicago 13/16/22 kit (much lighter than the Yamaha Beech Custom kit I had) for my blues/rock gigs. Both are in excellent condition, but playing them isn't going to hurt them. They have outlasted the modern kits in my arsenal because they just sound better for the music I play.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
absolutely
you have to reinforce it a little
(for the big kick over Keith Moon endings) kidding.
Just make sure it's road worthy; spurs floor tom leg brackets tom mount if you're using one; take your semi or fully modern stands pedals and seat what did we forget? sticks!

Scottdale 2.jpg
March92020 002.JPG

Scottdale 2.jpg March92020 002.JPG

Last edited:

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I liked the idea of having the Gretsch Progressive jazz I picked up last year because it has the cool sizes. Boy this thing is heavy though! I still love it though.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 60's Ludwig Downbeat that I occasionally play out with. It's in great condition, so I don't like moving it around too much. However, it's so light compared to my USA custom that it's actually more convenient for gigging.
How do the weights of the vintage kits compare to something like a USA Custom? Rogers, Gretsch round badge, Camco, Premier, Slingerland, etc.?
Gretsch is known to be heavy, especially the bass drums.
If you're worried about your Vintage kit getting damaged from road use, but like the weight, I suggest looking at Pearl.
They brought the 4 ply reinforced Maple shell back a few years ago, in the guise of the MASTERS MAPLE RESERVE | Pearl Drums -Official site-
I remember when the MMX (same shell) came out in the 90's and a friend got a kit.
I asked him how light those drums really were and he tossed his (brand new) 20" bass drum at me.
It was like catching beach ball.
I threw it back and we actually played a short game of catch, right there in the parking lot.....with a 20x16 bass drum.
Check one out. I think you'll like it.

Elvis

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
when/if I get called for a gig that's my first thought.."Can I get away with the mismatched little Gretsch?"
I can only image 3 that match!

imagine a 14x14 8X12 and 16x16 RB all original all in blue glass? get outta here!

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
when/if I get called for a gig that's my first thought.."Can I get away with the mismatched little Gretsch?"
I can only image 3 that match!

imagine a 14x14 8X12 and 16x16 RB all original all in blue glass? get outta here!
When’s your first gig back?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
the pasture is..looking pretty ..well better get used to it..
the menu not looking too good I may have to get aggressive.

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
the pasture is..looking pretty ..well better get used to it..
the menu not looking too good I may have to get aggressive.
Sure is! Live indoor music opened again in The City yesterday including the Symphony at Davies Hall

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I used to have an original 1970's jazzette in silver sparkle and I did all of my jazz gigs on that. I loved that set as it looked and sounded really cool. Sadly there is not much jazz going on around here and I ended up selling the set when I needed a little cash to help pay for a new furnace. Fortunately i was able to get my Gretsch progressive jazz a few years later but I don't ever see a day when I will have an 18" bass drum with this set. I doubt very highly that one will show up at a yard sale.

Jazzette.jpg

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only kits with an 18” bass drum I really liked have been from Gretsch . Both were stop sign badge bass drums . My original 1978 natural maple gloss lacquer 18/12/14 and I owned another 18/12/14 in Walnut Gloss lacquer . Both had a great tuning range and good attack and bottom end . I have owned two Yamaha kits with 18” bass drums - a kaput shell Club Custom and an Oak Custom . The Club Custom was pretty good . The Oak Custom was horrible . Thin sounding and harsh . I hated it .

I had an INDe kit 18/12/14 that was not bad. Not in the same league as the Gretsch though but much better than the Yamaha Oak Custom .
16420FD6-2FDD-46D9-BC16-99DA021863F0.jpeg

Last edited: