Gigging mismatched kits

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Anyone gig with mismatched kits? I’m thinking of trying it. Maybe a DW bass drum and vintage Ludwig toms. Why not?
I won’t need to bother with the vintage bass sliding everywhere that way. I’m a fan a vintage drums, but I think the real differing factor is in the toms.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I might be gigging a Pearl early 80s maple 22 x 14 with Gretsch New Classic toms. The Gretsch kit doesn‘t have a large bass drum like that. Reasonably similar colour, red stain lacquer, and the sounds should work together, too.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I remember an article with Levon doing that. At one time, he was doing some Ludwig/Gretsch combination on the same kit.

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is lots of fun, I have with a 26" Gretsch RB Bass, 14" Ludwig Tom, 16" Radio king Floor and 18" Rogers floor.
Plus a few little extra goodies with it. Go for it.
Photo Feb 25, 5 20 23 PM.jpg

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
When one of you wants to put a kit together, I’ve got a 24x14 PDP Maple Concept Classic Bass drum in Natural Maple with the darker wood hoops if you want.
I just got my 22 and don’t need it. Shoot me a PM if you have a need.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're in a zydeco band? Holy crap!
What are the drums?
Yup. That's a Slingerland 12x26 shell, probably from the 40's or earlier. It was originally single tension, but I put Ludwig classic casings on it.
The floor tom is a '67 Ludwig 3-ply 12x15 marching tenor drum that i put legs on. Later, I found a pair of 15" wood hoops. I'm pretty sure it started life with conventional triple-flange hoops.
The snare is a 6.5 Supra that most of the chrome had come off of, so I did a whimsical spray paint job. I usually use a 7x14 WFL zephyr lug snare from the 30's with single-flange hoops. It sounds like crap all by itself, but works really well with the Zydeco band for some reason. Here's a better picture.
IMG_1373.JPG

Edit: Whoops.That's an earlier picture with a different BD. It's a '57 WFL 10x26.