Gigging mismatched kits

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
All the time. Red 20” maple Pearl marching bass that’s converted to a kick, black Pearl 10x8 BLX (birch) rack and a turquoise sparkle Tama 14x12 B/B floor tom! Sounds amazing so I’m good lol

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A Ludwig 80s 6-ply rack tom and Club Date SE rest toms and bass drum. Snare drums don't count as mismatched, right? :wink:

flippantminister

Reaction score
I gigged and recorded with a kit that had a 50s Slingerland bass drum and a couple of 3ply Ludwig toms for years. Someone had ripped the wrap off of the tom shells and parts of the outer ply had gone with it- that made them cooler to me. A unique kit that sounded great, and I didn't have to baby it for being pristine/collectible... which is an issue I have with most of my other kits.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Back in the 90's, I decided to tell my OCD to jump in the lake and briefly played a 20" Sonor Phonic kick in Metallic Blue, 13" and 14" Gretsch natural maple toms, 16" Ludwig 3-ply sliver sparkle floor tom, and Sonor Signature Bronze Piccolo snare. It was a pretty intense-sounding kit.

Dan

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's one of the reasons I went to an all-Yamaha drum collection: I can pick and choose which models/sizes I want to use and plug them in to the tom holders with ease, since it's all universal.

I've jelly-beaned my kits numerous times, especially for recording, but also playing live. Most recent memory was 12" Maple Custom (vintage finish) rack, 14" Stage Custom (blue) floor and 20" Beech Custom (blueberry) bass drum with a Ludwig (BOP) 5x14" snare.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Never played the snare that came with any kit I bought as they seemed to be the weakest element of those kits and I never liked them so in that sense a I play mis-matched snare with (now) a custom bop kit.

CrashBoomPang

Reaction score
I'm considering buying some toms off a guy if he'll let me. The kick isn't a size that does me much good, so I figure I may go this route and just find a nice bass drum to go with it. As long as it sounds great and looks okay I figure why not!

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just by mistake...
Yes, that happens. Champagne sparkle mid 60s Slingerland toms, and a 1964 Leedy sparkling blue pearl bass drum. The good news is that they were essentially the same kit other than the lugs and wrap. Visually blue and champagne looked pretty awful. It was a small room, I tucked myself in the corner and hoped that no one noticed. (No one did, except for the band.)

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
All the cool cats are playing mismatched kits nowadays. just sayin...

Reactions: bob

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
As this thread has resurfaced, here's another of my mismatched kits. I used to use it for a weekly Jam night, before... you know.
Jamkit.jpg

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not on purpose. My OCD prevents that but it has happened by mistake once. I grabbed my red sparkle Holiday kit and accidently grabbed my other Holiday blue onyx floor tom.
E4BE7438-F961-4995-8718-A01159C630D0.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: bob

bassanddrum84

Reaction score
Currently gigging with a 20x20 DDrum dominion kick 10x6 ocdp rack Tom and 16” spl kick drum I converted to a floor Tom. Stripped them all to natural to match. Was playing a ddrum dominion as 20/12/14/16 but put them up for the winter. Have played many mismatched kits from brands to finishes and everything in between.