Gigging mismatched kits

bassanddrum84

Reaction score
Yup. That's a Slingerland 12x26 shell, probably from the 40's or earlier. It was originally single tension, but I put Ludwig classic casings on it.
The floor tom is a '67 Ludwig 3-ply 12x15 marching tenor drum that i put legs on. Later, I found a pair of 15" wood hoops. I'm pretty sure it started life with conventional triple-flange hoops.
The snare is a 6.5 Supra that most of the chrome had come off of, so I did a whimsical spray paint job. I usually use a 7x14 WFL zephyr lug snare from the 30's with single-flange hoops. It sounds like crap all by itself, but works really well with the Zydeco band for some reason. Here's a better picture.
View attachment 420903

Edit: Whoops.That's an earlier picture with a different BD. It's a '57 WFL 10x26.
Dope kit

Dave HCV

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do what you want and who cares what people think.
I care what people think if I'm depending on them to hire me again.

Playing with a rock or blues band in a dive bar, no problem. Playing a black tie corporate or country club gig, appearance matters. If I have to put on a tux, my kit is going to look equally formal.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I care what people think if I'm depending on them to hire me again.

Playing with a rock or blues band in a dive bar, no problem. Playing a black tie corporate or country club gig, appearance matters. If I have to put on a tux, my kit is going to look equally formal.
Then care what they think. If you are playing the type of music you truly belong in, what you naturally want to play should fit.

I’m not comfortable wearing a tux so instead of forcing myself to wear one, I simply recognize I shouldn’t be in a gig that requires it. What I want out of music would not be any other way and it has nothing to do with whether you play a large respected venue or a dive bar because I’ve played a mixed kit in both.

Living Dead Drummer

Reaction score
I used to do that with one particular band years ago.
I had two kits that were the same identical model, just different finished. One was Silver Sparkle, and the other Red Sparkle. I would often use the Red kick and Silver toms. It just looked great.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d rehearse with a bikini kit using my guitarist’s Sound Percussion bass drum and my Black Beauty snare. That’s a bit of contrast.
35CD3F8E-06C4-424D-B970-512C3B624A72.jpeg