Last night's VERY special treasure :compress:
1958 Leedy Shelly Manne Outfit No. 11 in Gretsch finish: Starlight Sparkle
starlightsparkle3.jpg

starlightsparkle1.jpg

starlightsparkle2.jpg

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Great vintage drums are meant to be played and not put in a storage facility to collect dust! Beautiful drums everyone! I play all of mine, and generally have no issues taking them out most places.

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I certainly use my gigging kit for outside gigs and plan to use my other sets this coming summer... they are not trailer queens and are meant to be used IMHO

jmele2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Played my Yamaha 1960s D20 this past weekend (plus 1920s solid shell maple Ludwig snare) and broke the clip mount for the tom. Off to the welding shop I go...

IMG_4154.jpeg
IMG_4151.jpeg

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
The wonderful, gracious, and former host of this forum Harry Cangany and I had this conversation in his shop that is sorely missed. Since he is a noted drum historian and collector, he leaned heavily on no gigging for intact pieces. Piece of history that can't be undone once it's altered. I saw his point and agree for rare or unique pieces.
I can see that. Might be a reason I never got into really collectable, mint drums. I only own some vintage snares anyway, but they have "updated" strainers (before I got them), scratches, faded sparkle finish etc.. Not rusty or broken, but it's about the sound mainly.

My real treasures are the cymbals, again it's about the sound. Would be terrible to lose them or see them damaged, but I got them to make music with them, on gigs. Worst thing that happened was some acidic sweat (remind me to clean them with soap and water after each gig).

Drumology

Reaction score
Hi Charlie, thank you for your impute! How would you describe the sound? I just purchased a beautiful kit sight unseen, picking them up next week… I’ve heard nothing but great reviews on them, that notwithstanding what’s your opinion? Thank you, Anthony.

WesChilton

Reaction score
I think there are only a couple of scenarios where I wouldn't want to gig my vintage kits... outside in full sun, in a venue where smoking is still allowed, or in front of a mosh pit! Haha!