Gigging Vintage Ludwig Sets

happyshump

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My vintage drums always sound great to my damaged/earplug wearing ears. I'm fortunate that I play in bands that don't play stupidly loud. Any kit is gonna sound flat if the band is too loud. And any kit new or old is gonna sound flat out front if it's not miked.

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The only issue I had gigging with my early 70s 3-ply was its narrow tuning range and difficulty in getting the tuning dial in. No issues with it being loud enough. I just made this video comparing the vintage 3-ply to my new Classic Maple kit in the identical sizes and similar tuning. Recorded in a small room with just a Zoom Q2N, the Vintage kit actually sounds louder in the video. Not sure how that translates to a bigger room but I'm guessing the results would be similar.

slingerland 59 R/K snare

Reaction score
We have three gigs at the same location :D this year and a class reunion coming up. I use my 70`s Slings. So far the people that know say they sound good. I think I have it down?
Getting ready for  5 25 19 gig  to 0757 (11).JPG
Getting ready for  5 25 19 gig  to 0757 (14).JPG
Getting ready for  5 25 19 gig  to 0757 (15).JPG

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The only issue I had gigging with my early 70s 3-ply was its narrow tuning range and difficulty in getting the tuning dial in. No issues with it being loud enough. I just made this video comparing the vintage 3-ply to my new Classic Maple kit in the identical sizes and similar tuning. Recorded in a small room with just a Zoom Q2N, the Vintage kit actually sounds louder in the video. Not sure how that translates to a bigger room but I'm guessing the results would be similar.

I have never seen a 1976 bass drum from Ludwig with those gull wing spurs. What’s the story on those?

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have never seen a 1976 bass drum from Ludwig with those gull wing spurs. What’s the story on those?
Interesting observation, I never thought about that. They were 3-ply with clear maple interiors. I based the age on the serial number and Geir's Dating Guide as there was no date stamp. The wrap was an exact match down to the fading of the toms which I attributed to 1973 based on their serial numbers and Geir's Guide. I acquired that bass drum without any hardware except for the tom mount. The mount holes for the 5/16 curved spur bracket are the same as the gull wing bracket. I don't remember if there were clearance holes for the curved spurs but I don't think there were. I could be wrong. There was also a 4-hole pattern (which looked professionally drilled) for what appeared to be modern spurs but I could not figure out whose spurs they matched, so I opted for the gull wings. I sold them a couple of weeks ago and don't have any more detailed pictures to refer back to. Maybe they were a few years older or the spur choice was a special order.

Sorry if I've derailed this thread.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Interesting observation, I never thought about that. They were 3-ply with clear maple interiors. I based the age on the serial number and Geir's Dating Guide as there was no date stamp. The wrap was an exact match down to the fading of the toms which I attributed to 1973 based on their serial numbers and Geir's Guide. I acquired that bass drum without any hardware except for the tom mount. The mount holes for the 5/16 curved spur bracket are the same as the gull wing bracket. I don't remember if there were clearance holes for the curved spurs but I don't think there were. I could be wrong. There was also a 4-hole pattern (which looked professionally drilled) for what appeared to be modern spurs but I could not figure out whose spurs they matched, so I opted for the gull wings. I sold them a couple of weeks ago and don't have any more detailed pictures to refer back to. Maybe they were a few years older or the spur choice was a special order.

Sorry if I've derailed this thread.
Thank you for the explanation.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My general thoughts are that Rogers and Gretsch project more than 3 ply Ludwigs. When comparing vintage 60s era drums only.

But...let’s say you tune 3 ply Ludwigs up higher. I’m thinking that they would come through better like that...

So what is it then...is it a frequency range thing where the higher pitches translate better? Or is it a volume thing, where a modern thicker shell (or sharper edge) just carries further out volume wise.
Thicker drums do project better. I imagine there is a point where too thick can choke the drum also. Probably a happy medium.

BRIAN

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice, very nice...........................

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like to gig my old Ludwigs, because I'm an old Ludwig guy. My vintage Mod Orange kit sounded GREAT unmiked last week at an outdoor stage that was in a courtyard. Bouncing sound off the nearby buildings sure helped.

I wonder if drummers sat around in the late 60's/early 70's and asked if their new drums were as loud in a live scenario as those vintage drums from the 20's and 30's?

Stretch

jim r

Reaction score
Hendrix,Cream,Zeppelin etc,etc were some really loud bands and the 60,s ludwig 3 ply drums sounded great live and in the studio to me.

markrocks68

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
All vintage all the time.
Every gig & I gig quite a bit.
Not all Ludwig anymore but lots of them.
They were meant to be played.
You just have to be the ONLY one who handles them, be VERY careful, have the best cases and ENJOY them!
I get nothing but compliments from sound guys, band members & the folks dancing on how good all my old drums sound.
No modern drums for me thanks. I enjoy taking care of these amazing vintage instruments.

Attachments

Latest posts