Gigging Vintage Ludwig Sets

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
My vintage ludwigs do not cut as much from the driver’s seat as I would like in some situations. They always work, but I remember feeling like I had to hit them harder than I would like when the bands got loud. Out front was a different story, the lows carried and you could feel the thump. But up close there wasn’t enough highs or clarity in the stick attack for me to hear over cymbals and guitar.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’m of the opinion that 60s Gretsch and Rogers carry as much as modern drums. Have seen both example in large outdoor venues...both sounded great in the mix.

Last edited:

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
I’m of the opinion that 60s Gretsch and Rogers carry as much as modern drums. Have seen both example in large outdoor venues...both sounded great in the mix.
Yes I felt the same way about my gretsch kits, except for the one that was wrapped in glass glitter. I was told it didn’t resonate/project as well by bandmates.

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
Typically have at least one monitor with as much drums as I want to hear coming back at me and sometimes in stereo it’s a beautiful thing. You don’t have to work so hard when you can hear yourself especially outdoors where the sound instantly vaporizes into the vortex
View attachment 402318
That’s a sweet rig! Do you do your own sound/Is that all your own sound gear? Under mics my Ludwigs were fantastic for sure.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yep we have both small and large PA systems complete. So much gear it’s frightening at clean up time. I’ll typically have 7 mics on the kit, 2 overhead 1 hi hat and 1 on ea drum, 2 powered floor monitors. Generally have a soundman for outdoor gigs. Small clubs we do our own , set it and forget it hope for the best. Thx!

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are tons of old photos of Alex Van Halen gigging on his 70s 3 ply kit. Granted, they were 'modern' at the time, but they worked for him.

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I still have and use my 1965 WMP Ludwig drum set (20, 13, 16, Supra snare). I have all the original hardware, but have changed out some hardware & added some cymbals. The 1965 Speed King is still wonderfully spry, and I also have two 1972 SKs as spares. Changed heads to Remo clear Pinstripes in 1985, and to coated ones in 2012(some fool broke two of them while sitting in, went home and brought me some new coated replacements. They sound wonderful, and if I had a warehouse of them, I could be selling sets all the time. Keep them clean, lubricated, use covers & cases, they will last forever. I have two other sets(Palmetto, and Mapex kits) that sound fine as well.

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've gigged 3-ply Ludwig, 6-ply Ludwig, vintage Rogers and Gretsch sets.

The 3-plies definitely had a bit less inherent acoustic attack and cut. The others seemed to me to project more.

The Rogers had the brightest edge to the attack. Lots of cut. Loudest kick for sure, but Gretsch is a close second.

The 6-ply Luds were very loud. Very projecting. Slightly less lows in the tone all around, most noticeably in the kick.

The Gretsches manage to combine a great balance of highs, lows and mids with a sense of a LOT of energy and headroom. Lots of depth and great projection, really throwing out sound.

In contrast, the 3-plies always felt like they had a dynamic ceiling. I would say moderate loudness and projection potential with the 3-plies.

Of course, the 3-plies TONALLY sounded great. That wonderful, pillowy warmth that is all their own. But, projection-wise, definitely an inherent difference.

All of this assumes coated/clear Ambs all around as far as toms, which is my go-to.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Gretsch throw sound out to and audience like no other drum.
They retain the "note" and roundness 50-100 feet away.
My Slingerlands are FULL and round but dont have the throw so will sound choked 100 feet away. A few feet from audience nice and full and open.

So for me...everything but Gretsch sound thuddy and choked.
Volume? Im a jazz drummer. If I were a rock drummer and had microphones on the kit...would it really matter?

Ive owned or gigged, sonorlite, YRC. Pearl MC, MDS, Mapex pro M, Ludwig Jazzette, Fibes Maple,Vintage Slingerland, Rogers, Yamaha Maple Custom.

Most "dead/softest " from Audience...sonorlite and YRC...maybe because birch has shorter decay

Latest posts