Gigging with rail consolette...

marc3k

Reaction score
Recently someone posted a picture of a ratcheting wrench in a thread as being one of the perfect tools to set up those rail consolette systems for a rack tom.
This made me wondering:
1) Are you gigging with these systems?
2) If you use a case for your bass drum, you probably need to fold the tom mount down to put it in the case. Can you always get more or less the same position of your tom when setting it up again?

I find this interesting because even new drums (e.g. Gretsch) give you the choice of having this vintage build again.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have gigged one. It was an early 60's Ludwig with the "telephone dial" style ratchet. I put marks on the rail with a Sharpie to use as reference points. I don't have to move the L arm or ratchet. Just loosen the rail nut fold it down. Never been a problem. A rail is a lot more complicated to adjust than a ball type of mount but if you understand how to adjust a rail consolette there should be no problem getting the tom where you want it unless you want it outside of the range that it can can support. It is a good idea to remove the carriage bolts and clean the threads and lube with some grease. Dry threads won't tighten as well as greased ones and will be more prone to stripping or galling.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Gig with a 60s Gretsch and use a ratchet to loosen and tighten the nuts. The wrench that comes with the tom holder doesn't allow enough leverage to get the nut tight enough that the mount won't slip.

Pickinator

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a '61 era Slingerland and slightly loosen the mount and fit it into the case no problem. I tighten the nut with a wrench and have a small rubber tab glued onto the mounting bracket as a soft spacer between it and the bass drum shell. No marks left and I couldn't be happier.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
On my Gretsch round badge and my vintage slingerland kit with rails, I keep the rail up as is and it sticks out of the bag. Little awkward and possibly dangerous but other than that, no issues. I don't have to ratchet back and forth with the tool. I love the simple system of just sliding the tom on and being done!

drumsforme

Reaction score
Have a Rail Mount on my '65 Slingerland and my '74 Gretsch....Both Bop Kits. I keep the rail folded down and use a snare stand for the Tom with Booty Shakers on the snare basket.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I just loosen it on the rail and fold it all down. It's pretty easy to set it back in place. I drilled to put a panel mount XLR jack at the top of the shell and it's positioned right where the nut would hit the shell, so I have a rubber cap for the XLR. Two birds/one stone. It's just a Catalina Club so no vintage gear was harmed.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, hit that thing with white lithium grease all over, wipe it off, and then it's perfectly usable. I mean, you should never, EVER choose a rail if you're, say, buying a new kit. But if you're playing a vintage kit, they'll work. But really-- white lithium grease on everything. Wipe it all off. After that, it'll work.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I live gigging with mine. It folds down and stays on the drum, and it's light weight. No issues finding the right position again - I know by looking at it what looks right, and I just tighten it down. The rod is already in a fixed position so that's even easier. I have used a rubber stand foot on the nut to protect the finish, but I'm now using an old Mapex rubber cymbal topper there. They both fit on the nut nice and tight, and look good too.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have them on several sets and they work okay for me.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
you see I'm a mechanic (was for 40 years) and have a beautiful curved closed end wrench that fits in my hand. pack in stick bag (another in duffel accessory bag) when I take the rail set. With a real wrench get leverage; no need for a ratchet or those Ludwig tools
JDAbabySet.jpg
JDAbabySet.jpg

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, hit that thing with white lithium grease all over, wipe it off, and then it's perfectly usable. I mean, you should never, EVER choose a rail if you're, say, buying a new kit. But if you're playing a vintage kit, they'll work. But really-- white lithium grease on everything. Wipe it all off. After that, it'll work.
why not? I did because I chose the vintage build. It was the look I was going for. I have a ratchet I bought for a few bucks at home depot works great

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Rail was (is..one of the greatest accessory inventions (thank you W & A) for drummers making their lives easier- invented ever....Talk about standing the test of time..