Gigging with rail consolette...

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Here's a couple pics of mine. Once it's dialed in it's just as easy to set up than other mounts. I've switched out the Atlas mount on the rack tom to an INDe mount, and both have a memory lock.

20151206_143729.jpg
20151129_144750.jpg

marc3k

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for all your replies! A lot of helpful tips!!
I was wondering if it's only something collectors would like and not really use it when playing gigs.

I only own two kits, and both have the rail consolette: an old 60s ludwig and a new Gretsch Broadkaster. On my ludwig, I have the 13" tom on a snare stand because the rail consolette is already a bit corroded and worn out, and I wasn't too happy with it when trying to set it up. I think with the new broadkaster it works well.

why not? I did because I chose the vintage build. It was the look I was going for. I have a ratchet I bought for a few bucks at home depot works great
Just don't lose it
My broadkaster is also a vintage build, so I got this tool as well. However, I though this tool is kind of crappy and was looking for a real wrench :) I did not know that those are considered good tools :)

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
why not? I did because I chose the vintage build. It was the look I was going for. I have a ratchet I bought for a few bucks at home depot works great
Sorry. It was 4AM and I was feeling pretty opinionated in my third hour of insomnia. You do you!

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for all your replies! A lot of helpful tips!!
I was wondering if it's only something collectors would like and not really use it when playing gigs.

I only own two kits, and both have the rail consolette: an old 60s ludwig and a new Gretsch Broadkaster. On my ludwig, I have the 13" tom on a snare stand because the rail consolette is already a bit corroded and worn out, and I wasn't too happy with it when trying to set it up. I think with the new broadkaster it works well.

My broadkaster is also a vintage build, so I got this tool as well. However, I though this tool is kind of crappy and was looking for a real wrench :) I did not know that those are considered good tools :)
I have the socket wrench thing that came with my Ludwig set. I find it to be kind of a pain, but it works. here is a pic of the wrench I bought at home depot. the closed end is a ratchet mechanism so works really well. it was around $5

Attachments

marc3k

Reaction score
Thank you, yes those wrenches are great! I recently also bought one - I'm also thinking about using the rail mount again on my old ludwig after reading all these answers :)

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
My first set when I was a kid had a rail mount... my dad helped me replace it with a center mount when those first came out... was never more happy.

A happiness that continues to this day. :)

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used to up until the coronavirus. The reason being that I can't get my rack tom high enough as I have spent all winter/spring raising everything for better posture. Ends up I need the tom really high and the rail doesn't go that high.

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Normally mine just sticks out of the case but if you have, say, a Luddy that has top screws holding the banana, just unscrew those and put the whole shebang in your hardware case.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I used to up until the coronavirus. The reason being that I can't get my rack tom high enough as I have spent all winter/spring raising everything for better posture. Ends up I need the tom really high and the rail doesn't go that high.
Yep, that's been my problem with them since I hit a growth spell in middle school, I was never happy with the tom that low even at maximum height. I have always liked the look and vibe they have but not practical for me physically. Two of my remaining 3 kits are virgin, but I am most definitely a center post guy, but still love the look of all your cool rails!