Giging in the heat.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
I soak a bunch of headbands in water, put them in a baggie and then into the freezer the night before , then into a thermal lunch bag to take along to the gig . Also freeze a container of those Clearasil pimple pads - they really cool you down . Gotta keep your head cool and the rest will follow . Any drinks in plastic bottles go in the freezer overnight too . Loose white cotton shirts at the Salvation Army are pretty cheap $$ stay away from black and tight fitting stuff . Seven years in road construction and you learn the tricks , plus salt pills , don't forget the salt pills - kidney stones are no fun .

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
He looks older than you are correct? ; )
I ,mean it "makes you" look old (lol

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Playing up around lake Winnipesauki in Alton NH tomorrow from 7-9. It's supposed to hit 100 here but at least we are under cover. My champagne classic maples always do really well in the heat. The color seems to reflect light really well and I have never once felt the set get hot. The wrap is also UV protected and it seems to work well as this set has been played everywhere since I got them new in 2012 and they still look new. Stay hydrated everyone!

1563552340660.png

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
He looks older than you are correct? ; )
I ,mean it "makes you" look old (lol

You might be right about that , but I was younger man in 2008 when I joined DFO . I might catch up to the avatar , I might not . The light at the end of the tunnel seems to be getting bigger .

Reactions: JDA

retrosonic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Guys, all of you who are gigging in the excessive heat tomorrow , please be careful!! Bring gatorade and a fan.
Take it easy, its VERY easy to get overcome by the heat and humidity.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
109 farenheit here right now in Ottawa . Just fixed the latch on the backs creen door and I'm soaked . I imagine it'd be deadly to drum in this .

vintagemore2000

DFO Master
Reaction score
We caught a break on our out door gig this past Saturday 7/20/2019 the temp was 96 with a 91 % Humidity level which had it at a 105 heat index. It rained for an hour before we went on, cooled it down by 10 degrees. Still drank a ton of water and ate two Bananas for cramps.
1563839894289.png

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
My God! You guys talking about playing outside in humidity, hats off to you. I grew up in the Central Valley of California and the outdoor gigs were HOT...but not humid. That’s tough. The drummer, whatever your age or genre you play, the athlete of the band.

Keeper John

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I drink G-2 (low sugar Gatorade no artificial sweeteners) hydrates better than water.
And no alcohol till after your out of the heat.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Homemade sports drink - tasty and cheap, and replaces fluids and electrolytes.

In a shaker cup, combine:
- 16-20 ounces of water
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of sugar (or less to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt

Shake it, cool it, drink it during or after the show. I usually drink straight water on stage and have one of these after I get home.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Homemade sports drink - tasty and cheap, and replaces fluids and electrolytes.

In a shaker cup, combine:
- 16-20 ounces of water
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of sugar (or less to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Out here we call that "lemonade"