Gigs? Not.

jazzerone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anybody wanna see a list of all the gigs we've had cancelled?

Yeah... didn't think so...

Last edited:

Sun shy

Reaction score
Ha! I needed that laugh. All mine are cancelled. Some paid up front and I had to return their money. Well, didn't have to, but, I'm a nice guy! :) Still, OUCH!

mmann

Reaction score
we've got some players around here doing "shows" on Facebook live and hoping for tips. One of the clubs here lets a band play to an empty house and the show it live. not sure how profitable that is for them.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
we've got some players around here doing "shows" on Facebook live and hoping for tips. One of the clubs here lets a band play to an empty house and the show it live. not sure how profitable that is for them.
I've noticed this too. There's little chance of that being financially worth the effort. I also don't foresee many people paying to stream a cover band in an empty club.

I think the key takeaway with all of this depends on if, and how quickly, people rethink what's essential and what's not. Going without is a habit in itself. If enough people reprioritize the opportunity cost of clubbing, it could cause further hurt to the industry beyond any health risk.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
Live music again 2021? Boy I hope not
I don't see it. I do see some areas dependent on entertainment / tourism attempting a return soon. And there may be some success. But I don't see areas where entertainment was already marginal getting back to that marginal any time soon. It's a new normal that we're just not going to be able to do much about regarding crowds in small places in the coming year or two.

nylontip

Reaction score
Maybe the clubs will redesign themselves and make proper bandstands in line with "social distancing" so we're not stuck in the corner or waiting for a table to be moved.
I love my band mates, but half the time, we're sitting on each others laps.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Last night I did a solo benefit "concert" on Facebook live from my basement, playing guitar and singing. I raised a pile of money, none of it for me. It was a bit nerve-wracking since I think of myself as a drummer who can sing and sorta play guitar but I got used to it and has a pretty good time. It felt great to be playing music for people again, and I'll probably do these again in the future even if I don't get huge audiences.

Bongo Brad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I thought about playing a solo gig at the end of my driveway.
Maybe if I play loud enough someone will pay me to stop.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
We’re starting to do outdoor gigs and even indoor gigs in Western New York (that’s Buffalo, NOT upstate). Capacity is limited either way and the indoor venues have to offer food. I hope we don’t have to shut down again in the fall. People have taken the precautions/guidelines pretty seriously. When bars have not followed the guidelines they have been shutdown immediately. Many venues have yet to open because they dont have the means to meet the guidelines.

i teach in colleges and perform. The teaching went online and the gigs er... So I stayed put for about three months. A lot of people did. Nowhere to go! Even though we have been opening up, I still feel the caution. Masks, distance, limited possibilities for certain activities. We were supposed to have a rehearsal in my driveway today (distancing) but rain threatened so we postponed. This is the new reality.

Last edited:

Tracktuary

Reaction score
I'm lucky enough to play at a couple of really good restaurants. Even when following all guidelines (distanced tables, reduced capacity, etc.), they are able bring in revenue. As such, I've been gigging every Friday since early June and one Saturday. One of the restaurants said that they are doing just as much business over a week as they did in the past; it's just spread out over the days compared to before. They'd typically have a few busy nights and few slow nights, but now, every day is about the same (i.e., running at 50% occupancy, but every table reserved).

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm lucky enough to play at a couple of really good restaurants. Even when following all guidelines (distanced tables, reduced capacity, etc.), they are able bring in revenue. As such, I've been gigging every Friday since early June and one Saturday. One of the restaurants said that they are doing just as much business over a week as they did in the past; it's just spread out over the days compared to before. They'd typically have a few busy nights and few slow nights, but now, every day is about the same (i.e., running at 50% occupancy, but every table reserved).
Where are you located?