Gigs? Not.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We’re starting to do outdoor gigs and even indoor gigs in Western New York (that’s Buffalo, NOT upstate). Capacity is limited either way and the indoor venues have to offer food. I hope we don’t have to shut down again in the fall. People have taken the precautions/guidelines pretty seriously. When bars have not followed the guidelines they have been shutdown immediately. Many venues have yet to open because they dont have the means to meet the guidelines.

i teach in colleges and perform. The teaching went online and the gigs er... So I stayed put for about three months. A lot of people did. Nowhere to go! Even though we have been opening up, I still feel the caution. Masks, distance, limited possibilities for certain activities. We were supposed to have a rehearsal in my driveway today (distancing) but rain threatened so we postponed. This is the new reality.
You do know that once a New Yorker crosses the Hudson, it's all upstate to us! :-D

Glad to hear your on the move, at least a bit anyway.

Tracktuary

Reaction score
Where are you located?
Southeast Wisconsin -- just south of Milwaukee by 20 miles. The actual city of Milwaukee is dead compared to usual right now. A few places have had smaller acts (solo, duo, maybe a trio), but the main jazz club in the city hasn't had live music in a couple months after trying to bring it back. The two gigs I mentioned are in 1) my hometown Racine and 2) the neighboring town Kenosha. Honestly, I'm not sure if any other venues in the area have had any live music. All outdoor festivals and concerts were canceled this summer. So, yes, I am extremely lucky to have my steady Friday gig happening, with the occasional Saturday. I hang in my corner with a mask and grab some fresh air outside every break.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Southeast Wisconsin -- just south of Milwaukee by 20 miles. The actual city of Milwaukee is dead compared to usual right now. A few places have had smaller acts (solo, duo, maybe a trio), but the main jazz club in the city hasn't had live music in a couple months after trying to bring it back. The two gigs I mentioned are in 1) my hometown Racine and 2) the neighboring town Kenosha. Honestly, I'm not sure if any other venues in the area have had any live music. All outdoor festivals and concerts were canceled this summer. So, yes, I am extremely lucky to have my steady Friday gig happening, with the occasional Saturday. I hang in my corner with a mask and grab some fresh air outside every break.
Thanks for the update! Racine! Where the Kilties are from!! I might still have my t shirt around somewhere. Good luck to you!

danialameen6

Reaction score
I don't see it. I do see some areas dependent on entertainment / tourism attempting a return soon. And there may be some success. But I don't see areas where entertainment was already marginal getting back best automatic to that marginal any time soon here. It's a new normal that we're just not going to be able to do much about regarding crowds in small places in the coming year or two.
Maybe the clubs will redesign themselves and make proper bandstands in line with "social distancing" so we're not stuck in the corner or waiting for a table to be moved.
I love my band mates, but half the time, we're sitting on each others laps.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Weve been gigging steadily since June...had about 1/2 cancelled, but have done a dozen or so - so far.

F
What kind of music and location?
What do the gigs pay?

Im dying of curiosity. Im super happy for you but ...where are the venues finding money to pay?

Ours pay $150 for the whole band.

florian1

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Both classic rock and country bands are working. Northern Ohio area. Gigs are paying full fare 750 is bare minimum for us, no discounts given. Most gigs have been private affairs - I can think of only 1 bar we played.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well good news is this Saturday gig is every Saturday through September 5.
So i have 6 gigs on the calendar (unless its a rain out).

If we start in sunshine and have to end early because of weather..we still get paid. Thats cool.

Its with two great guys. Although this tomorrow is duo. John plays guitar sings and plays bass with organ style pedals. Hes amazing. So ill actually make $ tomorrow. $100 for him. Ill take $50.
(Not in it for the money..but I am shlepping my stuff and Im a professional too). Seems fair right?

Im really doing it to see the smiles on peoples faces. Feels good.