Gigs? Not.

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
Supposed to have a gig(inside...incidental music with dinner. New York State) with my sisters band on Dec. 12, but she is very nervous about doing so, especially with COVID on the rise again. She asked the band today what they think.(I don’t know replies yet) I thought if she’s going to be nervous about it, best to cancel. I’m ok either way, but would be nice to play but want to be cautious. At this point for one gig maybe just better to wait.

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
I've had a whopping two gigs since the shutdown, and another one scheduled for Thursday, but my friends in Lubbock have been gigging their butts off this whole time.

Browny

Reaction score
I’m starting band rehearsals again in the next week. First time since late March.

We’ve done a pretty hard lockdown here in Melbourne. Twice. The first one wasnt as strict, and we clearly opened up a little early, a second wave hit within a month or two. Bang, hard lockdown for about 4 months straight. No house guests, need a reason to leave home, couldn’t be more than 5km from your house without a work permit, obviously no hospitality, entertainment or sporting events.

But we got through it and have just gone 30 days straight without any new cases, and it’s been a bit since we had any active cases so it’s being declared ‘eradicated’ here, at least for now.

Pub/restaurant/bar/etc capacities are slowly increasing, table service only for now, but everything is starting to get back towards some semblance of normality, and just in time for summer. And some gigs have started around town while plenty of others are on the horizon. Happy days.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
I just turned down a NYE gig because I'm not comfortable playing inside, with cases on the rise as we go into winter. I know WAY too many people who've come down with Covid lately. One of them has been rushed to the ER 3 times and gave it to his wife and kids. Anyway, my band got a sub.

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
I’m starting band rehearsals again in the next week. First time since late March.

We’ve done a pretty hard lockdown here in Melbourne. Twice. The first one wasnt as strict, and we clearly opened up a little early, a second wave hit within a month or two. Bang, hard lockdown for about 4 months straight. No house guests, need a reason to leave home, couldn’t be more than 5km from your house without a work permit, obviously no hospitality, entertainment or sporting events.
The Tri-Nations tests seem to be having huge "nuts-to-butts" crowds, so I'd hope outdoor gigs are at least available for those who want them.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I played an indoors jazz combo gig the past two Monday nights at a steakhouse, but I’ve pulled out of these gigs for the time being, as a second wave seems to be building in the area. Cold weather preventing outdoor gigs or rehearsals. The other players aren’t conscientious about mask wearing (although I wear a mask from car to car), and distancing is pretty much nonexistent. Even though we’re in a balcony above the diners, I’m not feeling comfortable about the safety aspect. So, it’s a no-go for me for now. I told the leader to get a sub until further notice.
9C03270E-FDD3-4111-805A-63DEE5D78B3F.jpeg
E60238E9-CE33-4662-BBE2-2B45E52BE47B.jpeg

Last edited:

Browny

Reaction score
The Tri-Nations tests seem to be having huge "nuts-to-butts" crowds, so I'd hope outdoor gigs are at least available for those who want them.
They’ve been played a fair bit further up the east coast in Sydney (850km from here), Newcastle (1,000km) and Brisbane (1,750km) in states (New South Wales & Queensland) that luckily never really got that 2nd wave. Most states shut the borders to each other too. I think the Northern Territory hasn’t had a ‘community transmitted’ case since April.

Melbourne is comparable to LA in size and we peaked at about 750 cases per day. Thankfully the lockdown has worked really well and it’s now eradicated here.

They’re talking about having 25% capacity at the MCG for the Boxing Day Test (5 day cricket match starting 26th dec) which is 25,000 people spaced out in an outdoor stadium.

I think at the moment large pubs/venues are limited to 1 person per 4 square metres indoors, smaller venues (we have a lot of small bars) can have 1 per 2m^2. Pretty much all of the councils have allowed venues to ‘take over’ the car parks in front of their premises and have additional outdoor seating which is cool. Everything is table service only and you have to wear a mask when you’re not seated (ie going to the bathroom).

We’re starting to see the traditional live music venues put on shows to smaller seated crowds while also selling tickets for the livestream. Thankfully we had a bit of a government grant system that went out to help these venues that were effectively shut (outside of takeaways, etc) for half a year, and any business with significant loss of revenue was eligible for ‘job keeper’ payments through business that directly went to the individual employees who had lost/reduced work, so even if you worked somewhere that was completely closed you’d get about $1500 (before tax) each fortnight as a supplementary/replacement wage. I’m not sure yet, but it feels like those measures might have been enough for a lot of these amazing bars/pubs/venues to hold on during the shutdown. Fingers crossed they all survived...

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
for a lot of these amazing bars/pubs/venues to hold on during the shutdown.
The clubs that shut down around here weren't exactly amazing (in fact, they were mostly pretty seedy), but they were good for a stop on the local circuit every couple months. My city was already losing live opportunities to DJs anyway, so it wasn't a surprise that some folded altogether.

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
Supposed to have a gig(inside...incidental music with dinner. New York State) with my sisters band on Dec. 12, but she is very nervous about doing so, especially with COVID on the rise again. She asked the band today what they think.(I don’t know replies yet) I thought if she’s going to be nervous about it, best to cancel. I’m ok either way, but would be nice to play but want to be cautious. At this point for one gig maybe just better to wait.
She canceled. : (