Gimmicky gear

gezz

DFO Star
Reaction score
Just saw this on facebook.. new cymbals in the Sabian range with absolutely ghastly ink "artwork" (if you consider it art).. these cymbals look mess and i would never play such an ugly overdone piece of gear.
All these cymbals full of holes, or stacked or the ultimate of the jojo mayer thing that are two cymbal cut offs which sit on top of your snare!!
they want to charge you £200.00 for those as well!
Good gear is good gear, simple, well engineered and quality SOUNDING gear is what i want.. function and performance..
I would love to drive over one of those joey jordan snares or whatever he calls himself (sLIpKnoT)
and smash it to pieces!

RANT over gerry

Attachments

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't mind the etched cymbals....but somebody take the spray paint away from Jr. at the Sabian factory.

Bonzoholic

Helluva Nice Guy
Reaction score
The cymbal on the left is from Neil Pearts "Clockwork Angels" set up for their tour. Not sure if they are a retail cymbal.

Asher

Reaction score
I think the crashes with holes sound interesting. I tried a few at the Bosphorus factory, and they seemed like a cross between a normal crash and a china. I wouldn't choose one as a primary crash, but I wouldn't mind having one (if I weren't so averse to lugging around extra cymbal stands).

biggator

DFO Star
Reaction score
secret tip, gezz..

those jordison snares may have ugly artwork on them.. but they sound GREAT.

As mentioned.. the one on the left is a Peart replica.. the one on the right is a Chad Smith thing (RHCP logo).

M

Matt Middleton

biggator said:
As mentioned.. the one on the left is a Peart replica.. the one on the right is a Chad Smith thing (RHCP logo).
This.

Those were made for they artists mentioned. They aren't production models.

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
Matt Middleton said:
This.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. And so many of us were eager to buy some of them.

Bunnyman

Stuarto Pidasso
Reaction score
I LOOOOOVE gimmicks!!!! Colorsound cymbals? Check. Concrete Snare? Check. Carmine Appice Lampshade cymbal? Check.

Colorsounds actually do something for the sound. Concrete Snares? Oh, hell yes!!!! I am contemplating a 5.5" Concrete, since I like mine so well... Lampshade cymbal? Interesting accent.

You could buy the Peart Time Machine cymbals at a serious premium for a limited time. I don't think Chad Smith's RHCP china is for sale except possibly from the custom shoppe.

Different strokes, matey.

TDM

Yapping Internet Mutt
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of gimmicky cymbals in general, and this includes most of the designs where banding, pre-applied patina, and other patterns are applied. It's just a way to make certain models look different. I don't hear much difference from traditional cymbals with the same weight, hammering, and lathing characteristics, but without the patterning. It's marketing, just as different finishes help sell drums.

critterkllr

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of gimmicky gear or painted cymbals and stuff, but I'm glad they're at least trying. As long as we can still get what we had, it doesn't hurt to have new options. Nothing wrong with creativity with instruments. I think a lot of these new cymbals with holes and stuff are to fit more in the electronic market. They seem more like noise/effects makers and are definitely not all purpose. It's like a china to me.

Jimbodaddy

Reaction score
And you pay more to have a "used" guitar. Marketing at its finest. I prefer my own dents and scratches. You can't fake mojo.

lazer

DFO Master
Reaction score
it's known as the 'distressed ' or 'reliced' look

whatever,as long as it sounds good and can stand up to long playing hours

Jimbodaddy

Reaction score
I know about the "distressed" look. I used to work in a furniture shop where we made a line of that. I called it the Helloutofit collection. Like someone took a perfectly good piece of furniture and beat the hell out of it.

M

Matt Middleton

W&A Player said:
This.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. And so many of us were eager to buy some of them.

Not sure what the sarcasm is for... but as a long time employee of the good folks at Fender you are no doubt aware of the kind of sales success that artist designed products can have, as well as their value as a showpiece in a trade show booth.

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Saw them at the show yesterday. They're just collector's items. Not my cup of tea, but I'm certainly not bothered by Sabian giving it a shot.

Fortunately, these companies still make traditional instruments, so the gimmicky stuff is easy to ignore if you'd prefer. That said, I'm OK with weird stuff. Gimmick or not, certain sounds and looks appeal to certain players. Like Critter said, I'm happy companies are still experimenting. It's their money that's being spent to try the stuff, not ours until we make the decision.