header.nohb.html

Ginger Baker opines

John

Reaction score
His comment in latest Rolling Stone:
"They credited us (Cream) with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion." Ginger Baker

Dave

Reaction score
Q: What do Ginger Baker and black coffee have in common?

Dave

Reaction score
A: They both suck without Cream. :lol:

Old Joke! (and before I get flamed, Its just a joke, GB doesnt suck) :blackeye:

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is incorrect. G. Baker has a rudimental style that he has applied to authentic Central African rhythms. He'll be the first to admit it.These pulses were the vehicle for communal , choreographed and very precisely arranged dancing patterns with choral accompaniment.Rhumba, son, and what we call the Bo Diddley beat are derivatives .John Lee Hooker's famous Boogie Chillun riff is identical to those in Senegal. Clapton was serious student of all the American bluesmen.There's the connection.
So.... thats where the origin is. Mind you ,any African musician witnessing , a Motorhead concert would fall down laughing.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
They both suck without Cream?

jim

No, the punch line to that one is supposed to be Eric Clapton... and OK, The Layla album notwithstanding...

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
I read that article---given some of his comments there doesn't seem to be much if any chance of another Cream reunion. Apparently there has been some major cash dangled under their noses for another US tour since their Madison Square Garden shows in '06, but he in particular doesn't seem to be interested, although he could use the money. Whatever truce there was between Baker and Bruce during the rehearsals for and performances of the Royal Albert Hall shows appears to have evaporated. Bruce made a comment along the lines of "Ginger lives on another continent but he still may be too close!" :lol:

DrumBob said:
I can see it now: Is Ginger Baker tribal or jazz?

Here we go again. :roll:

Maybe he's jazbal....
Whatever his style, I wish I had half the discography and just a couple opportunities to play with some of the giants he's played with.

Chris

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
I can see it now: Is Ginger Baker tribal or jazz?

WHAT IS "TRIBAL?"

Where can I find that in a record store... Is there a category? His stuff most likely, in a well laid out, well stocked record store will be found in both the rock and jazz sections and so that's where I'll be looking for it. I guess what's cool about him is to me is that he kind of transcends categories.

I'm not sure that I like him so much for his outspokenness... that seems to make him kind of a blowhard in my book. Besides, at least the first ten years or so of what folks called "heavy metal" wasn't really all that much different than what Cream were doing. Led Zep, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath were to my mind on a similar path as Cream in a lot of ways. Jump forward a few more years to the 80's hair metal/butt rock and todays more extreme metal stuff and I would agree that it is indeed worlds beyond Cream... and in most cases not nearly as good music, IMO. I still don't really need to hear Ginger Baker dis it though. He'd be a lot more of a class act, if he were more able to let his music speak for itself... Music that to my mind is mostly pretty good.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Ginger Baker should have his own talk show. That'd be a riot!!

Timm

Reaction score
BennyK
Ginger with a talk show? Have you ever heard him speak? That Cockney accent is so thick, I doubt that even Brits are capable of understanding him...

JohnG

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The guy says one thing on Monday and then the complete opposite on Tuesday.
I respect him for what he did with Cream but thats about it......Bruce has alot more class, staying power and style......

tomtomz

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A few days ago I was thinking to myself, "You know, it's been a long time since we (DFO) ripped on Ginger Baker."

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Ginger Baker whatever. Rock music critics back in the 60's were saying he was influenced by Max Roach, because of the bass drum and tom interplay. Well, I thought: Why not just listen to Max?

I saw Cream in the 60's. They had one dynamic level: loud. The guitar and bass solos were boring, just basically interminable regurgitated blues licks. Baker did all of his requisite double bass and tom stuff. His Ludwigs sounded good, though.

To me, the time feel of that band was very plodding and ponderous.

Monty

DFO Master
Reaction score
The ironic thing is, if it wasn't for Cream, RS wouldn't be interviewing him and it's very doubtful we would be discussing him.
But the big question is, does anyone really give a sh*t what Ginger Baker thinks about...Well, anything???

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
It wasn't long after I joined up here at DFO that I posted a comment," American music sounds better on American drums".This was a quote from an interview with Ginger in MD,( which I neglected to mention).Vitriolic bombast and gnashing of teeth from all stripes and colors was the reaction. He has that effect on people.
Can't argue with his drumming though, so his opinions have substance.Nobody plays like him, though Art Blakeys kinda coming from the same place.

Monty

DFO Master
Reaction score
His opinion has substance for who?? Only those who actually care. Yeah, he did some great drumming, but so have hundreds of others. Just because he did some great drumming doesn't automatically mean I value his opinion. I mean, didn't Jim Gordon do some great drumming? But, who's gonna go to him for opinions?

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, I guess I am one of the few who really dug Ginger and was influenced by the CREAM stuff. I distinctly remember playing along to WHITE ROOM on my homemade drums out in the garage, counting out the 5/4 parts and trying to get that 16th triplet fill into the bridge to flow. I really believe that my early influences of Ginger and Mitch allowed me to move into jazz more readily, as they were both coming from jazz backgrounds.

OTOH, I have been listening to some live Cream (original stuff) and Ginger's timing could be pretty plodding and dreadful.