Ginormous ride on video

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the upload... I dont know about anyone else but I enjoyed the heck out of that!

feelyat

Reaction score
Sounds great, though. Also, I love the wall of amps, all on chairs, behind the guys in front. I count 6.

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Damn. I wonder if he had a case for that thing?
That's a lot of dudes playing up there. Would have been awesome to see something like that live.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Sounds great, though. Also, I love the wall of amps, all on chairs, behind the guys in front. I count 6.
...and 4 are Fender tube amps!
Guitar player uses Peavey?...can't tell what the other one is.
That is a BIG ol' ride!
From the later days of the Big Band era.
...and a nice set of Premiers! Probably Projectors.
Good ol' drums. 3 ply, Birch with solid Beech sound rings.
Nice to see someone actually playing one of those big ol' rides.
Good video, too! -b

Elvis

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That was great.
That ride sounds perfect.
Probably sounds not so nice played alone...but behind all that "noise"(i mean that in a good way)...blends right in

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've got a 28" Zildjian ride. Cool to see something like it in actual use. I've heard that Stan Kenton (or was it Woody Herman?) favored having his drummers use big rides like that.

At the beginning they mention that these former members of Bob Wills group traveled from all corners of the country to be there. The drummer must have felt that that cymbal was an important part of the band's (or his) sound to lug it any distance. His hi-hat cymbals look to be plenty big as well, 16's perhaps.

Old country is not my thing but I much prefer it to the modern stuff and I thoroughly enjoyed this video as well as the recent Ken Burns documentary.

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got a 28" Zildjian ride. Cool to see something like it in actual use. I've heard that Stan Kenton (or was it Woody Herman?) favored having his drummers use big rides like that.

At the beginning they mention that these former members of Bob Wills group traveled from all corners of the country to be there. The drummer must have felt that that cymbal was an important part of the band's (or his) sound to lug it any distance. His hi-hat cymbals look to be plenty big as well, 16's perhaps.

Old country is not my thing but I much prefer it to the modern stuff and I thoroughly enjoyed this video as well as the recent Ken Burns documentary.
Cool. Thanks for the heads up on that documentary. I'm going to watch the hell out of that.

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
...By nobody, ever.

what today we lump together as Bluegrass was refereed to more commonly in the era as string or fiddle music

"From the beginning, Bob Wills saw drums as integral to his vision. The first to play them in his group was William “Smokey” Dacus, whom Wills had heard performing at a hotel in Tulsa. In a 1981 interview conducted by music journalist Scott K. Fish, published in its entirety in 2015 on scottkfish.com, Dacus recalled his initial reaction when he was invited to join the band.

“At that time, his type of music had two names,” he told Fish. “It was either a fiddle band or a string band. That’s the only way you referred to them. And they did not use drums! . . . [So] I said, ‘What in the hell do you want with a drummer in a fiddle band?’ I thought he’d lost his mind! And he said, ‘I want to take your kind of music and my kind of music and put them together and make it swing.’”

Last edited:

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
That quote doesn’t say anything about bluegrass, and I don’t buy that line about “we lump together”. Might want to look up the history of bluegrass and see how distinct it is from the country music of Texas and the Plains.