Gloss lacquer vs satin vs wrap... sonic differences?

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What I have read, been told, or watched out here, if the exterior is "solid" to the outer ply, it is "supposed" to operate as one resonating chamber. So I would imagine gluing the entire covering down would not deaden it as much as tape. Then the differences between "hide glue" vs 3M glue, etc...

And.....
What about the options of polyurethane vs nitrocellulose lacquer vs varnish/shellac (original style)?

Varnish worked for Stradivarius .....

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
There's a guy in my town who makes drums and he's super-serious about the resonance. he doesn't wrap kits because of that and doesn't even sand them because he believes that some of the powder will wind up in the pores of the drum. Rather than sanding for smoothness, he uses large bladed tools to scrape the wood, which from what I've seen works, in that the result is smooth like sanding. Furthermore, he does this thing with where he attaches the lugs to what he calls "nodal points" The idea is that each size shell has a different point of attachment where the lug limits the resonance the least.... so that a 14" deep floor tome would have the lugs set a a different distance from the edge than a 8" deep rack tom. Of all of this stuff, I think that the nodal point thing is the only one that makes much sense. I don't think that wapping a tom is going to eat the resonance enough to make much of a difference.

Reaction score
Furthermore, he does this thing with where he attaches the lugs to what he calls "nodal points"...
Nodal points were invented/discovered/patented by Noble and Cooley, and Yamaha licence/licenced it.