GMS Drums - still around ?

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see very little about GMS drums these days compared to the past . Are they still in business ? I was always a fan of GMS (along with N&C) . They made some of the nicest lacquer finishes I have ever seen and their drums sound fantastic .

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not on FB, but a quick search showed a post from March 2, but their homepage appears dated. Looks like everything's pretty slow with them in general, but it seems they're still around.

I agree with you on their finishes. I'm a sparkle fan, and their lacquer offerings were so well done. Still love Sterling's Bowie kit.

93D02C73-23A9-4B7B-86CD-9A2B9070D393.jpeg

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard JP's Grand Master kit live a few times. Big drums, BIG full sound. I read that he had GMS refurbish that kit a couple years ago.

08906A26-FD7E-4E20-B4BE-D37A74E4FB95.jpeg

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I haven't seen a new GMS kit in many years. I owned two of them back in the 90s and they were extraordinary drums, especially the bass drums...just killer bass drums. Great hardware, great lacquer finishes. It doesn't look like they are too active these days as I haven't seen any new kits or snare drums released in years.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I played one once back in the mid-90s; build quality, lacquer finish and sound were all top notch.

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the owners may be reachable on occasion. I don’t think they are officially in business.
I have a CL bop kit in natural finish, a non matching snare, and a tom I bought if I ever need lugs.
Great drums. Wish GMS was still active.

Attachments

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
OT - That's a terrible name for a drum company. Very forgettable and really hard to market no matter how good the drums are. How do you get people to remember it or care? I can think of a bunch of better names than that right off the top of my head. Sounds like they didn't put 2 minutes of thought into it. No wonder they're OOB.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
OT - That's a terrible name for a drum company. Very forgettable and really hard to market no matter how good the drums are. How do you get people to remember it or care? I can think of a bunch of better names than that right off the top of my head. Sounds like they didn't put 2 minutes of thought into it. No wonder they're OOB.
Yeah, I can't imagine a drum company being successful with just a couple of initials as a brand name.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, who's ever heard of DW, PDP, OCDP, SJC, C&C...what were these guys thinking?

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember another thread a few months back where someone was trying to contact them and had no luck from what I recall.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
They did just fine for quite a few years with that forgettable name. They were endorsed by the drummers for a few nationally known bands, added a second line of less expensive drums that were very nice and seemed to do fine with those. I'm pretty sure it was a small operation, and that's a lot of work and a lot of stress for those involved. At some point it's okay to just say "We made great drums and still have a great reputation, but we're getting older and don't have the energy we once had, so let's call it a day. Thanks and good night!"

GMSdrums77

Reaction score
As far as I now they are still in business. Here is my newer GMS kit built in late 2019. I also have an earlier kit made in 1999. Both kits have that magic. Build quality is top notch as well as sound quality.

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those who became familiar, and are familiar with GMS, speak highly because of the quality and craftsmanship, which ultimately yields the sounds and tones of their excellent instruments; names are only part of the equation.

I find nothing memorable at all about the name Taylor, but that didn't stop me from understanding what I was hearing and appreciating what incredibly fine guitars they are. That's why I remember the name; because it's tied to the quality of the instrument.

I'd bet that when Tony and Rob realized that they had something special with their Grand Master Series drums, the company moniker was an easy decision. Now here we are, 34 years later having a discussion about these killer drums, not because of three letters, but because of what those three letters represent.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
GMS - the name was 90s thing and it had a nice logo. that from a distance was sometimes mistaken as a banjo instead of snares

Today's a differenet day (different- net- get it?)
Where you have vaunted names. Are expected to. Like "IndiE" Heck I can't even spell that correctly.. ; )
get off Jimmy's back. back then he was a Guitar player.

Last edited:

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, who's ever heard of DW, PDP, OCDP, SJC, C&C...what were these guys thinking?
DW - super simple two letter acronym for Drum Workshop, sounds pretty cool.

PDP - easy to remember, also stands for something, Pacific Drum & Percussion

C&C - sounds pretty cool and easy to remember

OCDP - no idea, never heard of them. And with a "name" like that, why would I?

SJC - tough to remember in a crowd.

Canopus, Pork Pie, Taye, Pearl, Tama, Tempus, Premier are all cool names.

Ludwig, Slingerland, Rogers, Gretsch, Yamaha all legacy, all cool and all so instantly recognizable.

The drums may be great, but are you really telling me GMS is a good name? What does it even stand for? (I actually had to go to the top of the thread to remember if it was GMP or GMS)

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
The drums may be great, but are you really telling me GMS is a good name? What does it even stand for? (I actually had to go to the top of the thread to remember if it was GMP or GMS)
Your lack of familiarity with the name does not mean it's a bad name: all it means is that you don't know drum brand names as well as you should if you're going to pass judgement.