GMS Drums - still around ?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
GMS stands for a couple Italians from Farmingdale NY you'd like them Jimmy you'd like them ; )
and temporarily Closed.

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are still in business, contact info can be found in their website, and their drums are great. They did some work for me just last week. This is a quality company with high integrity.
Good to hear. What kind of work did they do if you don’t mind saying.

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
I see very little about GMS drums these days compared to the past . Are they still in business ? I was always a fan of GMS (along with N&C) . They made some of the nicest lacquer finishes I have ever seen and their drums sound fantastic .
Had a few snares of theirs over the years that always sounded killer and were very high quality. Very interesting and unique mechanisms too.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a beautiful cherry lacquer set and matching congas/bongos. When they sent it to him one of the spurs scratched the finish in shipment and when he told them about it they sent him a new drum, no questions asked. So he now has a double kick GMS that never leaves the house, but sounds wonderful.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember seeing Stone temple Pilots on the tour supporting their no.4 album. They were openning for the Chili Peppers. And man oh man did STP play circles around RHCP that night... And the comparison between Kretz's HUUUUGE sounding GMS set and Smith's tightly tuned Pearls, was akin to seeing a Steamroller vs a Smart car frontal collision...

This is my only known live encounter with a GMS set and it was about 20 years ago. Though I've tried one orphan GMS acrylic snare in a local shop last year. It sounded real good, build quality was top notch and it looked AMAZING!! (Orange and white stripes). It's been a dream of mine for years to have a "creamsicle" orange/white acrylic set and had they had the matching set I'd have bought the lot right then and there no matter the cost. But instead I came back home to ponder on wether or not I should still buy the snare and it finally had sold when I went to try it a second time.

Genr

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a beautiful cherry lacquer set and matching congas/bongos. When they sent it to him one of the spurs scratched the finish in shipment and when he told them about it they sent him a new drum, no questions asked. So he now has a double kick GMS that never leaves the house, but sounds wonderful.
Not surprised, they are a class company.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
At some point it's okay to just say "We made great drums and still have a great reputation, but we're getting older and don't have the energy we once had, so let's call it a day. Thanks and good night!"
This pretty much sums it up.

Don’t get me wrong, they make the occasional drum, but I found it to be for only a few people who I know to truly love the company. The last ones they did for me I never finished my part which was doing a pretty complicated design in real abalone. They were going to finish them once I did. I dropped the ball there.

They are still in business, contact info can be found in their website, and their drums are great. They did some work for me just last week. This is a quality company with high integrity.
Nice to hear it’s not just for people I know personally. I have not talked to Rob since last summer. This has inspired me to call him tomorrow.

Reaction score
I missed this post. Thanks for the confirmation.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if they can match finishes on older kits. That would be a question to ask them, but if anyone here added sizes to their older GMS kit, was matching the finish an option, even decades apart?

CigarScott

Reaction score
I picked up a Revolution snare at Vic's in Chicago and it's phenomenal. I just wish I could have afforded to buy an entire kit from them. Anyone have any idea why DCP no longer carries GMS? They're not terribly far from each other and DCP seems to carry every boutique and niche drum maker...