GMS Drums - still around ?

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
The house kit at a place I used to play at a lot in East Hampton Ny was a GMS, although it was the imported line, IIRC. I always liked playing them.
The real grand master series drums with the machined lugs and stuff always looked like killer high quality stuff.

Somebody mentioned the STP GMS sound vs the RHCP pearl sound... which is funny because I also have a pic of Taylor Hawkins on the GMS kit with Chad smith on his pearls.. on that same stage

Attachments

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Okay. I just got off the phone with Rob from GMS. He told me anything from their custom shop plus any improvements and/or repairs needed they are doing. So feel free to order almost anything you want regarding snares and kits.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The house kit at a place I used to play at a lot in East Hampton Ny was a GMS, although it was the imported line, IIRC. I always liked playing them.
The real grand master series drums with the machined lugs and stuff always looked like killer high quality stuff.

Somebody mentioned the STP GMS sound vs the RHCP pearl sound... which is funny because I also have a pic of Taylor Hawkins on the GMS kit with Chad smith on his pearls.. on that same stage
Eric Kretz played in STP, not Taylor Hawkins. Kretz was the perfect match for STP, IMO.

I’m not sure if you thought TH played in STP but the reference made it seem that way.

Sonorholic

DFO Star
Reaction score
They were the FIRST with lacquer finishes that looked like sparkles etc. I also remember the first time they showed up at PASIC.. every time someone played those drums, heads would turn!! I used a GMS snare on all of Cure for Pain. I've been down to their shop and seen the work first hand. Great drums period.

EthylOH

Reaction score
I saw Candlebox live in 1997, and their drummer had a GMS kit that sounded unbelievable. I knew right then and there that I had to have one.

So my broke college self saved up until I could afford one a year or two later. I ended up with a CL series (I wasn't a huge fan of the high tension lugs on their other series), and still have it as my main kit to this day.

The toms sound good, but the kick is on another level. I remember playing a gig at one of those medium sized venues with a full EAW PA system that really belonged in an arena rather than a club. I had our guitarist redo the soundcheck just so I could go out on the main floor to hear it. So much punch, depth, and attack - the kick felt like a cannon.

I also worked at a music store in college , and happened to have my kit in the car for a gig after my shift, so I brought it in to compare it to all the other major brands in the store. Again, the toms were perfectly serviceable, but the kick outclassed every other kit we had.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As far as I now they are still in business. Here is my newer GMS kit built in late 2019. I also have an earlier kit made in 1999. Both kits have that magic. Build quality is top notch as well as sound quality.
I don’t see anything.

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Eric Kretz played in STP, not Taylor Hawkins. Kretz was the perfect match for STP, IMO.

I’m not sure if you thought TH played in STP but the reference made it seem that way.
I never said Taylor Hawkins played for STP, I just said it’s funny we were comparing Chad Smiths pearl Drums to GMS Drums because I have a picture of them both on the same stage together