GOATS - Greatest Drummers of All Time, As Voted By You

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure we can - if over no more than the idea of using the limited public reach of a site like MusicRadar.com as source for determining "the public's perception". Musicradar is a site aimed primarily at musicians and wannabe musicians - filled with ads for musical equipment. That's a pretty small slice of the "public at large".

IMO a true public list would be far different.... and probably a lot shorter. Have People, Time and the Wall Street Journal do such polls - combine then and then we'd see the "public's perception".

Not that I see why we should care. Anyone here ever got hired as a drummer by the public? Not as part of a band... I mean directly hired as a drummer. :)
I like your thinking, Dcriger! Combining the Greatest Drummer poll with Sexiest Man Alive is long overdue! “Plus: 165 Drummers We Love!”
5581D6D8-E9BB-46E0-A247-80CF2D90CC1B.jpeg

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like your thinking, Dcriger! Combining the Greatest Drummer poll with Sexiest Man Alive is long overdue! “Plus: 165 Drummers We Love!” View attachment 497383
An absurd thought for sure - but the readers of People - they ARE the public... Not that collection of future-rock-stars-in-their-dreams folks that comprise the bulk of MusicRadar's viewership. :)

That is - if you really want to talk about the public.... which again, I really can't see why...

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
wow...my post got edited for "abbreviated profanity".
I didn't know DFO was affiliated with Facebook,Inc...maybe a DFO Jail is in order.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
While Hawkins is a great drummer and I prefer him over Grohl it’s weird to see him on there and not sucherman, or Louie bellson

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow...my post got edited for "abbreviated profanity".
I didn't know DFO was affiliated with Facebook,Inc...maybe a DFO Jail is in order.
It's actually stated in the rules of the forum...Just saying.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You think he’s a GOAT based on how he plays “Babe,” “Sweet Madame Blue” and “Mr. Roboto?”
No I think he’s a goat by the fact he has contributed to the drum community with his amazing clinics. His solo records, his extensive studio work for a million other bands outside of styx his drumming is great. I’m a huge Taylor Hawkins and foo fighters fan but don’t ness think he should be on that list. Please tell me what work granted him To be on that list because 80% of the foos biggest hits Dave did the drums on.

Last edited:

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
True but we saw Neil attempt it and it went....ok?

That's a guy completely out of his comfort zone kicking a&$# and for me it was ten times more enjoyable than his solo on his big kit posted in the drum solo discussion thread. Sure he's not Buddy Rich, he's Neal Peart with his style and feel paying tribute to Buddy Rich and doing a very fine job, great stuff.

vivapapajo

Reaction score
Who's the best? We can argue that all day.

What we can't argue is 'What is the public's perception of who is the best?'

Well, MusicRadar.com gives us the answer with the results of its poll in which the public declares The Greatest Drummers of All Time.

Since it so heavily skews to drummers the Forumites hold in such reverence -- the studio standouts who played 70s soft rock and the clinicians I call 'yesterday's YouTubers' -- I'm confident there will be wide agreement about the Top 25 Goats!"

30. Meg White (the public has spoken and it's 50.8% female!).

29. Jay Weinberg

28. Tommy Lee

27. Benny Greb

26. "Evil" Mario Duplantier (the greatest drummer many of you have never heard, as he's current).

25. James Gadsen

24. Taylor Hawkins

23. Jojo Meyer

22. Josh Freese

21. Marco Minnemann

20. Joey Jordison

19. Clyde Stubblefield

18. Matt Cameron

17. Nicko McBrain (Actual last name!)

16. Travis Barker

15. Chad Smith

14. Dave Lombardo

13. Dave Grohl

12. Phil Collins

11. Jeff Porcaro

10. Billy Cobham

9. Mike Portnoy

8. Steward Copeland

7. Steve Gadd

6. Danny Carey

5. Keith Moon

4. Ginger Baker

3. Buddy Rich

2. John Bonham

1. Neil Peart

OMG - this has to be the worst list ever assembled!!!! Their "radar" must be broken as maybe, just maybe at best, only 3-4 of those drummers belong in a Top 30 Greatest list.

Monday317

Reaction score

Well, MusicRadar.com gives us the answer with the results of its poll in which the public declares The Greatest Drummers of All Time.

Since it so heavily skews to drummers the Forumites hold in such reverence -- the studio standouts who played 70s soft rock and the clinicians I call 'yesterday's YouTubers' -- I'm confident there will be wide agreement about the Top 25 Goats!"

29. Jay Weinberg

28. Tommy Lee

27. Benny Greb

26. "Evil" Mario Duplantier (the greatest drummer many of you have never heard, as he's current).

25. James Gadsen

24. Taylor Hawkins

23. Jojo Meyer

22. Josh Freese

21. Marco Minnemann

20. Joey Jordison

19. Clyde Stubblefield

18. Matt Cameron

16. Travis Barker

15. Chad Smith

14. Dave Lombardo

13. Dave Grohl

12. Phil Collins

11. Jeff Porcaro

10. Billy Cobham

9. Mike Portnoy

8. Steward Copeland

7. Steve Gadd

6. Danny Carey

5. Keith Moon

4. Ginger Baker

3. Buddy Rich

2. John Bonham

1. Neil Peart

I generally don’t bother with polls like these because the premise is invalid. It assumes a pyramid where “The Best” occupies the apex and everyone else is below that point. With the Arts in general being so subjective a topic, a proper poll would have a number of ziggurats (step pyramid) for differing categories, with a limit of say, 3 occupants at each level.

For instance, this poll doesn’t include Joe Morello or Louie Bellson. Bellson, for example, could push Rich to his limits in drum battles and, IMHO, with a bit in reserve had he wanted to get viscous. Any of these three drummers would push Peart off the top handily.

Additonally, Ringo isn’t on the list; he should be and in the top ten. Not for his chops of course but occupies a niche in that he has such a distinctive sound, a listener can immediately identify the drummer. That’s a pretty unique characteristic for any musician.

Meg White—really?! Proves my point about pointless polls.

Please pardon the painful, impromptu alliteration.

dammit.

Last edited:

Tom Holder

Reaction score
Buddy is number three because he's old school and ignorant young people don't know who he is. They don't know who Max Roach is, either. Five years from now, Buddy won't be on the list at all. Neil Peart indeed! Buddy eats Neil for breakfast and eliminates him before suppertime. Sorry, youngsters... sometimes the truth "hearts". A very smart guy I know says: "You can't vote on the truth". Just because a whole bunch of people say "blah-blah" is true, that doesn't make it so. Many people say Charlie Daniels is a great violinist, too. That's just because they never heard Paganini.

unspokendrums

Reaction score

29. Jay Weinberg

28. Tommy Lee

27. Benny Greb

25. James Gadsen

24. Taylor Hawkins

23. Jojo Meyer

22. Josh Freese

21. Marco Minnemann

20. Joey Jordison

19. Clyde Stubblefield

18. Matt Cameron

16. Travis Barker

15. Chad Smith

14. Dave Lombardo

13. Dave Grohl

12. Phil Collins

11. Jeff Porcaro

10. Billy Cobham

9. Mike Portnoy

8. Steward Copeland

7. Steve Gadd

6. Danny Carey

5. Keith Moon

4. Ginger Baker

3. Buddy Rich

2. John Bonham

1. Neil Peart

No freaking way, true Goat definition is way out of half of this list. It’s not just the guy who played at your favorite record or the one you’ve seen the most. Just the fact that Vinnie Colaiuta is not even in the first 2 places saids it all.