GOATS - Greatest Drummers of All Time, As Voted By You

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to start a thread to figure out just how to properly determine the greatest.
I’d like to see this settled once and for all .

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Buddy is number three because he's old school and ignorant young people don't know who he is. They don't know who Max Roach is, either. Five years from now, Buddy won't be on the list at all. Neil Peart indeed! Buddy eats Neil for breakfast and eliminates him before suppertime. Sorry, youngsters... sometimes the truth "hearts". A very smart guy I know says: "You can't vote on the truth". Just because a whole bunch of people say "blah-blah" is true, that doesn't make it so. Many people say Charlie Daniels is a great violinist, too. That's just because they never heard Paganini.
Guess you should of voted.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
I want to start a thread to figure out just how to properly determine the greatest.
I’d like to see this settled once and for all .
Good luck with that. Let me know how it turns out. :)

Sammybear

Reaction score
I’m just tickled to death to see Buddy at #3 instead of #1 .
Bahahahahahahahahahahaha
That may be, Benny K, but Neal Peart, IMHO, is highly overrated. Bwahahahahaha! Just sayin. Regarding the list, to each their own.... it is humorous and conversation provoking at best. But, what do I know? In the immortal words of Socrates-"I know that I know nothing."

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Neil Peart is the perfect ambassador for the greatest of all time. The guy carried himself with class. Was smart as a whip. Lived through terrible trauma and came out the other side stronger than before. Was always wanting to get better at his instrument, even taking lessons late in life. Wrote some cool books about his life and journeys. Didn't have his life controlled by substances. Wrote all the lyrics for the band he was in for over 40 years. Created some of the most iconic drum kits. Brought the drums to the fore front, showing people that drums were on par with the other instruments in the group. Created some fantastic drum solos, that were the highlight of many RUSH shows, and used every part of his huge kits incorporating many percussive elements along with electronics throughout the years. Even being able to stay in the same band with the same group of guys for over 40 years, shows a strong character. Then you have all the fantastic drum parts he created over the years, enduring himself to pros and fans alike.

jansara

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Another popularity contest disguised as "The Greatest", put together by people who don't know where it's at because they don't know where it's been. Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Brahms, Dvorak and Rachmaninoff, to name a few, would all place lower than John Williams in a similar "Greatest Composers" list.

IBitePrettyHard

Reaction score
There should be a distinction between "Greatest" and "Most Influential" because there's a huge difference. Ringo Star and Lars Ulrich are good examples of this.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There should be a distinction between "Greatest" and "Most Influential" because there's a huge difference. Ringo Star and Lars Ulrich are good examples of this.
In my opinion there oughtta be nothing .
We all play an instrument , we all have our place ...

Peace and Love .

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most Loved coming next..
MLOAT's

or
..BLOAT's
"best loved of all time"

"most admired of all time"
...MAOAT's

MVDE's
"most visible drummer ever"

dyland

Reaction score
Man, of ALL time? That's a long ass time, dude. And the list only touches on the 20th and 21st centuries? What a load.

What about my favorite drummer from the Paleolithic, Cruzdog Bonehammer? Guy got such a rich sound out of nothing but stretched out tiger hide and two dulled mammoth tusks. Or what about Philomestes, the baddest chick drummer of ancient Greece? No love for Temur Kutlugh? He was the most feared drummer in Ghengis Khan's war procession. Crickets. You'd think the fine people at MusicRadar would do their damn research for once.

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
Friends have sent me random videos of kids who are at least as good as most of the people on that list, but nobody will ever know their names outside of their 15 YouTube subscribers. And people just like them existed before there was internet proof they could play.

It's a weird metric to have. Maybe someone can start a category of drummers who have the most fun playing.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Friends have sent me random videos of kids who are at least as good as most of the people on that list, but nobody will ever know their names outside of their 15 YouTube subscribers. And people just like them existed before there was internet proof they could play.

It's a weird metric to have. Maybe someone can start a category of drummers who have the most fun playing.
Playing a cover and creating something that people will buy and fall in love with are two entirely different animals.

pendragon

Reaction score
Who's the best? We can argue that all day.

What we can't argue is 'What is the public's perception of who is the best?'

Well, MusicRadar.com gives us the answer with the results of its poll in which the public declares The Greatest Drummers of All Time.

Since it so heavily skews to drummers the Forumites hold in such reverence -- the studio standouts who played 70s soft rock and the clinicians I call 'yesterday's YouTubers' -- I'm confident there will be wide agreement about the Top 25 Goats!"

30. Meg White (the public has spoken and it's 50.8% female!).

29. Jay Weinberg

28. Tommy Lee

27. Benny Greb

26. "Evil" Mario Duplantier (the greatest drummer many of you have never heard, as he's current).

25. James Gadsen

24. Taylor Hawkins

23. Jojo Meyer

22. Josh Freese

21. Marco Minnemann

20. Joey Jordison

19. Clyde Stubblefield

18. Matt Cameron

17. Nicko McBrain (Actual last name!)

16. Travis Barker

15. Chad Smith

14. Dave Lombardo

13. Dave Grohl

12. Phil Collins

11. Jeff Porcaro

10. Billy Cobham

9. Mike Portnoy

8. Steward Copeland

7. Steve Gadd

6. Danny Carey

5. Keith Moon

4. Ginger Baker

3. Buddy Rich

2. John Bonham

1. Neil Peart

Meg White over Steve Jordan?? The 18 year old kid who impressed the Godfather of soul on David Letterman doesn’t get a nod but Meg White does??? Emanuelle Caplette deserves to be on the list long before Meg!!! These lists suck

pendragon

Reaction score
Who's the best? We can argue that all day.

What we can't argue is 'What is the public's perception of who is the best?'

Well, MusicRadar.com gives us the answer with the results of its poll in which the public declares The Greatest Drummers of All Time.

Since it so heavily skews to drummers the Forumites hold in such reverence -- the studio standouts who played 70s soft rock and the clinicians I call 'yesterday's YouTubers' -- I'm confident there will be wide agreement about the Top 25 Goats!"

30. Meg White (the public has spoken and it's 50.8% female!).

29. Jay Weinberg

28. Tommy Lee

27. Benny Greb

26. "Evil" Mario Duplantier (the greatest drummer many of you have never heard, as he's current).

25. James Gadsen

24. Taylor Hawkins

23. Jojo Meyer

22. Josh Freese

21. Marco Minnemann

20. Joey Jordison

19. Clyde Stubblefield

18. Matt Cameron

17. Nicko McBrain (Actual last name!)

16. Travis Barker

15. Chad Smith

14. Dave Lombardo

13. Dave Grohl

12. Phil Collins

11. Jeff Porcaro

10. Billy Cobham

9. Mike Portnoy

8. Steward Copeland

7. Steve Gadd

6. Danny Carey

5. Keith Moon

4. Ginger Baker

3. Buddy Rich

2. John Bonham

1. Neil Peart

Lists like this should only include drummers who are true craftsman at their trade. What I mean to say is drummers who play and excel in multiple genres of music and styles. Innovators and mentors in their field. I am not discounting any drummer on the list but a great jazz drummer is a great jazz drummer...a 240 bpm metal drummer is an excellent metal drummer. Drummers like Steve Jordan, Ginger Baker, Neil Peart, and Stewart Copeland have mastered multiple genres and technics are true masters of their craft

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
Maybe the list should have been called the most famous or well known drummers in the last fifty years. The greatest of all time would be impossible for drummers to pick let alone leaving it to the general public.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lists like this should only include drummers who are true craftsman at their trade. What I mean to say is drummers who play and excel in multiple genres of music and styles. Innovators and mentors in their field. I am not discounting any drummer on the list but a great jazz drummer is a great jazz drummer...a 240 bpm metal drummer is an excellent metal drummer. Drummers like Steve Jordan, Ginger Baker, Neil Peart, and Stewart Copeland have mastered multiple genres and technics are true masters of their craft
That criteria would leave out to many drummers that many consider the greats. How would you rate a Gene Krupa, who was a true innovator on the drums? Buddy Rich would have no place on that list? Or Ringo, Bonham, Palmer or Moon?