GOATS - Greatest Drummers of All Time, As Voted By You

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sammy Davis Jr and Johnny Carson are not on this list either. They are way better drummers than Meg.

huitli

Reaction score
"Greatest" is an ambiguous word with many potential meanings, as the comments reflect. There are some truly "great" drummers whose tremendous skill I recognize, but I don't really like the way they play so they wouldn't be on my list. My (old fart's) view of the greatest drummers are those who changed the way people drummed--like (arguably) Hendrix on guitar. My greatest drummers list then has only 3 names, each equally talented and thus great: Gene Krupa who showed the world how to use the whole drum kit and play more than just martial rhythms on the drums (the first modern drummer); Max Roach who moved the beat from the bass drum to the ride cymbal (freeing drumming from the bass line beat and giving other players the independence and space to improvise--Coltrane couldn't have happened without Max's innovation IMHO); and Ginger Baker who, as someone who was completely untrained but remarkably talented, moved the beat back to the bass and created the sound that tends to dominate in (rock) drumming today. Though I never saw Gene Krupa play, I did see Buddy (and Ginger) and, in a real sense, Buddy was following in Krupa's footsteps and exploring the world he created. Likewise all of the great jazz drummers of the '50s and '60s were following Max. And I think most contemporary drummers are walking in Ginger's footstep's.

Just an old fart's opinion...

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
What's the greatest flavor of ice cream?

Such a question is really an insulting question to ones happiness.

Better yet... Which drummer made you feel good listening to him the greatest. For me? Sandy Nelson.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the greatest flavor of ice cream?

Such a question is really an insulting question to ones happiness.

Better yet... Which drummer made you feel good listening to him the greatest. For me? Sandy Nelson.

Cookies and cream is the best ice cream flavor.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Neil must of done something right. He is in the top three of every top drummer list out there.

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
Check the ingredients. Cream, milk, coco, sugar and egg yolk (which really makes it custard). You pay more for less.
I used to love Haagen Daz when I was younger.

They did not cut back on the quantity of certain ingredients that the typical companies did. They used extra butterfat that makes it stand out. More expensive to make it that way.

They also do not pump in all the air bubbles that the big companies do to make it look like more fluff and volume. Ben and Jerry's followed ther same principle of low air bubbles. It makes the ice cream denser.

And, it tastes better! No doubt about that.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I used to love Haagen Daz when I was younger.

They did not cut back on the quantity of certain ingredients that the typical companies did. They used extra butterfat that makes it stand out. More expensive to make it that way.

They also do not pump in all the air bubbles that the big companies do to make it look like more fluff and volume. Ben and Jerry's followed ther same principle of low air bubbles. It makes the ice cream denser.

And, it tastes better! No doubt about that.
Don’t know about other flavors. But, there’s no butter fat in the list of ingredients of Häagen-Dazs chocolate ice cream. It’s the egg yolk that makes it so amazing! It’s also what makes it custard, not really ice cream.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So (the drummer) who makes the worlds greatest ice cream is the one who obviously makes it by hand and is also the bestest at stirring/whipping/etc. technique, akin to manipulating a stick or a brush on the drumz, as well as being most flavourful...?? Irregardless of musical age or genre????
Oooooyeah!! I've got my spoon ready......ah crap now who's the goat spoon player....
bt

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Considering he was always in the Top 10 of any list Modern Drummer used to create, Alex Van Halen not being on there is a surprise.