Going to Attempt Recording my Band for the First Time

RustyNails

Reaction score
My band (3 piece) is poor and we don't have a lot of nice equipment, but we are going to attempt to produce a demo or ep with what equipment we have. We have a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 interface (two inputs), an SM57, SM58, and a little Zoom recorder with a couple small condenser mics in it.

Recording each part separately sounds like a nightmare, so we're going to try to record the whole room with those three things.

Here's my plan: Use the method above to mic (near) the snare with the SM57, mic the kick drum with the SM58, and have the Zoom recorder get the room (We've already tested the solo recorder in the center of the room and the guitar and cymbals sound pretty good) Then we'll probably have the keyboard player (who plays the bass parts) record a layer after the fact and the same with vocals.

Any other tips?

Last edited by a moderator:

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would suggest testing different locations for the Zoom. Center of the room has often thinnest sound, and in the corners you get more low end and beef. Then if you get a good sound EQ-vise at the corner but some elements, like guitar amp are low or high, try to turn the amp's direction to adjust.
I world first find a best and fullest sounding spot in the room and then adjust the band's balance accordingly.

RustyNails

Reaction score
Markkuliini said:
I would suggest testing different locations for the Zoom. Center of the room has often thinnest sound, and in the corners you get more low end and beef. Then if you get a good sound EQ-vise at the corner but some elements, like guitar amp are low or high, try to turn the amp's direction to adjust.
I world first find a best and fullest sounding spot in the room and then adjust the band's balance accordingly.
Thanks, I'll keep those things in mind