Going to DaVille for the Snare Drum Build

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Many thanks to Drumbumcrumb for aiming me in the direction of DaVille Drumworks for a new snare drum. As I mentioned in another thread, I have a real bug for a new snare drum. My issues have been finding a wooden snare drum that really speaks to me. (I was very close to getting an aluminum or steel recently.) I don't know why, but maple doesn't do it for me anymore. Beech and birch are fine, but they're not turning my head either. Oak...I was really close to ordering a new Yamaha hybrid oak, but I haven't really had the time to really lay into one and see if I'm in love with the drum.

However, I've really fallen in love with the sound of bubinga my Starclassic Bubinga kit. For me, this kit has been a game changer. And the more I'm looking into bubinga snares, I love what they have to offer. And with the hardwood being in the endangered list, I don't know how much longer drum companies will be making them. So I pushed aside my desire for a metal snare (of which there seem to be more than enough to choose from) and focus on a bubinga. I was close to a Hendrix bubinga stave on Reverb, but there were a few blemishes on the shell and hoops. Then there was the Bone snare that was 7 inches deep...originally going for more than $1700 and marked down to $525. I couldn't find out much about Bone, but to me they seemed to be the SJC of central Europe. The drum is beautiful...but I can't imagine it was ever worth that original price. Plus it wasn't a stave which is what I really wanted.

Then Drumbuncrumb recommended DaVille. I could get the stave construction I want at the depth I want...and his prices are incredible. So I'm now in touch with Terry at DaVille to get my snare built.

Here's where I need some advice. He offers a thicker shell without re-rings, and a thinner shell with the re-rings. I want a dry, loud, woody snare with a lot of crack, something that barks without a lot of ring. I keep waffling back and forth on which shell configuration to get. https://www.davilledrumworks.com/stave-shells

I'm a little more sure on the bearing edges: a full round over. These are the edges he offers: https://www.davilledrumworks.com/services

I'm asking him to build the whole drum for me. Nobody wants me handling any tools other than a drum key, especially when it concerns a custom made musical instrument. I'm picking all the hardware out for him to assemble. Any recommendation on lugs, hoops, or strainer? More importantly, anything you think I should stay away from because it's garbage?

I've been looking for parts on:
https://www.drumfactorydirect.com/
http://www.amdrumparts.com
http://drumgearonline.com/drumparts2.html

Any dealings with any of them? Right now I'm leaning towards using Drum Factory Direct for a Trick throw and butt and a pair of steel S-Hoops. These look the same as the hoops on my Black Panther snare and I really like those. Any other suggestions I should consider? please let me know.

Also, any lugs I should stay away from because they are cheap and don't hold their tuning?

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve done a lot of business with Terry at Daville.

For what you describe “dry, loud, woody, crack”, I’d go with the straight shell. The thinner shells are great, but have a lower fundamental, less crack, and more resonance.

I’d be careful with a full roundover-I’ve tried it and it really limits the tuning range. I much prefer 45’s with a round over. And if you want good sensitivity, regular 45’s on the bottom.

Ive gotten hardware from drum factory direct. Daville also sells lugs are hardware on their site that is very good. I’ve used the RCK strainer on a lot of builds.

The Inde strainer is my current favorite.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"Loud, crack, without a lot of ring" = no re-rings, go straight shell. The straight shell, hard wood Brady's I've played fit that bill, I'm sure you'll get that from Terry, as well. Note: a full round over might not be the best edge style for a "loud, crack, without a lot of ring", sound. Something to think about. Terry has nice hardware on his site, but DFO is great to deal with. Again, if you're looking for that "loud, crack, without a lot of ring", you might consider die casts. Plus you mentioned "dry", and die casts will help with that.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Solid shell, no rerings. Milled rings sound interesting but I've never seen that. As for hardware, I always like chrome tube lugs. What size shell? Maybe have the holes drilled and then install yourself. I like to assemble, though, much more than drilling holes! As for hardware/throw, Drum factory direct is reasonable. I had a bubinga snare once - it was way too loud for jazz for me, so I'd go die cast hoops, too.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've done a lot of business with Drum Factory Direct. They have always provided super good service and fast shipping. I really like that company.

Thick steel pressed hoops? Why not just go die-cast if you want weight and rigidity. Plus cast hoops do dry drums out a bit. Which would add to the sound you mentioned you wanted.

Why the Trick strainer? They work very well, but they're so big and heavy. Never really bothered me that much until I had a drum with one and had a slightly undersized bag. They stick out so far it was a little bit of a chore to slip it in. Mind you, I'm quite lazy and most people wouldn't give it a second thought, but that was where I started questioning the design. It's so much metal. Heavy and over engineered in my book.
Aestheticly, they can look nice, if the rest of the drum has that "tank-like, lots of metal/hardware look"; some Sonor drums pull it off really well. But unless you pick large lugs and hoops, a Trick may look out of place and you may find yourself wishing for a more simple, minimal design. I think they look terrible with normal, skinny tube lugs, for example.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
D.B., I've been rethinking the strainer...I think I may go with the Doc Sweeney strainer Terry offers. Aesthetically, I think it matches the tuber luges nicely and seems to be versatile.

The drum will be 7 inches deep. I'm opting for the S-Hoops over diecast because I can always dry the drum out the extra little bit with a zero-ring or a moon gel. I think this will be a nice middle ground and give me some flexibility while still drying the drum a bit. But I don;t want to stifle it.

The advice on shell config and edges is well noted, guys. Thank you. I think I may make some changes.

RobbiefromAtlanta

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So that Doc Sweeney throw looks like the one that Dunnett is about to release which looks like the throw that DW first used which I’m sure was a Camco/George Way model.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Yeah, you want the straight shell for sure. And you don’t want full roundover on both, that’s gonna be a very wooly, fat, vintage sound - not at all the sound you’re describing. If you like some fat but want that crack and bark, you might try a combo. As Ptrick says, a roundover/45 on top with 45/45 bottom might be the thing.

S-hoops are great, I love them and use them on toms - but they have a weird muffling effect on snares that I don’t like at all. Sounds like die cast would be a perfect choice for the sound you’re after and will match the Starclassics. (A pair of Ludwigs are about $100, that’s the most affordable option) It sounds as though you like a tight, dry, focused snare with a wicked rimshot - die cast will complement those qualities to a T. You’re only gonna build this thing once, go all out and do it up.

If you see this as being the snare to go with your Starclassics, maybe try lugs that “match” the kit well. Tama lugs are stupid expensive, but dFd has a lug called ‘arched designer single ended’ that looks Tama-ish. I got a very reasonable price on machined aluminum lugs from Champagne, he’s got some nice options. His Classic tube lug with a flush mounted receiver would be a great look for a modern snare (despite the Classic name, it’s not like a classic tube lug looks-wise) From your description, it sounds like 10 lugs might be the way to go for you.

You can’t go wrong with a Trick throw/butt, and it’s a very modern look to go with your modern drums. The R4 is pretty slick as well, if you’re looking for something a little out of the ordinary.

I’ve dealt with dFd and Drumsonsale, they’ve both been great to work with. Both ship ninja-fast, answer any questions, etc.

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Agree with the thick shell and a sharper edge for your request. I don't know if they can order, but Campro throw offs and buttplates are amazing, and pretty unheralded. Not sure why they haven't gotten much airtime, as they are very impressive. I love that you can remove the bottom head, and not have to re-adjust the bottom wires putting it back together.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you want the straight shell for sure. And you don’t want full roundover on both, that’s gonna be a very wooly, fat, vintage sound - not at all the sound you’re describing. If you like some fat but want that crack and bark, you might try a combo. As Ptrick says, a roundover/45 on top with 45/45 bottom might be the thing.

S-hoops are great, I love them and use them on toms - but they have a weird muffling effect on snares that I don’t like at all. Sounds like die cast would be a perfect choice for the sound you’re after and will match the Starclassics. (A pair of Ludwigs are about $100, that’s the most affordable option) It sounds as though you like a tight, dry, focused snare with a wicked rimshot - die cast will complement those qualities to a T. You’re only gonna build this thing once, go all out and do it up.

If you see this as being the snare to go with your Starclassics, maybe try lugs that “match” the kit well. Tama lugs are stupid expensive, but dFd has a lug called ‘arched designer single ended’ that looks Tama-ish. I got a very reasonable price on machined aluminum lugs from Champagne, he’s got some nice options. His Classic tube lug with a flush mounted receiver would be a great look for a modern snare (despite the Classic name, it’s not like a classic tube lug looks-wise) From your description, it sounds like 10 lugs might be the way to go for you.

You can’t go wrong with a Trick throw/butt, and it’s a very modern look to go with your modern drums. The R4 is pretty slick as well, if you’re looking for something a little out of the ordinary.

I’ve dealt with dFd and Drumsonsale, they’ve both been great to work with. Both ship ninja-fast, answer any questions, etc.
Again, thank you for all the advice. So you don't think the die cast would stifle the drum too much. I don't want it to be ringy, but I do want to hear the woodiness of the bubinga. I have that with by Starclassics (which have die cast rims), but I know snares are different animals, so I'm trying to be careful that I don't kill the drum.

By muffling, you mean you don't get the volume and projection from the drum you think you should get with S-Hoops?

I just went to the Champagne website. I love those Cito Tube lugs. Minimalistic and unique! Would also look good with the Doc Sweeney throw.
1592074590708.png

I'm hoping the finished drum will look different from the rest of the kit. I like when the snare really stands out visually.

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Again, thank you for all the advice. So you don't think the die cast would stifle the drum too much. I don't want it to be ringy, but I do want to hear the woodiness of the bubinga. I have that with by Starclassics (which have die cast rims), but I know snares are different animals, so I'm trying to be careful that I don't kill the drum.

By muffling, you mean you don't get the volume and projection from the drum you think you should get with S-Hoops?

I just went to the Champagne website. I love those Cito Tube lugs. Minimalistic and unique! Would also look good with the Doc Sweeney throw.
View attachment 446458
I'm hoping the finished drum will look different from the rest of the kit. I like when the snare really stands out visually.
Could look at the Angel hoops. I have a Segment Jarrah (very hard wood) shell 7x14 snare from O'Neill that came with die-cast hoops. The Angel hoops allow an amazing crack that is more woody/less metallic on a wood drum, and deliver the best cross sticks in the business. They also allows the drum to resonate more so you to hear the shell more pronounced vs. die-cast. That is my experience.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Could look at the Angel hoops. I have a Segment Jarrah (very hard wood) shell 7x14 snare from O'Neill that came with die-cast hoops. The Angel hoops allow an amazing crack that is more woody/less metallic on a wood drum, and deliver the best cross sticks in the business. They also allows the drum to resonate more so you to hear the shell more pronounced vs. die-cast. That is my experience.
Thank you! I'm on their site now. For that woody sound do you recommend their stainless steel, iron or aluminum?

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many thanks to Drumbumcrumb for aiming me in the direction of DaVille Drumworks for a new snare drum. As I mentioned in another thread, I have a real bug for a new snare drum. My issues have been finding a wooden snare drum that really speaks to me. (I was very close to getting an aluminum or steel recently.) I don't know why, but maple doesn't do it for me anymore. Beech and birch are fine, but they're not turning my head either. Oak...I was really close to ordering a new Yamaha hybrid oak, but I haven't really had the time to really lay into one and see if I'm in love with the drum.

However, I've really fallen in love with the sound of bubinga my Starclassic Bubinga kit. For me, this kit has been a game changer. And the more I'm looking into bubinga snares, I love what they have to offer. And with the hardwood being in the endangered list, I don't know how much longer drum companies will be making them. So I pushed aside my desire for a metal snare (of which there seem to be more than enough to choose from) and focus on a bubinga. I was close to a Hendrix bubinga stave on Reverb, but there were a few blemishes on the shell and hoops. Then there was the Bone snare that was 7 inches deep...originally going for more than $1700 and marked down to $525. I couldn't find out much about Bone, but to me they seemed to be the SJC of central Europe. The drum is beautiful...but I can't imagine it was ever worth that original price. Plus it wasn't a stave which is what I really wanted.

Then Drumbuncrumb recommended DaVille. I could get the stave construction I want at the depth I want...and his prices are incredible. So I'm now in touch with Terry at DaVille to get my snare built.

Here's where I need some advice. He offers a thicker shell without re-rings, and a thinner shell with the re-rings. I want a dry, loud, woody snare with a lot of crack, something that barks without a lot of ring. I keep waffling back and forth on which shell configuration to get. https://www.davilledrumworks.com/stave-shells

I'm a little more sure on the bearing edges: a full round over. These are the edges he offers: https://www.davilledrumworks.com/services

I'm asking him to build the whole drum for me. Nobody wants me handling any tools other than a drum key, especially when it concerns a custom made musical instrument. I'm picking all the hardware out for him to assemble. Any recommendation on lugs, hoops, or strainer? More importantly, anything you think I should stay away from because it's garbage?

Any dealings with any of them? Right now I'm leaning towards using Drum Factory Direct for a Trick throw and butt and a pair of steel S-Hoops. These look the same as the hoops on my Black Panther snare and I really like those. Any other suggestions I should consider? please let me know.

Also, any lugs I should stay away from because they are cheap and don't hold their tuning?
This is just a shout out to DaVille - I recommend them highly. I had Terry make me some wood hoops for my 16" Metro Jam bass drum right before the shutdown and he did an excellent job. Sounds good at home, but I'm looking forward to giving them a trial by fire at a gig.

IMG_0827.JPG

jeffh

Reaction score
Terry is an excellent builder, and very knowledgeable. If you're relying on him to do the build, you might want to tap into his expertise for guidance on these questions. As a builder myself, I'm very particular about what the small decisions contribute to making a custom drum achieve its goals. Since all these decisions relate to one another, a good builder will have the best view of the entire picture -- it's part of what you're paying him for.

PS -- It's also what separates the real pro builders from the weekend warriors. It ain't just about woodworking. :)

fibes3

Reaction score

I really like the Indie strainer and butt plate. RCW is another good strainer option.

I would recommend both Drum Factory and Drum Gear online.

I've never used AM Drum parts.

Good luck with your project!

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Terry is an excellent builder, and very knowledgeable. If you're relying on him to do the build, you might want to tap into his expertise for guidance on these questions. As a builder myself, I'm very particular about what the small decisions contribute to making a custom drum achieve its goals. Since all these decisions relate to one another, a good builder will have the best view of the entire picture -- it's part of what you're paying him for.

PS -- It's also what separates the real pro builders from the weekend warriors. It ain't just about woodworking. :)
Very much agreed. I plan on taking all of this advice and talking to Terry about it before anything is agreed upon. But all of this comes in greatly when building my pool of knowledge. It's also great to get ideas from you guys to bounce off of him. I'm sure that ideas for one type of wood won't work as well for another type of wood. I'm expecting he'll clear all that up for me without breaking a sweat. LOL

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 446458
I was looking at these for a while. They're pretty thin. And don't they only come in stainless or something? Might look a little funny with shiny chrome hoops...