Going to DaVille for the Snare Drum Build

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm still going back and forth in my mind on the lugs. I love the simple look of these. But in the end, if Terry thinks they won't look right with the hoops, I'll use his tube lugs. Waiting for my quote before I talk with him again. My bad, I forgot to talk bearing edges and vent holes with him.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The bubinga stave build is underway!!

Terry sent me a pic of boards to choose from.
SAM_1117.JPG

I took the one on the left...love that grain and color texture!

We're going with a 7x14 shell, 3/8" thick (9.5mm) with no re-ring, 10 tube lugs, 30 degree roundover edges, a single vent hole, chrome tube lugs, 3mm triple flange hoops, the Doc Sweeney throw and butt, 20 strand wires and a satin lacquer finish. It's going to be a beautiful instrument. I'll post pics during the construction phase as Terry sends them.

Thank you again, Dan, for getting me pointed in the right direction.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can’t wait to see this unfold!

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Grain is almost always vertical on stave shells FYI. That looks great, I bet it’ll sound even better!

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was curious as to why vertical grain btw, and found this on the Hendrix drums page:

“Vertically oriented wood grain lowers the shells fundamental note, locates the bearing edge on the end grain of the wood, which is much stronger than the face grain. It also increases the shells responsiveness and sensitivity because sound travels twice as fast with the grain than it does against the grain.”

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's great info. I hadn't thought about any of that. I'm so glad I have Terry doing this for me. He's really on top of his game!

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If the grain were horizontal it would be a segmented shell, not stave. Segmented are more time consuming to make as they require many more cuts, multiple rings to be made, then leveled and then all glued together. There tends to be more waste with segmented shells as well, that is unless you cut the individual segments with a radius cut, which I have seen done before.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I actually do own a horizontal grain walnut stave, and it still sounds great!
4DFD2524-EC99-4D2B-AC74-4EC20EBF68BD.jpeg

lawsater

Reaction score
I actually do own a horizontal grain walnut stave, and it still sounds great!
I have never seen or heard this being done before, it means you are cutting the staves across the grain and gluing the end grain

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have never seen or heard this being done before, it means you are cutting the staves across the grain and gluing the end grain
It was a first for me. Done by Melany Drums. Check them out on Instagram or Facebook.

It sounds great! I’d say maybe slightly lower in pitch, which combined with the Walnut wood, makes for a vibe-ey dark drum. And the grain is beautiful.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
2 new pics in my mailbox from Terry. Looking great so far! He said he just turned it and did the edges. I'm assuming turning it means rounding it completely inside and out? C'mon guys, ed-gee-cate me!

Attachments

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Man, that turned out beautifully! You’re going to love it!

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Holy crap! That is a sweet looking drum.
Sounds like you had a great experience with DaVille, too.
Can't wait to hear your impression of how it plays!

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have no doubts I will be thrilled with it. I promise to let you guys know on Saturday. I hope to put in a video clip if possible, but I'm limited to my phone for that, so it may not be worth it. But from the experience so far, I have nothing but rave reviews for Terry at DaVille in every respect. He's a real gentleman who has a love and respect for what he does which translates into what he is making for you. And to provide a true hand-crafted experience...I'm really ecstatic about the whole thing.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Slight delay on the shipping, so the drum arrived this afternoon.

I cracked open the box immediately. Packing was solid, with thick foam-core lining all six sides of the box and packing peanuts jammed around the drum.

The shell is even more eye-catching in person. The satin finish really allows the grain to pop.

I got it on the stand as fast as I could, decided I didn't like the tuning and decided to tear the drum down. I would have done that anyway, to check the edges and the inside of the shell. And I had to smell the inside, like Shoeless Joe in Field of Dreams. LOL I love the smell of the freshly worked wood.

The shell is even darker on the inside, the bed is great and the edges are perfect. The heads seat just right. They tuned right up, I mean hardly any fussing at all. I think there was one lug on each side that needed an extra tweak. And I'm sure that had more to do with human error on my part for not turning a particular tension rod enough.

When I reattached the wires, I used cord instead, just a personal preference. My other three snares all have dual side tensioning (this one doesn't), so I really took my time on this, making sure the snares were centered and lined up right. (The Doc Sweeney strainer is solid, but proved to be a little stiff. Not a reflection on DaVille in any way. The strainer, as with everything on this drum, was my choice.)

Now it was finally time to get it back behind the kit. Nope, snares to loose and the batter head tuned to low. Thirty seconds of adjustments and...holy sheeet. Bottom end for days, and so much body. I've never played a 7 inch wood snare before, and this gave me exactly what I wanted, a thick, woody, hearty sound. Such a fat drum. Yet still pretty sensitive and responsive. Resonant and robust. I think I might want to torque the top head up a tiny but more. But that will have to wait for tomorrow.

Terry's work screams of precision, attention to detail and refined skill. All shows through in his product. The next time you're in a market for a wood snare, I can't recommend him enough. All you need is a little lead time. And the price cannot be beat. For only a 6 bucks more than the ply bubinga snare I was going to order, I got a handcrafted stave instrument, custom made to my exact specifications. No compromises. And I'm supporting an independent artisan in a particularly tough economic climate.

I wish he spun metal shells too, because I know what my next order would be.

Latest posts