Going to DaVille for the Snare Drum Build

ronyd

Reaction score
All comment s are well taken. DFO is great for parts for sure. I build a steam bent zebrawood from Black Swamp and most hardware came from DF0. Zebrawod was a bit trickey to drill but came out nicely and responsive as all hell.

I"m going with Daville for sure. Don;t have a stave and itching to build one up. Going with 1/2" Purpleheart with lighter color wood horizontal inlay. Hardware will be arch 2 lugs and throw which are all from Black Swamp excellent hardware, and S-Hoops, and 45's top and bottom. Just undecided on depth, maybe 5.5 - 6". was thinking of re-rings but you guys convince me otherwise now.

any thoughts on depth please send in your comment.

Attachments

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
All comment s are well taken. DFO is great for parts for sure. I build a steam bent zebrawood from Black Swamp and most hardware came from DF0. Zebrawod was a bit trickey to drill but came out nicely and responsive as all hell.

I"m going with Daville for sure. Don;t have a stave and itching to build one up. Going with 1/2" Purpleheart with lighter color wood horizontal inlay. Hardware will be arch 2 lugs and throw which are all from Black Swamp excellent hardware, and S-Hoops, and 45's top and bottom. Just undecided on depth, maybe 5.5 - 6". was thinking of re-rings but you guys convince me otherwise now.

I’d say go with whatever size you normally play. I do actually prefer the thinner 1/4” shell with milled in rings to the straight 1/2” shell. The older style 1/2” have a lot of crack, but not as much body as the thinner shell with rings (which because of the rings, has similar crack, but quite a bit more low end).

My personal preference is 6” or deeper. The shallower shells I miss the shell tone.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Yeah, man! Go for it. Terry does beautiful work. I hope to try another one next year. My plan is to try a 6" shell with the re-rings. Right now I really like the look of the bloodwood. And I may go free-floating on it.

ronnieDee

Reaction score
Could look at the Angel hoops. I have a Segment Jarrah (very hard wood) shell 7x14 snare from O'Neill that came with die-cast hoops. The Angel hoops allow an amazing crack that is more woody/less metallic on a wood drum, and deliver the best cross sticks in the business. They also allows the drum to resonate more so you to hear the shell more pronounced vs. die-cast. That is my experience.
wow Angel pretty steep $$$ for hoops

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Their stuff is very pricey. Drum Factory Direct has a great selection. I haven't gotten anything from them yet, but several guys here have given them a thumbs up.

ronnieDee

Reaction score
Their stuff is very pricey. Drum Factory Direct has a great selection. I haven't gotten anything from them yet, but several guys here have given them a thumbs up.
yeah i dont see benefit spending that kind of $$$ for hoops...
DFO is all you really need to access parts.

still undecided on 5-5” or 6” and going with 3/8” straight wall