header.nohb.html

Going to New Orleans For the First Time: Venue Advice Needed

jacebart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Headed to NOLA for the first time with my wife and two kids Jan. 25th-28th. We'll be staying in the Quarter. Will probably have one night of music with kids and one night without kids. I'd be very grateful for any advice about good places to go and places we might want to avoid.

Thanks!

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are other threads on this here (I've learned from them), but experiencing the Maple Leaf is a must. Especially Johnny V is playing.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not music related, but DO NOT miss the opportunity to walk thru the cemeteries. I spent hours on end doing my own yours. It will be something your family will never forget, I promise.

GeeDeeEmm

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Frenchman Street yes!
Bourbon Street No!
That rule combined with the wwwoz calendar basically made my only stay amazing.
Cory Henry is playing the night you get in, Kermit Ruffins is playing a couple times, there's obviously preservation hall, etc.
Here's the link to the calendar (also wwoz is ALWAYS streaming on line, so if you need to get in the mood in the meanwhile . . .)

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
Stanton Moore now owns Tipitina's -- an historic club.
Bourbon St? Way touristy, but you should at least walk down the major few blocks (preferably with a beer in hand), just to say you did.

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick stroll thru Bourbon Street...watch where you step ;-) then enjoy Frenchman Street and just go club hopping. Great music will be easily found...

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've never been to New Orleans myself but I have a friend from college who owns the Blue Nile on Frenchman St. Also if you are staying in town the evening of the 28th, Stanton Moore is playing at Snug Harbor.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Last time I was in New Orleans was in 1999. I was on a motorcycle trip across country at the the time. I don’t know what it is like now but at that point in time I left the French Quarter, heading North, looking for Route 10 and ended up in the most ominous, dangerous area I have ever been in in my life.

Prior to that point I had driven motorcycle trough Ciudad Juarez, Mexico City, North Philly as well as working in prisons my entire adult life and had never experienced that sense of palpable danger.

My point is; Your trip will likely be uneventful in that sense but don’t sleep on the job in New Orleans. The place is full of killers.

Reactions: JDA

CAMDRUMS

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Preservation hall would be good for music and kids. We took a riverboat cruise that had a good jazz band - the kids might like that as well.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Last time I was in New Orleans was in 1999. I was on a motorcycle trip across country at the the time. I don’t know what it is like now but at that point in time I left the French Quarter, heading North, looking for Route 10 and ended up in the most ominous, dangerous area I have ever been in in my life.

Prior to that point I had driven motorcycle trough Ciudad Juarez, Mexico City, North Philly as well as working in prisons my entire adult life and had never experienced that sense of palpable danger.

My point is; Your trip will likely be uneventful in that sense but don’t sleep on the job in New Orleans. The place is full of killers.

I own a house in New Orleans. I'll just say things have definitely changed in the past 20 years. It's not rural New Hampshire, but that is both good and bad.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do, DON'T wear a Minnesota Vikings jersey anywhere.

Or, LA Rams.

Reactions: JDA

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Preservation hall would be good for music and kids. We took a riverboat cruise that had a good jazz band - the kids might like that as well.
Yes one used to have the Dukes of Dixieland who are really good. I cant recall which boat but I'm sure it is easily found out there. Also festivals are good. We went to the French Qtr Festival and it was great.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Good point. I've been lost a couple of times while in NO and ended up in BAD neighborhoods. I got a lot of evil glances from the denisons that made it clear that I was not welcome. Windows up, doors locked, rolling stops at stop signs, and a 9mm between my legs, I made hasty retreats. Thanks for the hospitality, but no thanks!

But it's no different here in Little Rock, as most other places. But here, I know where the shooting galleries are; in NO I'm ripe for picking.

Just exercise common sense and stay close to beaten paths and you will be fine. It's a great experience.

GeeDeeEmm

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good point. I've been lost a couple of times while in NO and ended up in BAD neighborhoods. I got a lot of evil glances from the denisons that made it clear that I was not welcome. Windows up, doors locked, rolling stops at stop signs, and a 9mm between my legs, I made hasty retreats. Thanks for the hospitality, but no thanks!

But it's no different here in Little Rock, as most other places. But here, I know where the shooting galleries are; in NO I'm ripe for picking.

Just exercise common sense and stay close to beaten paths and you will be fine. It's a great experience.

GeeDeeEmm

Some serious exaggeration and unneeded panicking going on in this thread. NOLA may have deserved this kind of reputation years ago, but it has really cleaned up quite a bit. I mean, come on, it's not Detroit or Baltimore or rural West Virginia. The crime rate has dramatically decreased over the past several years, and most of the communities around the quarter have started to turn around and gentrify. Are there places that I wouldn't walk around late at night? Yes, as is the case in most towns in the country.

Personally, I wouldn't go to most rural counties in this country, with the backwoods mentality, but that's just me.

Besides all of that, most of the music venues mentioned are in safe (or relatively safe), well-traveled parts of town, so there shouldn't be any huge cause for concern.

organicdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Frenchman Street is the best bang for you’re musical buck. They have a ton of bars within a two minute walk. The Spotted Cat, the d.b.a, Snug Harbor just to name a few. Check their websites for the lineups. There are more music bars than those on that block, but they are my favorite. They also have a great open-air art market right next to the Spotted Cat. Really chill vibe down there, and totally different than Bourbon.

Tipitinas and Maple Leaf are cool too.

For food, I highly recommend Cachon or Pesche. Cachon for pork, Pesche for seafood. The ribs at Cachon are amazing.

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's "cochon" for anyone who's trying to google! We went literally the week after Mardi Gras so we were able to get in at the bar after just a 15 minute wait, but my understanding is is you should try to get rez there weeks beforehand usually. Their sandwich shop around the corner "Cochon Butcher" was also great - and is home of what remains the best hot sauce I've ever had (sweet potato habañero)

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score

You
But it's no different here in Little Rock, as most other places. But here, I know where the shootin

GeeDeeEmm
Evil glances and you pull out the gat? Over glances? A

You don’t stop for the stop signs? Putting others at risk over the fear someone’s going to jump into your car? For what? Does that even happen?
Are you in fear every time you leave the Cul De Sac?

Oh, for the OP, take the street car to the end of its run through the garden district, have a beer at one the the many local spots, then ride back.I think it’s $2.

Smile at people. What you think is an “evil glance” may just be someone having a bad day.

Last edited: