Gold vs Chrome Hardware

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey guys. Been going back and forth on doing this lately and thought I'd see what you guys thought. I halfway don't like the gold hardware on this Snare as much as when I received it. Thinking of changing the tubes and hoops to chrome.

I of course have all chrome hardware on everything else and don't really mind that it doesn't match, but thinking it may pop more against this wood. Thoughts?

20200721_123711~02.jpg

Quai34

Reaction score
Well, gold is a warm color and this wood is super warm in term of visual aspect too, so, that's why they decided to put gold hardware.... With Chrome it might have a weird contrast, well, it will pop more for sure but the continuity in the colors in this snare is fantastic for me!!!

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a DW Craviotto with gold hardware, and used to own a beautiful Yamaha Custom Maple with gold hardware, and in both cases liked the look quite well. Still like the DW, my favorite snare. I like the gold on your drum as well, and think you can find better things to do with your money and time than switch to chrome. Just my opinion.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a couple chrome hoops sitting around, try them on the drum first to see what it looks like before committing to the whole changeover.

I like the look on the wood. Plus the gold matches the badge. It's already on the drum, why spend the extra $$ to just change the look. :dontknow:

Spend the $$ on more gear. :thumbright: :laughing5:

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
White gold is the gold gold according to my wife. She had all the old stuff melted down and new stuff made in White gold. It looks like nickel to me !

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
On a guitar, sparingly. On drums??? Maaaaaaybe just on the snare. Definitely not all the hoops, rods, lugs and hardware

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't like gold on anything. It seems to wear through, tarnish, etc. and look ratty much quicker than chrome. I vote chrome.
Gold does not tarnish. There can be some tarnish if the gold is an alloy with enough other metal but gold itself doesn't react to the environment.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey guys. Been going back and forth on doing this lately and thought I'd see what you guys thought. I halfway don't like the gold hardware on this Snare as much as when I received it. Thinking of changing the tubes and hoops to chrome.

I of course have all chrome hardware on everything else and don't really mind that it doesn't match, but thinking it may pop more against this wood. Thoughts?

View attachment 524300
Beautiful drum! Hardware goes well with the drum finish. I wouldn’t change it.

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I generally don’t go for bursts or fades. But, that drum is gorgeous! Doesn’t look like a wrap in that pic. Looks like crystalized caramel. Think I’ll go make myself an espresso now.
As far as I know, Espresso Burst is a Maxwell offering only. I had a kit in that wrap, but with chrome, not gold. It was the same kit played by Stanton Moore in video here, although by the time it came to me, the 16" floor tom had migrated elsewhere, and one of the autographed heads was gone. The bass drum batter head was practically broken thru where Stanton whapped it.

IMG_1846.JPG

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
As far as I know, Espresso Burst is a Maxwell offering only. I had a kit in that wrap, but with chrome, not gold. It was the same kit played by Stanton Moore in video here, although by the time it came to me, the 16" floor tom had migrated elsewhere, and one of the autographed heads was gone. The bass drum batter head was practically broken thru where Stanton whapped it.

View attachment 524418

Very cool! Looks like it darkened from the time Stanton owned it. I like the darker version better myself.