Golden Wedding solo

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
provide a little info on "golden wedding" before we delve into this pdf /thanks/ what is it/what was it/

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is web page comparing the Frank C original to another popular 1976 arrangement.

La Cinquantaine" (French "the fiftieth anniversary") is a piece of music which was composed by Jean Gabriel-Marie in 1887.

A swing arrangement of the work by James "Jiggs" Noble, recorded in New York City in late 1940 or early 1941 by Woody Herman and his orchestra as "The Golden Wedding", became a 1941 hit and a jazz standard. The record is notable for its extended (34 bars) drum solo by Frankie Carlson.

Frank L Carlson was born in New York, New York in 1914 where he studied drums. He was a rarity in his time as he played drums left handed. His break came when he performed with Woody Herman’s First Herd from 1936 to 1942. After departing Herman’s band Carlson headed to the West Coast of the United States where he gained notoriety and much work for MGM on film soundtracks as well as backing Doris Day, Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire, and Elvis Presley. Carlson retired to Hawaii in the 1960s when studio work was declining.

This solo is 34 bars in length and for the purposes of analysis the solo has been divided into an A and a B section, The A section comprises bars 1 to 22 of the solo, and the B section is from bar 23 to bar 34 inclusive. The rationale behind this division is that the A section is completely devoted to the tom-toms with a bass drum for pulse or accenting. In the B section we hear the introduction of the snare drum and cymbals as the solo builds up to its climactic finish

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Herman did a third version with Sonny Igoe called the New Golden Wedding.

Interesting to hear the 3 great players.

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think that is just the beginning of the whole track. Details below.

Happy Thanksgiving Joe to you and family

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Ludwig26

Reaction score
LOVE that/this song SO....... much always wondered what brand/mode/series &size drums Frankie Carlson played,
I'm assuming &thinking as far as cymbals either 20s-40's " A" Zildjians or K"s?.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

can hear the double bass at :19 (with hollering
and (owning a premier set for 26) the Premier tom tone

OZjazzer

Reaction score
I have learned that this tune was popular down under. Cheers Mate.
It certainly was in the 50’s and early 60’s when I started playing. Like a lot of us back then I had zero technique and the thought of even attempting this was akin to flying to Mars. You always checked to make sure there wasn’t a good clarinet player in the band before you took the gig.